Loud whistle for Morris?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Anyanka
antispam: No

Re: Loud whistle for Morris?

Post by Anyanka »

jemtheflute wrote: The real answer is, of course, a piccolo.... ;-)
Ooooh.... that would be so cool. There's something sexier about playing transverse, not sure why. Is a piccolo substantially louder? How easy is it to make a decent one?
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Anyanka wrote:
Ooooh.... that would be so cool. There's something sexier about playing transverse, not sure why. Is a piccolo substantially louder? How easy is it to make a decent one?
Apparently it's very very difficult. Takes years, ya know. Just to make one. :wink:
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Clive Brown wrote:Anyanka,

I have a Syn D which I dont get on with. No reflection on the whistle, rather a reflection on me. I can confirm it is a very loud whistle and wonderfully made. I live close to the Hants / Surrey border, you are welcome to try it out if you are not far away ?

Clive
Clive, thanks, that would be fantastic. Are you actually looking to sell it? I'm on the other side of Surrey (Reigate), but perhaps we can figure something out.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Anyanka wrote:
A decent piccolo is way louder than just about any whistle I've ever come across. I've been playing fife for Morris for 30+ years now and wouldn't consider trying to do the same on a whistle. You have a substantial volume gain playing in the same octave as you would have on the equivalent range of a whistle, and once you get to grips with the third octave fingerings you'll be more than holding your own against just about as many melodeons as you want to take on!

I'm currently playing a metal Angus D fife, and previously played various Sweet wooden fife/piccolos. Another advantage of a simple-system one is that you won't even have to learn more than a couple of different fingerings compared to whistle.

Can't say how easy they are to make (I suspect they're harder to get right than whistles) - but Tony Dixon makes a plastic piccolo for about 30 quid, and whilst they're not on a par with an Angus or a Sweet they're plenty good enough to learn on and realise what you've been missing, and then you can start looking at the more expensive instruments.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

sfmans wrote: Tony Dixon makes a plastic piccolo for about 30 quid
That was just OTTOMH - I've just checked and they're actually under 20 quid (the DX015 at http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/catalog ... nshop.html ). Like I say you'll soon want something better, but you won't ever spend a better twenty quid if you do want to try playing piccolo for Morris.

Go on, you know you want to ...
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

jemtheflute wrote:I think our newest mod is cracking under the strain. (Head's gone, naturally.) He needs to be rudally apprehended, carted off and enjoined to keep better company.
Just stop it right now, go make piccolos until the urge passes.... 8)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

jemtheflute wrote:I think our newest mod is cracking under the strain. (Head's gone, naturally.) He needs to be rudally apprehended, carted off and enjoined to keep better company.
Now, how did I miss that one? How puny.

Anyway, take Steve's advice, young man! :)

... sorry ... "punny" ...
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

benhall.1 wrote:
Now, how did I miss that one? How puny.

Anyway, take Steve's advice, young man! :)

... sorry ... "punny" ...
See what I mean? Barrel of laughs, you are..... and the body of members has to foot the metaphorical bill (jointly, of course)......

Seriously, Anyanka, sfmans is on the right track. I wouldn't recommend anything by Dixon (that I've ever played), nor by Sweet. I've no experience of the Angus fifes, but have heard good things about them and they look the part and their website is convincing, FWTW.

And there is another option (pm sent).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

jemtheflute wrote: He needs to be rudally apprehended, carted off
if only you had worked "rose" in there somehow...
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

pancelticpiper wrote:
jemtheflute wrote: He needs to be rudally apprehended, carted off
if only you had worked "rose" in there somehow...
Please don't feed the animals !

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Right, piccolo/fife it shall be. I'll start with one of the inexpensive kind, but for future ambitions, could I have a website link for Angus? Googling 'Angus fife' gets me all sorts of stuff, none whistle-related.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

@ Steve: Miaou!
Anyway, they're lapping it up.
@ PanCP: Rose wasn't contextually relevant, but I did get in the full 'Rudall Carte and Co.'
@ Anyanka: Angus Fifes website is on The Makers List (sticky thread on the Flute Forum) and they've had stuff on eBay recently. Also use the search tool for old threads about them.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Thanks, all! Jem, have PMed you.
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ducks »

can I just add that dixon fifes and piccolos are quite nasty?
sophie