A good, smoky tea: Yum!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Pfreddee
antispam: No

A good, smoky tea: Yum!

Post by Pfreddee »

How many of you tea drinkers are Lapsang Souchong fans? I was introduced to it by a good friend 25+ years ago, and it has been a favorite of mine ever since. Recently, I began drinking it in the summer (it seemed like a winter tea, to me) and I have had to up the frequency of my orders. Also, I've read that it goes well with milk and sugar. I haven't tried that combination yet, but, ya never know.

I also enjoy a cup of Darjeeling right before bed. And into the cup goes a dollop of jam, which sinks to the bottom, and isn't stirred (or shaken, either! :lol: ) It waits for me as I drink the tea, and makes a most pleasant end to the cup. My favorites for this treat are, in no particular order: orange marmalade, strawberry jam, blackberry jam (although it's very risky for me to use it, as my wife has sort of made it her private preserve, pun intended,) and Frog jam. This last is a local product from an orchard in Nelson County, Virginia. It is allegedly made from the finest Nelson County frogs, which run in the spring, and the orchard owner transmutes them into jam. Lest anyone be offended, the name is a acronym for Figs, Raspberries, Orange and Ginger. But the fig seeds do look like little teeny frog eyes! Eeeeww! :shock:

Just thought I'd share.

With best regards to all.

Stephen
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A good, smoky tea: Yum!

Post by MTGuru »

Pfreddee wrote:But the fig seeds do look like little teeny frog eyes! Eeeeww!
Hey! And what's wrong with that?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I love Lapsang souchong, but haven't drunk it in some time. I also remember it being a good summer brew. I sort-of accidentally gave up caffeine a couple of years ago. And Lapsang has a ton of caffeine.

When I was in college, one of the teas available was Early Riser, of which Lapsang souchong was the primary component. A friend of mine, when he was hung over, would get a cup of coffee and put a bag of Early Riser in it. Possibly the grossest beverage I could imagine this side of ouzo.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I love darjeeling, but not at night. Must let the caffeine have time to wear off. I cannot imagine the dollop of jam being an enhancement for me though! The idea reminds me of an icky thing I had once called a bubble drink, where the blobs of tapioca were not welcome surprises when they made it through the straw. But I do like about half a teaspoon of sugar.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Pfreddee wrote: This last is a local product from an orchard in Nelson County, Virginia. It is allegedly made from the finest Nelson County frogs, which run in the spring, and the orchard owner transmutes them into jam. Lest anyone be offended, the name is a acronym for Figs, Raspberries, Orange and Ginger. But the fig seeds do look like little teeny frog eyes! Eeeeww! :shock:

Stephen
We call such jam "Ambystoma pudding" 'cause it looks like mole salamander egg masses.
Whistlin' Will

Post by Whistlin' Will »

MTGuru wrote:
Pfreddee wrote:But the fig seeds do look like little teeny frog eyes! Eeeeww!
Hey! And what's wrong with that?
As long as they don't change color, we're okay. :)
-Will
Out in the sticks
With the hicks
And the ticks

My avatar is a photo of one of my T-shirts.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

My tea of choice is ginger tea, sweetened with local wildflower honey...yum!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I like Lapsang Suchong. I like most China Tea. Recently, though I got a quarter pound of repulsively strong Lapsang Suchong. I thought it was from a reputable company, but it tasted like a garden bonfire. That packet went in the bin. Does anyone else call it "Smoky Bacon Tea"?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm a confirmed coffee drinker and few teas really satisfy me. Lapsang Suchong is one of them. Also, a nice earthy Pu Erh.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Okay, now I'm going to have to look for the stuff. Sounds like it would make a good base for a toasted rice/tea soup. Hope I have better luck finding some than I did searching for a brick of tea.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Pfreddee

Post by Pfreddee »

I.D. 10-t:

Look at Upton Tea's offerings. Just Google Upton Tea.

With best regards, Stephen
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Hopefully I won't have to mail order it. We were headed to the Asian market to pick up some stuff anyway, and it has a fairly well stocked tea section.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

I've loved Lapsang Souchong for as long as I can remember. Someone did once prepare it for me, in their ignorance :wink: , with milk and sugar. I wouldn't recommend it. It's perfect just the way it is.
technowhistle
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Lapsang Souchong is good. I drink it about once a week.

Though I drink Assam several times a day.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

You made me go and drink some this hot, lazy Sunday afternoon.

:D