What is "lipping up"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Larry Marshall
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

What is "lipping up"?

Post by Larry Marshall »

Several experience players have made references to 'lipping up' a particular note. Is that something that can be explained to a n00b?

Cheers --- Larry
Denny

Re: What is "lipping up"?

Post by Denny »

drive the whistle sharper

some whistler will get to ya on that, I understand the flute version, but...
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

As Denny was alluding, it's possible on any flute to sharpen or flatten a note by changing the shape of your lips. It's possible with some whistles, not with others. Try blowing harder or softer, changing the angle of the whistle in your mouth, changing the shape of your mouth, etc., and see if you can bend notes on your whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Gawd, I'm probably opening another can of worms here since I'm not nearly as accomplished as most of you. I didn't know it was called "lipping up". But I've discovered an old trick used on harmonica. If you form your lips, cheeks and tongue as if to say, without actually using your voice, "wow" while starting a note, particularly if you slide into it, many whistles will sound as if the notes are bending. Seriously. I can assure you that my brass Chieftains, Mellow Dog and Goldie A handle it well, as well as my Bb Sindt and my Jerry Gen Bb. It doesn't seem to work as well on my Burke's with the exception of the DBN to a lesser extent. May have something to do with back pressure, except that wouldn't apply to the Mellow Dog. Hell I don't know why. But it works. Mostly. :lol:

Try it sometime.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
KittyR

Post by KittyR »

ecohawk wrote:Try it sometime.
Not working for me.

But I couldn't do it when I tried out harmonica either. :lol:
Nobody here but us lurkers.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

It's a flute term that, frankly, I don't think I've ever heard applied to whistle before, except maybe by very loose analogy. Are you sure you're not confusing flute / whistle context?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

"Lipping up" is I think more of a brassplayer's term, which when applied to the flute is a bit of a misnomer, as you change pitch with the jaw, not the lips themselves.

Check out classical flute pedagogy and you'll read about it. Pulling the jaw back flattens the flute's pitch, pushing the jaw forward sharpens it, by changing the angle of the flute's embouchure hole vis-a-vis the lips. "Horsey face" I've heard classical flute teachers call it.

The lips change to alter the speed of the airstream and how focused it is, which you do when changing octaves, and adjusting the volume.

Anyhow on the whistle there's a fixed tone production mechanism and it varies from whistle to whistle how much you can alter pitch with the strength of the airstream.

I was comparing my Burke Low Eb to my Bernard Overton Low Eb and that was one of the major differences. The Burke was a bit on the "go/no go" side of things especially in the second octave, while the Overton had a huge range of pitch/volume variation there. It's possible on that Overton to blow the second octave rather softly and keep increasing until it's very loud, the pitch varying with the volume.

On my MK there is also a great amount of leeway in blowing both octaves.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ha! Yes, I've used "Bending down" the notes, as they cry it for harmonica. I mentioned it a while back in another thread, and got a resounding silence. Since I don't play flute (overtone flutes tend to have mouthpieces like whistles) yes, I'm pretty sure you can do it on a whistle. Leastways, on my own polypropylene whistles, you can.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, the trad forums do tend to be a bit straight for bending, don't they
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
ducks

Post by ducks »

sophie
Larry Marshall

Post by Larry Marshall »

MTGuru wrote:It's a flute term that, frankly, I don't think I've ever heard applied to whistle before, except maybe by very loose analogy. Are you sure you're not confusing flute / whistle context?
Look here...first post. Claim is that a flat note was 'lipped up':

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81816

It's easy for me to claim confusing. It's my best thing. But in this case I've just heard people talk about it but never explain what, exactly, is done with the lips to do this. I'm so new to this that when the note is sour I blow harder whether it needs it or not :-)

Cheers --- Larry
cboody

Post by cboody »

I think the term really comes from brass and reed players where you actually to lip things up or down. Then it seems to have become a general term for adjusting pitch. I've heard fiddle players talk about lipping up a note. :lol:
Ronbo

Post by Ronbo »

I know that you can change the note on a flute by changing your embouchure or blowing at a slightly different angle to bring a note in-line. That can be lipping up.

I dont believe that you can "lip up" a whistle. To do that, you would have to have a helluva pair of lips, capable of engulfing the whole the thing down to the end of the fipple :shock: .

Whoops, just reminded myself of something. I remember seeing a video of some people who had cultivated the ability to play a whistle with the whole fipple in their mouths, except for a tiny bit of the opening showing. It enabled them to bend notes and play a jazzy kind of tunes on them. Sounds were nice, but the picture wasn't real pretty. believe it. :D :D
KittyR

Post by KittyR »

cboody wrote:it seems to have become a general term for adjusting pitch.
Exactly.
Nobody here but us lurkers.
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

cboody wrote:I think the term really comes from brass and reed players where you actually to lip things up or down. Then it seems to have become a general term for adjusting pitch. I've heard fiddle players talk about lipping up a note. :lol:
I must admit, this one's been going through my head a bit ... I don't get it. I think I may even have used the phrase myself about playing certain notes on certain whistles into tune, even though it must come from other wind instruments where the lips themselves can actually have an influence, such as a flute, oboe, clarinet, brass instruments etc. But I can't get it to apply to a fiddle at all. The essential element of the concept, for me, is the idea that there is a note that will sound if you 'do nothing' (ie don't try and do anything special when playing that note) and that you then have to do something different to get the note to be in tune. But that concept doesn't apply to a fiddle. The open strings should be in tune (so no "lipping up" possible, or necessary, there, unless they've gone out of tune) and you have complete freedom where to put your fingers for the fingered notes - you just have to put them where a note will be in tune. No adjustment necessary.

By which, before anyone says, I'm also saying that I don't think the term "lipping up" applies to effects such as glissando, portamento or the 'trick Cs' we all know and love.

All this is just how I see it. Out of interest, like. Not trying to impose a definition on anyone else or ennyfink ...