PVC Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bfloyd6969
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

PVC Whistles

Post by bfloyd6969 »

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on board, but just now getting back into whistle playing - been giving the guitar more focus, but it's time to get serious again with whistle playing. What are some of the good PVC or the like whistles out there these days? Thanks.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: PVC Whistles

Post by brewerpaul »

Why not make your own?

http://www.ggwhistles.com/howto/
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
bfloyd6969

Post by bfloyd6969 »

Thanks for the link. However, I'm not one with the patience to do such a thing :) I'd much rather buy, and appreciate, the work of others!!

So far I have found Parks Whistles, Susato, and Tony Dixon... are there any others?
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

PVC whistles, I don't have any yet, so I can't comment on them;

Jubilee, by Mr. Daniel Bingamon, Chiff and Fipple member
http://www.tinwhistles.us/jubilee/

Wicked Good Whistles, out of Maine
http://www.whistlesmith.com/

Gonzato(already mentioned) makes and sells whistles, as well as giving DIY instructions.
http://www.ggwhistles.com/models.html

Parks Every Whistle look like winners too.
http://www.parkswhistles.com/

I know I missed some, sorry.
Last edited by maki on Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Parks are the best PVC whistles I've played...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

bfloyd6969 wrote:So far I have found Parks Whistles, Susato, and Tony Dixon... are there any others?
Susatos are ABS, at least the Kildares.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
maki

Post by maki »

MTGuru wrote:
bfloyd6969 wrote:So far I have found Parks Whistles, Susato, and Tony Dixon... are there any others?
Susatos are ABS, at least the Kildares.
I've a related question.
Of the plastics used for whistles which are the most durable, ABS, PVC, CPVC, Derlin, or others?
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Sweetheart, Busman, O'brien, O'dwyer, Milligan. All great Delrin whistles. Delrin must be the toughest. Carey Parks makes great whistles, very similar to Water Weasels IMO (not a surprise there) and CPCV is really tough too.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

maki wrote:Of the plastics used for whistles which are the most durable, ABS, PVC, CPVC, Derlin, or others?
They can all be quite durable if you look after them and don't use them as tent pegs. It depends somewhat on the design and to what conditions you are going to subject the instrument.

Delrin and acetal are probably the most durable in terms of heat and chemical exposure. These polymers are commonly used as bearings and such in industrial applications. I like the way it machines too. I have not found a better polymer myself

Polycarbonates (parts of Sweet's whistles) are used in barriers, windows and shields for ballistics purposes but it can get stress fractures from heat and other exposure. But it holds together well.

ABS as in the Susato Kildare are quite durable just protect the edge of the labium. Some older Susatos were made from ABS with CPVC tubes (I still have one) and they seem to last just as long.

Dixon polymer whistles seem to be more sensitive to heat than most others I have owned. It's not good to leave them in a warm car during the summer heat. They can warp and go bananas. The banana bend is easily cured with a bath in warm water and a quick roll on a flat surface. But it's still not the best thing to put the whistle through.

CPVC is used in plumbing and can withstand household hot water temperatures just fine and it lasts a long time. Praise to the Water Weasel Eb, D, C, G and F whistles! So unless parts are machined to be rather thin they will be durable. I've put my own homemade CPVC whistles through the dishwasher and they hold up although the thinner parts of the tuning slide and blade can distort a little which might be more from the caustic detergents used in dishwashing than the heat alone. I've also

PVC is more brittle than CPVC (IME) and it is a bit more sensitive to heat than the CPVC. Again commonly used in plumbing applications, mostly as drain pipes. I've created some unlique sculptures with it on the lathe that were supposed to actually be whistles, gotta watch the turning speed and feed rate. It still can make a good and durable whistle. Again, praise to the Water Weasel Bb and low A whistles.

I've also used acylics and didn't find them particularly durable. It fractures too quickly for my tastes.

I've molded whistle parts from polyester resins and it works. It can also fracture under stress.

I've tried nylon to make whistles as well. It can be very durable. I just don't favor machining it myself. It probably would be good for a molded whistle though.

These are just my experiences and are based on the types of plastics I have experience with. There can be many formulations of each type so others may have different experience to mine.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ducks

Post by ducks »

I've got a Shearwater pvc low d whistle (is there a canofworms alert button?) which sounds, I think, not at all dissimilar to the Alba I have recently acquired. I like it.
sophie
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I don't think anyone has mentioned Goldfinch (from Poland) - Not at all bad high whistles, though I think the Parks Everywhistle is better.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by RonKiley »

I have a water weasel that is very good. You can't buy a new one but from time to time they show up for sale used. I got mine for a ridiculously low price. I like the Every Whistle also. I have no experience with the others.
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
maki

Post by maki »

@Feadoggie - Dude, I was hoping for a comprehensive reply about plastics used for whistles. :lol:
Thanks!
bfloyd6969

Post by bfloyd6969 »

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone. I'll begin looking them all up... :)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

From an old note to me from Mike K. at Susato:
Michael Kelishek wrote:Kildares are injection molded out of ABS Plastic so they have to have this 1 degree taper so they will come out of the injection mold. The S & L Dublin Series bodies are made of CPVC so they are absolutely cylindrical. Mouthpieces are all ABS Injection Molded Plastic. Hope this helps clear up any confusion.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.