OT: What's Your Zodiac (Sun) Sign? Theory to be tested

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jens_Hoppe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

And I particularly think that Harry's Divination teacher in the Harry Potter books is extremely hilarious...a spoof on astrology fanatics. :smile:
Yes! Great fun. :smile:

BTW, 10 July 1968 (Cancer)

Jens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2003-02-26 04:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2003-02-26 04:41 ]</font>
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2003-02-25 22:32, Jerry Freeman wrote:
However, I prefer the Vedic system, which would place the sun in Libra in my birth chart. (There's a small matter of some 23 or so degrees that the sun's path through the zodiac has shifted relative to the equinoxes since the last time the actual location of the sun was where Western astrology places it when calculating a chart. This is due to a pair of phenomena called "nutation" and "precession of equinoxes," which Western astrology ignores but Vedic or "sidereal" astrology takes into account.)

Best wishes,
Jerry

P.S. To make this a little more concrete, it's been almost 1700 years since the last time the sun was actually in the first degree of Aries on the first day of spring. The precession of equinoxes causes the sun's position on any given day of the year to shift one degree every 72 years.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freeman on 2003-02-25 22:43 ]</font>
The precession of the equinoxes argument is one frequently levelled at astrology as the reason it doesn't work. In fact, those who purport it fail to study the basis of astrology: that it's the time of year that affects the person - in other words, if you're born on (say) 13 July, you're a Cancer and you would've been 5,000 years ago too because 13/7 is at the same time of year. The confusion arose when the subject was first documented - at that time (c.4,000 years ago) 13/7 saw the sun in the sign of Cancer, it's no longer so due to precession, but 13/7 influence is unchanged.

Regarding the Christian thing, astrology was an integral part of Christianity but then got stamped on by Rome in the early mediaeval period - nowhere in the bible (both testaments) is there any statement condemning astrology (the oft-used verse from Deuteronomy about "observers of times" and "necromancy" is nothing to do with astrology.

I've been studying astrology for 30 years now, and in truth it pains me some of the crap written about it, by both so-called astrologers as well as non-astrologers. As one example: you can't tell the future with astrology (but most seem to think that that's what it's about).

See what you started Martin! It's a Leo conspiracy.....
Remember not to forget. Now, why am I here?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

If early Christians did not keep an eye up in the stars (as all the religions in that time), why did they insist on the Pisces ere and fish symbolism ?

Btw, here goes the precession "debate" again...
It's true: I read it on Internet.
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I think it's funny that people will read their daily horoscope and believe that each of twelve segments of the world's population will have a similar day based on when they were born.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

On 2003-02-26 05:49, Zubivka wrote:
If early Christians did not keep an eye up in the stars (as all the religions in that time), why did they insist on the Pisces ere and fish symbolism ?
because they were living near the sea?
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

I'll bite ^^

Libra- October 8th
Year of the Dragon

I try to stay away from the limelight depending on just what kind of limelight is being aimed.. if that makes sense. I have a terrible fear of being the center of attention for longer than two blinks, it is much worse in person than it is online, which is pretty bad as it is.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, and for all the information and open exchanges of views, very interesting! Keep it coming!

A pattern is emerging, so far skewed towards Gemini rather than Leo as being the most common sign amongst C&Fers, with 11 birthdays so far falling between 29/05 and 16/06. Dates are easier for me to plot than just a sign, but I realise not everyone will want their birthdate broadcast. Happy Belated to Jeferson and Cowtime's brother!

For the record, I'm not an astrologer or even much into astrology - I occasionally read horoscopes, and almost immediately forget what's been said. I do try to remain open minded about life (and ley lines, dowsing, religion, etc); The world is still a big scary place, and any patterns which might help us understand ourselves and our place in the Universe interest me. I guess I'm really a statistician at heart.

Maybe I should do a survey on left-handedness!

Blackhawk - Now I see why I got newt, when I was aiming for toad!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-02-26 06:01, claudine wrote:
On 2003-02-26 05:49, Zubivka wrote:
because they were living near the sea?
Claudine you got it!

Now I know here in Mesquer* Brittany we're in between two eres : of the Holy Mackerel, for the sea is near, and Aquarius--it's been raining cats and frogs this winter :razz:

* and don't forget our Euro Chiffers Get-together, 1st week-end July!
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Personally, I regard it all as a load of b****ks. For what it's worth, I was born on 2 June 1948 (don't remember what time of day, I was a bit dopey at the time and have largely remained so). So no doubt some people would draw inferences about the fact that I'm ambivalent about performing in public (or am I mixing myself up with those librarian people?).
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Aquarius - 14 February 1955.
Been performing in one field or another for 33 years now.
BTW watch out for UK types who put their dates in a xx/xx/year format. We do it the other way round so 03/05/year would be 3rd of May and not 5th of March.

Todays Aquarius forecast - This could be your lucky day but beware of accidents. (OK all Aquarians, buy that condom NOW)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

On 2003-02-26 07:02, jbarter wrote:
(...)
(OK all Aquarians, buy that condom NOW)
Could you elaborate on these various "performances" ? :roll:
Nyghtshayde

Post by Nyghtshayde »

Imagehehehe Do we want to know?Image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Missing: One short term memory retention device, If found, please ... ... ... Look! Woodwinds!
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

Well, I'm an Aquarius...Jan.31 and was born in the year of the Snake. If there was ever a to the letter Aquarius it would be me!

Love to play....but major performance anxiety which I am learning to overcome!
Gary

Post by Gary »

July 14. I think Martin is actually conducting a survey rather than checking signs. :wink:

Gary
nickt

Post by nickt »

On 2003-02-26 07:02, jbarter wrote:
Aquarius - 14 February 1955.
BTW watch out for UK types who put their dates in a xx/xx/year format. We do it the other way round so 03/05/year would be 3rd of May and not 5th of March.
Having lived in a few parts of the world and dealt with many others, I can reliably report that almost the whole world writes dates as "day/month" - it's North America who write it "back to front"! (But we all know what 9/11 means).

Mind you, for some reason the Swedes are completely back to front - they write today's date as 030226; work that one out!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nickt on 2003-02-26 09:55 ]</font>