The Baseball Cap

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Baseball Cap

Post by mutepointe »

Weedie mentioned this as classic American wear. I have never worn baseball caps because they look absolutely ridiculous on me. Then there are the textile and construction issues, the logos, the issues with matching an outfit, and the one size fits most issue. Baseball caps are sold everywhere and given away practically anywhere in the USA. How available are they in other countries? Would folks mock you for wearing an American cap? Would you stand out if you wore one? Could you wear a baseball cap even to bed as it seems so many American men do? Do you want an American cap and can't get one?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Re: The Baseball Cap

Post by I.D.10-t »

I don't understand them. I have noticed now the trend is to wear them with a shiny official sticker on the bill as if it had never been worn (bill flat). Reminds me of those that wear a overcoat with the label on the sleeve. Before that it seemed the older, dirtier, and worn the better and the bill needed to be curved to almost a cone. In my home town the John Deere cap seemed to be the popular one.

Personally, I never liked the things. I dislike the adjustment systems most have and in general prefer the less common fitted hats. Most likely I'd go with a patrol cap if I needed something, preferably with a dark under bill (never liked that button on the top of ball caps).
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

I.D.10-t wrote:the older, dirtier, and worn the better and the bill needed to be curved to almost a cone
I've got one of those somewhere!!!

I think that I took it out of the truck after I cut the ponytail off.

I wonder what's become of it...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Corgicrazed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Corgicrazed »

I have a brother who used to collect them, but I have never known anyone who sleeps in them!
Seriously, if I did that I'd be very uncomfortable. I use to have a few, but I don't know what I've done with them. The bill actually makes a very good weapon against annoying siblings. :D
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

The Second Doctor
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I wear baseball-type caps nearly all the time. I don't wear them to bed, though. I prefer sock hats for bedtime. The hat that I wore today has "Boss, President, CEO" printed on the front. On the back it has "Sales, Customer Service, Billing-Shipping". That pretty much describes my job at the Tipple flute factory.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

Doug_Tipple wrote:That pretty much describes my job at the Tipple flute factory.
I think I found a picture of your establishment. I almost didn't recognize you without the cap. :D

I'm asking you because you're an educated sort of swine. John LeCarre
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Baseball caps are easily available over here and are almost ubiquitous amongst certain sections of the population. I've never got on with them myself. I used to wear a cloth cap but now I prefer something with a wide-ish brim so wear a leather hat during the winter or when it's wet and a Panama when it's hot and sunny. I also wear a wide brimmed straw hat covered in flowers and badges but that's when I'm morris dancing. :)
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
weedie

Post by weedie »

Yep,they're just about everywhere here in OZ too,occasionally worn backwards for extra cool.
They're sometimes give-aways too,promoting this or that...
I wear them a bit in Winter,when the Sun's not too strong but not very often otherwise..
I have a bit of a laugh though when folks say they wear them for sun-protection....as if the sides of the face and back of the neck dont get burnt when the hat is worn :o ..
I have a very old cotton one.....with Motorcycle patches (Triumph,B.S.A and Ducati :thumbsup: ) sown on.This is my 'shed hat' and is worn when extra concentration is required..... It works,fair dinkum it does !
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
weedie

Post by weedie »

Fair dinkum = an Aussieism meaning something genuine..
It can also be used as an exclamation as in ... Fair Dinkum !! = Holy Cow !!
So......now you know !
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

weedie wrote:Yep,they're just about everywhere here in OZ too,occasionally worn backwards for extra stupidity.
Edited for accuracy :D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The speed-freaks in their souped-up cortinas seem to wear black Yankees Baseball caps.
Burberry Baseball caps act as a warning, like a brightly-coloured snake or frog. Avoid!
My preference was always for a forage cap over a baseball cap. No logos (although one of mine has Cuban insignia) and more room for the lychee nuts. Currently I'm wearing a tan fedora from Marks & Sparx, accessorised with feathers.
The fashion page in today's paper says "Hats are the new man-bags". There, that got you to prick up your ears, didn't it?http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... -week-hats
Yes! There's a thug in a baseball cap at number three. The black Fedora at number four is more my style. Hairnet, anyone?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Them be some hats at the fashion show. That's almost how I would look in a baseball cap.

It's the logo thing that I have an issue with baseball caps. I don't care enough about any product/team/clever saying to wear it on my head.

Australian is so behind the times, wearing a baseball cap backwards is not THE cool way to wear a hat these days, wearing a cap sideways is the way to go. I don't know if there is any meaning to which side but there seems to be a direct correlations between how sideways a cap is and how far down your @#$% your wear your pants.
Last edited by mutepointe on Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dwest

Post by dwest »

I wear baseball caps and a Akubra Bushman with center crease in Nullabor tan with a braided kangaroo hat band that use to be my belt twenty years ago. My base ball caps have little dots of velcro loop all around the lower edge to which I attach a polyester fabric cape with velcro hooks to protect my ears and neck from the sun. Having cancer twice ain't so much fun what with my beautiful delicate glowing milky white skin.

My favorite baseball cap looks like a John Deere hat except it has a patch made by my wife with the silhouette of a goose in flight on it and underneath it says John Goose. I transfer the patch to a new hat whenever the old hat wears out. If my dermatologist ever caught me without a hat I'd never hear the end of it. I also wear a cap under my bicycle helmet and if I am going to be exposed to full sun all day I wear long sleeve shirts and pants.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

mutepointe wrote:
It's the logo thing that I have an issue with baseball caps. I don't care enough about any product/team/clever saying to wear it on my head.
me too. Like in William Gibson's "Pattern Recognition". Same with tee shirts. An exception is made for certain brands of beer, of which I approve.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You have your bona fide baseball caps both modern and retro, your feedcaps (also called "meshbacks"), your stretchy cycler's caps, your baseball-inspired gangsta caps, your weird caps with extra-long visors and/or a suncloth down the back, and your whoknowswhatelseisoutthere. Because they all have visors I use "billcaps" as a catch-all term, and I know I'm not the only one to do so because I got it from someone else, but I used the term a little while ago and got a blank stare. I thought the term was self-explanatory. Oh, well.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician