Senior Discount Not!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
heyjude
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Senior Discount Not!

Post by heyjude »

I don't want a senior discount, I just want to go to the front of the line. Us old fahts don't have that much time left. I want my Oz yesterday, if I wanted it next year I'd have ordered it next year. Yeah I know, if I wanted it now I should have ordered it last year. Early last year. Maybe I should get a Burke Narrow D to hold me in check until it gets here. I think I've got five D's now. Every time I count I come up with a different number. The CPVC's I made using GG's instructions don't count do they? If they do I've got eight D's. No wait a minute Ty Heads got one of mine and when it gets back to me I'll have nine. But I want that Burke Narrow D real bad. And another but. But I also need a really nice Bb. How much do Burke Bb's weigh, aluminum and brass? This is important because I don't have a lot of strength in my arms. How weak are they? Well I've got to drink half a beer with a straw before I can pick the bottle up. Well I've got to go, promished the missus I'd tune the Henway this afternoon.

Take care,
Jude
"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear
Guyon

Re: Senior Discount Not!

Post by Guyon »

Can I have your senior discount?
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I have a nice aluminum Bb in aluminum. It is rather light. I don't have anyway of weighing it. I prefer the aluminum. I tried both the brass and the aluminum.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

OK, I'll play straight man for you.

What's a Henway?

Best wishes,
Jerry
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

The Burke Bb in aluminum, like all Burke aluminum whistles, is so light it's not even worth discussing. But when you say "a really nice" anything, the door is open for lots of questions and opinions. For example, I own most of the name brand Bb's out there. They're all different and they're all nice.

The Burke is nice, I happen to prefer the brass, but that's me. However the Jerry Freeman tweaked Generation Bb in nickel or brass is as good a Bb as you will hear or play, if you like that type of sound. And the Sindt Bb I have is maybe the single finest whistle, in any key, I've ever heard, played or owned. Not pure like the Burke and not pure drop like the Gen but close. Almost no chiff. It's the one I'd grab if the house were on fire. But if the Freeman were close by, I'd reach for it too. Of course, there will be a wait for the Sindt which you're trying to avoid. Jerry will send you one almost immediately. The Sindt is kind of hefty but the Gen is light as a feather.

You can get a really nice and beautiful Bb from Ian Turnbull at Impempe, light in weight, and will remind you of the Burke, particularly the polished version, but quieter and less expensive. Ian makes them to order but his turnaround is really quick, only a few days at most. And don't forget Carey Parks new black PVC (I think it's PVC) Bb. It is big bore so it's easy to hold, loud, similar in many ways to the Water Weasel tone and volume, a little heavier than the Gen but lighter than my Sindt or brass Burke.

Finally, there are folks like Chuck Tilbury who makes a fine Bb when he's making whistles. Nice and light aluminum, good tuning and volume. And don't forget about Colin Goldie. The wait time is minimal but what a whistle! If you like that sound, and he can customize that along with playing characteristics somewhat as well. On the lighter side for sure.

I could go on but you get the picture. And others may feel differently or disagree with my assessment. Good luck.

Michael
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Jerry Freeman wrote:OK, I'll play straight man for you.

What's a Henway?

Best wishes,
Jerry

About 2 or 3 pounds. A hen for roasting could be about 5 pounds.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

heyjude wrote:I want my Oz yesterday, if I wanted it next year I'd have ordered it next year.
You rush a whistle man, you get rotten whistles. :lol:
But I promise you're going to love that whistle when it arrives. It's a whole other animal, afaic.

In the meantime, if you're looking for a Bb, yeah, the Burke is wonderful and light as a feather. But to echo the ecohawk, the Tilbury aluminum Bb, while only slightly weightier, is a mighty fine whistle ...one of my favorites actually... and at a fraction of the cost of the Burke if that matters. I know his webpage says he's not taking orders from the public, but he's a C&F guy and seems to make new batches of whistles that he offers here on a fairly regular basis. Who knows... he may even have a Bb or a Bb/C set laying around from his last batch. His member name here is "spalpeen" ....good luck.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
heyjude

Post by heyjude »

Thanks for all of the good info. I just ordered a Burke Brass Bb. I got a Burke Aluminum C a couple of weeks ago and really like it. If I had to do it over I'd probably go with a brass C and aluminum Bb.
I did have some fun today while wandering about Michael Burkes complex web site. I found a page with the Bb for $150 and emailed him asking what the difference was between the it and the $200 whistle. It shouldn't have been there and has probably been removed by now. He found it hard to believe that it could happen as $150 is a 2003 price.
Well got to sell a shakuhachi and pay for a Narrow D in brass.
Take care,
Jude
maki

Post by maki »

Tommy wrote:
Jerry Freeman wrote:OK, I'll play straight man for you.

What's a Henway?

Best wishes,
Jerry

About 2 or 3 pounds. A hen for roasting could be about 5 pounds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:thumbsup:
MoonMind

Post by MoonMind »

ecohawk wrote:And don't forget Carey Parks new black PVC (I think it's PVC) Bb. It is big bore so it's easy to hold, loud, similar in many ways to the Water Weasel tone and volume, a little heavier than the Gen but lighter than my Sindt or brass Burke.
How did you come by that one? I can't seem to find it on Carey Park's site - or are we talking testing here? I'd love to get one of those if they were already available. Best to ask Carey himself, I guess... All I could find was a note on his blog that there will be alto whistles - let there be them, then 8)

M.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ecohawk wrote:And don't forget Carey Parks new black PVC (I think it's PVC) Bb. It is big bore so it's easy to hold, loud, similar in many ways to the Water Weasel tone and volume, a little heavier than the Gen but lighter than my Sindt or brass Burke.
MoonMind wrote:How did you come by that one? I can't seem to find it on Carey Park's site - or are we talking testing here? I'd love to get one of those if they were already available. Best to ask Carey himself, I guess... All I could find was a note on his blog that there will be alto whistles
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81912&hilit=parks
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MoonMind

Post by MoonMind »

Thanks - don't know how I missed that :)

M.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

That's the problem with folks from Ohio, they're always in a rush until they drive in West Virginia, then they think the passing lane is the slow all traffic down lane.

Tuesday is Senior Citizen Discount Day, that's counterclockwise with Oz whistles.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
heyjude

Post by heyjude »

mutepointe wrote:That's the problem with folks from Ohio, they're always in a rush until they drive in West Virginia, then they think the passing lane is the slow all traffic down lane.

Tuesday is Senior Citizen Discount Day, that's counterclockwise with Oz whistles.

And the problem with folks from West Virginia is that they ignore all traffic signs, at least on I-64, especially the speed limit.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The only problem with folks from West Virginia is that we're too good looking.

Mountaineers are always free.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦