Question: Generation Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Corgicrazed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Question: Generation Whistles

Post by Corgicrazed »

Okay, I know I'm at it again.... But what can you expect with W.H.O.A.D? :D

I am now interested in buying a Generation whistle.

Has anyone had any experiance with these? If so, how would you rate them?

I have also heard that with Generation whistles the nickel whistles are louder then the brass ones. Is this true? :-?

All suggestions will be extremely appreciated. Thanks again!
Last edited by Corgicrazed on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Feadoggie

Re: Generation Whistles

Post by Feadoggie »

Corgicrazed wrote:I am now interested in buying a Generation whistle. Has anyone had any experiance with these? If so, how would you rate them?
You're pullin' our collective chain, right?

Generations are pretty much the standard of the industry for traditional Irish repertoire. Most players start on one. Many will play nothing but. We are all obligated to own a shoe box of them over time. Some swear by them; some swear at them. YMMV.
Corgicrazed wrote:I have also heard that with Generation whistles the nickel whistles are louder then the brass ones. Is this true?
I'd say this is part of the Gen mythology. Believe what you will.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Question: Generation Whistles

Post by MTGuru »

Yah Corgi, search the board for Generation or Gen. Or just go buy a few stock Gens, or the whole set of six (around $50).
Corgicrazed wrote:I have also heard that with Generation whistles the nickel whistles are louder then the brass ones. Is this true? :-?
No. Or maybe yes. I mean ... no. :wink:

Pat D'Arcy is selling Gen D blue-tops for $10 locally. If you pick it up in person, he'll give you a whistle lesson. Which will ruin your playing for life. Don't say I didn't warn you ...

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83010
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

You could search through all the many threads here about Generations... hours of reading, much of it very interesting.

Bottom line, Generations vary quite a bit from whistle to whistle, so to get one that you know will play well, get a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" one.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I've had Gens in all keys made for a good number of years, but my purchases are from quite a while ago; all positive especially terrific Bflats with both red and blue caps.

Saw a set of Gens in a whistle shop up here in Hudson - think they were $11 each, but I think the set may have had more than 6, I'll check it out.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

pancelticpiper wrote:You could search through all the many threads here about Generations... hours of reading, much of it very interesting.

Bottom line, Generations vary quite a bit from whistle to whistle, so to get one that you know will play well, get a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" one.
Well, actually, that's not the bottom line. The bottom line is pretty much what's in dispute.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Bottom line, Generations vary quite a bit from whistler to whistler, so get to know one that you know will play well...
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

pancelticpiper wrote:...Bottom line, Generations vary quite a bit from whistle to whistle, so to get one that you know will play well, get a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" one.
Dale wrote:Well, actually, that's not the bottom line. The bottom line is pretty much what's in dispute.
But for a new whistler who may not be sure whether he/she or the whistle is the issue, getting a tweaked one from Jerry does remove that (potential) aspect of the issue. Of course then there is no one to blame but the whistler....
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
fearfaoin

Re: Generation Whistles

Post by fearfaoin »

Feadoggie wrote:Some swear by them; some swear at them.
I think that's the line of the year, honestly.
hoopy mike wrote:Bottom line, Generations vary quite a bit from whistler to whistler
Close second.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

my 2 votes:
-spend the extra $$ on a Freeman Tweaked Gen (no matter what key or material)
-i've owned both, and i personally prefer the brass
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I was playing at an Irish session in a music store a couple of weeks ago, and a fiddler said
she wanted to learn whistle, so I took her to the whistles and we picked up a Gen D brass
and I played it. It was perfectly lovely, no squawking, gorgeous interesting
tone. She bought it. I went home and wept.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Way back in the day, somewhere around 2000 or 2001, I bought a box of generations and put them all up against my tuner. Many of them had big tuning deviations, using my most steady breath at the time. Some were way scratchy, some squawky, some lovely.

Of course, I'm just a guy, not a machine. And I only had been playing about 5 years at that time, so take that for what it's worth. Many older players have stories about the effort spent picking a "good un" (or tweaking, or getting one gifted to them), so I tend to believe that, at least at one point, there were rare gems to be found among a sea of non-impressive Generations.

That said, while I haven't had the luxury of buying a box of them lately, I've had a more favorable impression of the Generations that I've picked up in recent years. Has Generation quality control gotten better? Hard to say. Have I improved as a whistler in that time? Indubitoubly.

It's not as cut and dried an issue as I would prefer ;)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

When everything else in life seems chaotic and scary, I can always come back here and know this discussion will be going on.

Gens are great. Play 'em. If they seem bad, tweak 'em. If you mess 'em up, ditch 'em and buy more. Store the mangled carcasses in shoe boxes. Or buy one from Jerry. Gens are great.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

How in the world does this question keep coming up? I'm one of the newer members and it seems I've seen this at least once a month. Although, maybe I should take the positive approach; it must mean that more people are taking up the whistle!

By now you've heard everything there is to know.
Let me sum up:

They are inconsistent. They are inexpensive. You can therefore, take a chance on "tweaking" one yourself using instructions on this site. And Jerry Freeman makes them sing better than you ever will if you're not technically inclined or don't want to bother. Just get a few and be sure to get at least one from Jerry. His Bb Gen is legendary IMO.

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
robert schuler

Post by robert schuler »

What I don't understand is this... I can buy a Gen whistle for under 10 bucks and a whole set of useful keys for under $50. And I should be satisfied, I should be set for life... But I'm not. I still want to buy very expensive whistles... Bob.
Oh body swayed to music, O brightening glance,
How can we know the dancer from the dance?... WB Yeats