My Wife Calls me "Dougie"

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: My Wife Calls me "Dougie"

Post by mutepointe »

My name is Regis, my family has never called me anything else. Occasinally people pop into my life that call me Rege but eventunally they go with Regis. The only nickname that all people come up with for me, no matter where I lived and no matter where they knew me from (work, school, whatever) is Mister Regis. Even when I was young man, that was the nickname. It must fit.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Peewit
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

My mom's name is Elizabeth. When she was born, her father was away prospecting for oil in South America. His name was Theron. He got home when she was a few months old, and informed his wife that little Elizabeth was going to be called 'Teedy'. He would give no reason, but his word was law, I guess, and the name stuck. Mom is now almost 90 and has been known as Teedy all her life. My sister has a theory that when Theron was working with his buddies after becoming a father, he thought of her as 'Theron's daughter' and shortened that to 'T.D.' By the time he got home and met her, he thought that made a good name. I like it too, and we all like the mystery.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Whistlin' Will

Post by Whistlin' Will »

I don't think we have any nicknames in our family, unless you count normal "shortening" of names. Such as how my first name is William, but I go by Will.

However, I do have 3 older brothers and I have been called by their name at least once each by both parents. :boggle:
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Whistlin' Will wrote:I don't think we have any nicknames in our family, unless you count normal "shortening" of names. Such as how my first name is William, but I go by Will.

However, I do have 3 older brothers and I have been called by their name at least once each by both parents. :boggle:
Will, as people often will do, they add a syllable to a name to make it 'cute". I was very close to a friend's child as he was going up. The boy referred to me as "Dougo". If someone were to call you "Willy", would that sound OK and be alright with you?
Whistlin' Will

Post by Whistlin' Will »

Doug_Tipple wrote:If someone were to call you "Willy", would that sound OK and be alright with you?
That depends on their gender and age... :D
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Denny

Post by Denny »

ah, analogy.... fraught, innit
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I knew a girl that didn't think my name suited and so chose a different name all together like Rick or Rich. I didn't stay an acquaintance for long. That was a bit more than adding one syllable though.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
doogieman

Post by doogieman »

I'm also a Doug - way back in college someone noticed that if you pronounce the "ou" in Doug the way it is pronounced in the word "through", my name would sound like Doog. I have been Doog or Doogie to a large group of people ever since. When I wa playing jazz my band was the Doogie Hill Project.

My Mrs. just calls be Doug.
2 Blessed 2B Stressed
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

Charlene or Char (pronounced "shar" not like charcoal). My father called me "Charlie Dawn" sometimes. My father's name was Charles, he went by Chuck except when he was with his family, then he was "Buster" because his sisters couldn't say "brother" correctly. My mother's name was Dorothy but my father called her Dot or Dottie. My husband is Calvin - his mother uses the full name but he prefers Cal. Our daughter is Jennifer, we usually call her Jenny or Jen. The dog has the most nicknames - he's Petey but we call him Peter the dog, Petey puppy, Peter Pawlicker, or Mr. Nose.
Charlene
cadancer

Post by cadancer »

I was Jackie until I went to kindergarten... boy was I upset when my folks told me my name was John and I should use that my first day in school.

Geez... ya think I could have gotten some warning?

...john

P.S. The older (70s +) friends of the family called me Jackie until they died. I still have a Christmas stocking with Jackie embroidered on it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just please don't call me "Nano" in the 3D. Dammit, I'm Jason. Jason. Even "Jay" or "Jayce", god help me and if you really must, are preferable to that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

My wife decided, for reasons best known to herself, to call me "Fred". This is a variant on, "Are you ready, Freddy?" Then we got out miniature Schnauzer, whom she named "Freddy" which is short for Frederica. I decided to have some fun with the name, so I decided that, since Freddy is of German origin, that I would alter her name to: (drum roll, please!) Pfreddee. It causes no end of trouble when I spell it for people, but I don't care. I *like* my variation on a theme.

With best regards,

Pfreddee(Stephen) As you can plainly see, my user name is Pfreddee.
Denny

Post by Denny »

On the internet no one knows you're a dog.

ya shouldn't give too much away...
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Doggy wrote:On the internet no one knows you're a dog.
I know you're a dog.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Denny

Post by Denny »

more of a cat, I'd think