Unique Fipples?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brokish
antispam: No

Unique Fipples?

Post by brokish »

Hi all,

Can anyone name whistles (especially low whistles) with unique fipple shapes? I’ve noticed two major variations, which can be seen in a Burke vs Goldie comparison:
1) Burke fipples are curved while Goldie fipples are straight across.
2) Burke fipples are blunt while Goldie fipples are sharp.

The wind-way/fipple design is quite unlike the embrasure/hole design of Irish flutes. I don’t mean to imply that low whistles ought to sound like Irish flutes—it just seems to me there must be plenty of room for experimentation when it comes to wind-way and fipple designs. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Best,
Kevin
Daniel_Bingamon

Re: Unique Fipples?

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

What are your definitions of blunt and sharp? I've seen a great variety of such a description.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

brokish wrote:the embrasure/hole design of Irish flutes.
The way to remember embouchure is that it's from French "bouche", meaning mouth. As in "fermez la bouche". Which does not mean "shut your bush". :o :lol:

[I guess embrasure could be what you do with your arms!]

I think a binary division is too simple. And it's actually not that different from the issues of flute hole design and the flute player's embouchure. Every aspect of the fipple geometry can be varied: curvature, length/width of blade, sharpness of blade, bump on blade, length/angle of blade bevel, length/width/size of window, window "ears", shape and position of plug, width/height/bevel of windway exit ... etc. These all turn up as separate variables on different whistles.

And there's a rough equivalent of each of these in flute embouchure, except that the dividing line between what's fixed by the instrument and formed by the lips is in a different place, of course.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brokish

Post by brokish »

Thanks!
I typed something into google and thought the result might be like the word February, but I didn't look at the context...
Great list of variables, especially "ears" and the bump on the blade (like a Generation?). I'm really interested to see if anyone has seen any whistles that are drastically different from other whistles. For example, an inverted blade where most of the air flows into the whistle instead of over it... something to that effect--something really unique...
Cheers,
Kevin
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

The Alba Q1 has a flat blunt blade with no ramp at all. It is a very good and somewhat quiet whistle.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The classic Clarke has a D-shaped windway, and the blade is made from the body tube (very thin metal) just being kind of dented.

The Shaw has a rectangular windway with the blade again made from the tube of the whistle, but the blade is straight across.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Don't forget the exo-fipple. Search the forums for this, or see http://rjaysplace.com/exofipple/index.html ... I must get around to trying one of these myself :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

I sometimes makes a flat windway floor that is chamfered on the sides, starting about 1/8" in from the mouthpiece, with each chamfer widening as it approaches the exit. The effect is a traditional sound that deals with moisture much like a curved windway does, while maintaining a flat ramp. Curved windways tend to sound a bit more "pure" in my experience. Getting proper alignment, etc. is a lot more tricky and time consuming, than building the whistle head along more conventional designs - and honestly, it isn't always worth the effort, but sometimes it is. There are also many variations on ramp and blade designs that I've seen. The "V" shape of the laughing whistle, for example... or cutting notches in the blade... or cutting the ramp so it curves upward, or cutting the blade so it is arched... Some of us also taper the windway sides on some whistles, to focus the airstream more for a particular voicing or air requirement.
Playing, not paying.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

If you are looking for diversity in voicing design, you can't find a better site for diagrams than this...
http://www.organstops.org/_apps/Illustrations.html
Not all the voicing designs are "practical" for a Tinwhistle Maker", but parts are still worthy of study.

It may seem strange to a Whistlesmith to study "organ pipes", but these voicings have been developed and tested for more than 5 centuries now. The Fabled Nero of Rome played an Organ at the Colosseum at the beginning of the Christian Era. http://users.ipa.net/~tanker/organs.htm The Author/Drafter of most of the diagrams above is George Ashdown Audsley. The most helpful book of his is "The Art of Organ Building, Vol-2" because this is where he focuses on the pipes and voicings themselves. This is a LARGE database website with months of research material, including voicing designs and how they function. Here is the main site...
http://www.organstops.org/MainFrameN.html

The "Air-Reed" voicing is an incredible animal with the ability to mimic most of the other woodwinds in the orchestra. The voices it can produce are Legion!
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com