Head joint comparison

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Head joint comparison

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hi all. I uploaded two versions of the Hills Of Clare using my Firth, Pond & Co. flute. One version using the Jon C. hj, the other using the Abel hj. Any thoughts on tone, etc. appreciated. Thanks in advance. In the posting clips sticky.
Arbo
tucson_whistler

Re: Head joint comparison

Post by tucson_whistler »

the John C hj sounds a little bit more pure to me, the Abel a bit darker (more undertones). not sure which you prefer.

are they both fully lined? same wood?

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

tucson_whistler wrote:the John C hj sounds a little bit more pure to me, the Abel a bit darker (more undertones). not sure which you prefer.

are they both fully lined? same wood?

cheers,
eric
The JonC. is lined, the Abel partially lined.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

interesting. i usually seem to prefer the lined hjs, but here i think i'd go for the Abel ;)

no slight to John C; i love his stuff too :)

cheers,
e
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I much prefer the Jon C hj personally [edited to add: as they sound to me in those two clips]. I agree that it's purer, but it also has more 'ring' to it. To my ear, there's a funny sort of harsh quality to the Abel hj which I'm not keen on, whereas the Jon C has a nice tone, pure, ringy, but still with enough reediness for interest.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I prefer the clip you have indicated is the Jon C. headjoint. The consistency and sweetness of tone over the range seems to be more suited to playing an air such as this. YMMV for other types of tunes.
Cubitt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cubitt »

I liked the Abel more. The texture of the tone was more pleasing. The Jon C. was a bit harsh for my taste, especially for a slow air, but please understand I am nitpicking.
"In times of trial, swearing often provides a solace denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I like the low octave of the Abell, and the high octave of Jon's.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Jon C.

Both are nice but you just seem to be producing a nice solid tone on the JC head. I guess it's what one prefers to hear.

Which head do you have more time on?

Your tone is getting really wonderfully focused and I noticed you are throwing in more finger vibrato. That's good.

Where did you learn this setting? It sounds familiar.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

tucson_whistler wrote:interesting. i usually seem to prefer the lined hjs, but here i think i'd go for the Abel ;)

no slight to John C; i love his stuff too :)

cheers,
e
This was a replacement head for his antique flute, so the original liner was used. It is made from one of the last pieces of cocuswood that matched the original flute very well...
the Abel embouchure has a more modern shape embouchure, which gives a nice clear tone, that is easily played. The embouchure that I cut for his replacement head is more of a traditional round oval, which I think produces a sweeter tone, but is quite a bit more difficult to play. I think it is worth it in the long run, but that is just my two cents worth.
But all in all Arbo, you sound good in both clips, what I hear is Arbo playing in both clips... :D
Keep up the good work! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Aanvil wrote:Jon C.

Both are nice but you just seem to be producing a nice solid tone on the JC head. I guess it's what one prefers to hear.

Which head do you have more time on?

Your tone is getting really wonderfully focused and I noticed you are throwing in more finger vibrato. That's good.

Where did you learn this setting? It sounds familiar.
I do have more time in on the Abell hj. I like both of the hjs. I have to admit that Jon C.'s replacement head does take more effort and to be honest, I am still getting use to it. I think I am moving toward its full potential, but I am not there yet! It is interesting to hear the many comments.... just confirms that everyone has a preference for timbre and purity of sound (not to mention playing styles, etc.).

Arbo

P.s. Oh, I think I learned this off of one of the flute obsession cds, though that was a while ago, so I have probably turned this tune into my own...
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

ImNotIrish wrote:Oh, I think I learned this off of one of the flute obsession cds, though that was a while ago, so I have probably turned this tune into my own...
The tune sounded to me like "Sé Fáth Mo Bhuartha" ('Tis My Bitter Sorrow), not as played by Eoghan MacAogáin on Wooden Flute Obsession 1. It's from his 2nd CD, "The Clare Hills" (also the name of an air he wrote - not this tune).

Fiddler's Companion has Irish lyrics and translation, and an ABC transcription: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/SEA.htm (2nd tune)

Kevin Krell
Last edited by kkrell on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

kkrell wrote:
ImNotIrish wrote:Oh, I think I learned this off of one of the flute obsession cds, though that was a while ago, so I have probably turned this tune into my own...
The tune sounded to me like "Sé Fáth Mo Bhuartha", not as played by Eoghan MacAogáin on Wooden Flute Obsession 1. It's from his 2nd CD, "The Clare Hills" (also the name of an air he wrote - not this tune).

Kevin Krell
Guess I will have to revisit the cd?
Arbo
m31
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by m31 »

The tune is not quite played the same all the way through but if I'm not mistaken the Abell seems a tad brighter, a bit more edge, more harmonics. Do I hear reverb processing? If there was 'presence' then all bets are off.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

m31 wrote:The tune is not quite played the same all the way through but if I'm not mistaken the Abell seems a tad brighter, a bit more edge, more harmonics. Do I hear reverb processing? If there was 'presence' then all bets are off.

Yes, there is some reverb. The same setting for both clips. Guess I could easily put the up w/o processing.
Arbo