Definition of "band flutes"?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Definition of "band flutes"?

Post by keithsandra »

Can you tell me what "band flutes" are? I've seen references to them on CnF but a Search doesn't come up with a definition, and says : "band flute. ignored: flute"

Thanks in advance.

K.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Definition of "band flutes"?

Post by MTGuru »

Try a Google site search, Keith: "band flute" site:forums.chiffandfipple.com
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

This might be a good starting point.
Fife Vs Band flute

I think Hawks & Son made Crown AZ band flutes in F piccolo, Eb piccolo, Bb, F, Bass Bb, and Bass Eb, but most commonly found will be the Eb piccolo, the Bb, and F flutes.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I always thought you folks were talking about boehm flutes when you spoke of band flutes. The thing you learn here. Are you speaking of boehm flutes when you speak of silver flutes?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

mutepointe wrote:Are you speaking of boehm flutes when you speak of silver flutes?
That seems to be the case.
~~~~~~
Write up on some Bb Bass flutes on Terry McGee's site.
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Later%20Bb%20flutes.htm

Note the difference between the R&R flute and the band flute.

Also some measurements of band flutes down this page.
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/flutelengths.htm

~~~~~
Disclaimer, I'm no expert.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

mutepointe wrote:I always thought you folks were talking about boehm flutes when you spoke of band flutes. The thing you learn here. Are you speaking of boehm flutes when you speak of silver flutes?
Ah, yes, in Merkin there is a tendency to describe what in English we would call "an orchestral flute" (meaning a modern Bohm flute, most often metal, though can be wood) as a "band flute", isn't there? Ditto other mainstream modern classical instruments. "Silver flute" is less ambiguous, though still misleading: of course Bohm flutes have always also been made in wood and in other metals, and other systems than Bohm's have been made in silver/metal. That is why I almost always specify Bohm's name when I mean that kind of flute, or use a longer but clearer description such as "modern metal orchestral flute".

Keith, there are loads of old posts on C&F about band flutes in the proper, simple system sense - I've been involved in quite a few threads on the topic over the years. I tried the same search as you, and yes, it ignores "flute" but actually most of the hits are relevant. If you put my screen-name in the relevant search parameter bar, that narrows things down a bit.

These links may also help:
http://fifeanddrummuseum.org/default.aspx
http://www.angusfifes.com/
http://www.millerwicks.com/ (especially see History page)
http://www.millyard-molem.com/
http://www.dillonmusic.com/historic_fif ... fifes.html
http://www.skiphealy.com/
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Denny

Post by Denny »

what MTGuru said
Google.... "band flute" site:forums.chiffandfipple.com

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22band+ ... fipple.com
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

jemtheflute wrote:Ah, yes, in Merkin there is a tendency to describe what in English we would call "an orchestral flute" (meaning a modern Bohm flute, most often metal, though can be wood) as a "band flute", isn't there?
Don't know if this is true of all in the US. From my limited experiences out east schools tend to have a primary school emphasis on orchestra while the Midwest tends to be more of a "band" orientated environment. Either way it's the same shiny flute.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

Jem, you're slacking. Your "ö"s are missing the umlauts.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Personally, I think the cheap Pakistani ripoffs should be banned... :lol:

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

I.D.10-t wrote:
jemtheflute wrote:Ah, yes, in Merkin there is a tendency to describe what in English we would call "an orchestral flute" (meaning a modern Bohm flute, most often metal, though can be wood) as a "band flute", isn't there?
Don't know if this is true of all in the US. From my limited experiences out east schools tend to have a primary school emphasis on orchestra while the Midwest tends to be more of a "band" orientated environment. Either way it's the same shiny flute.
Or if you were cool you were in the Stage Band and played Sammy Nestico arrangements. 8)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Possibly. I've actually heard the Boehm iteration called "traditional" (!) or even "real" (!!) when confronted with wooden simple-system, but not any particular tendency toward "band" as I recall so far: mostly just "flute" does it until the specter of there actually being others raises its head. Then I steer them toward using "modern" as a convenient descriptor.

On a sidenote: I've gotten to the point where I say, "Whenever you see someone holding up a wind instrument like this [mimicking the transverse hold], it's not a clarinet, it's a flute. Doesn't matter what it's made of. It's a flute of some kind. A flute. Period. Count on it." Of course that's misleading, too, but at such a juncture the likelihood of the beneficiary of my lesson going so far as to learn about the Bawu is a matter of odds I feel confident to dismiss.
jemtheflute wrote:"Silver flute" is less ambiguous, though still misleading: of course Bohm flutes have always also been made in wood and in other metals, and other systems than Bohm's have been made in silver/metal. That is why I almost always specify Bohm's name when I mean that kind of flute, or use a longer but clearer description such as "modern metal orchestral flute".
I pick my battles on that front. Sometimes if they hear anything more than "silver flute", their eyes start glazing over because anything else is beyond their comfort zone and more than they want/need to know, and they wander off looking for less of a crackpot to talk to. Well, to be honest, sometimes waxing pedantic's actually an intentional tactic on my part, too: when you want to move someone smartly along, flute details can make for some top-notch repellent when you need that sort of thing. :twisted:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I've noticed that the radio commentator on a classical music station that I listen to often refers to a classical musical group as a "band", when, clearly, what I thought I was listening to was an "orchestra". I think that he is deliberately doing that to be cute, knowing that with his expertise he can get away with it, although I'm sure that he receives many letters correcting him on the matter. No doubt, there must be a good reason for his use of band rather than orchestra, chamber group, etc.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I've noticed that the radio commentator on a classical music station that I listen to often refers to a classical musical group as a "band", when, clearly, what I thought I was listening to was an "orchestra". I think that he is deliberately doing that to be cute, knowing that with his expertise he can get away with it, although I'm sure that he receives many letters correcting him on the matter. No doubt, there must be a good reason for his use of band rather than orchestra, chamber group, etc.
Could be in a similar vein as when classical violinists informally refer to themselves as fiddlers, maybe? Orchestra/band, tomayto/tomahto, like.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Kirk B wrote:Jem, you're slacking. Your "ö"s are missing the umlauts.
Aye - but I fear I always do.... the work-arounds to get the umlaut in there are too awkward and I am too lazy. But I persist with spelling it without the "e", not because I'm unaware that the man himself spelt it both ways, but as an act of resistance against that other weird and utterly inexplicable, chokingly objectionable Merkin tendency, to pronounce it "Bame". Urk! But that's another old hobby horse and recurring topic.

Back to the "band flute" meaning "Böhm flute" thing - many cheap modern metal flutes are advertised on eBay (US) and other American websites as "band flutes". It may not be prevalent everywhere/in all contexts in the US, but it certainly is out there. Hence, no doubt, Mutepoint's discombobulation......

And Doug (we're cross-posting) - actually, it isn't uncommon in orchestral circles over here to refer to the orchestra as "the band" in an informal, jocular way - but with it clearly understood there is no comparison/implication/reference being made to a brass band, pop/rock/jazz band or any other usage formally denoting a specific musical grouping (type).

Yes, Nano.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads