Do you prefer to play "Loosy Goosy" or "Mighty Tighty"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
highland-piper
antispam: No

Re: Do you prefer to play "Loosy Goosy" or "Mighty Tighty"?

Post by highland-piper »

In my experience, "tight" is a word that can only apply to an ensemble. It means extremely "together."

If you start all your notes at exactly the same time, then you are tight. If one person is a little ahead, or a little behind, here and there, then you might be together, but you are not tight.

It has nothing to do with improvisation, lift, swing, or phrasing.

Being tight is a symptom of practicing together and listening to each other.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

mutepointe wrote:that must be the southern hemisphere, counterclockwise interpretation.
It comes from years of resentment over their toilets swirling incorrectly. :D
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Great thread; great Talasiga....Constitution, strict construction or living document?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Hmmmm.

No one enjoys the free expression of musical virtuosity more than do I. But when playing with other musicians, I prefer playing it tight until the solo opportunity presents itself. Sometimes, we use breakout points within tunes or songs for solo or duet playing which is totally improvisational and often very loose.

So I go both ways. Yes, I live in San Francisco so don't take this too far. I'm talking about music here.... :D
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

ecohawk wrote:Sometimes, we use breakout points within tunes or songs for solo or duet playing which is totally improvisational and often very loose.
Not to Image, but even improvisation is going to be "tight" if it's done by good musicians.

ecohawk wrote:So I go both ways.
So which smiley are you? :D
Jim

ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Reasonable point on the improvisation but then you haven't heard us improvise!

And as to your question about the smiley's, I'm always on the left so it's not likely to change now.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

ecohawk wrote:And as to your question about the smiley's, I'm always on the left so it's not likely to change now.
As am I ...hehe
Jim

Guyon

Post by Guyon »

After six pints or so, I get loosy goosy and start to grind my hips like Andrea Corr.

The effect, sadly, just isn't the same.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

JTC111 wrote:
Not to Image, but even improvisation is going to be "tight" if it's done by good musicians.
But not the first time they play together...

Not unless they're telepathic, that is.

You just can't predict how someone else is going to phrase something without learning a lot about how s/he plays (baring the telepathic thing).
rosehebrew

Post by rosehebrew »

JTC111 wrote:Musically in the past, I believe you could only use the term to describe a musical act of more than one person. I don't think you could describe a solo performer as "tight." But these days I'm hearing the word used quite a bit by kids. It's still a positive, but, as I think about it, it's not exclusive to music. Kids will describe haircuts, clothes, sneakers, all manner of things, as "tight.
I get what your saying JTC but it did bring back a memory of playing music with a horn player that took up-TIGHT to a whole new level. He must have been born with an on-board metronome and counted it his mission to be just perfect. It was really dreadful and finally we just totally avoided any kind of musical moments with him. We even tried the "Just loosen up" approach but it became clear that we were not speaking in the same language. He would have done much better playing in a symphony, not with us folky/country/bluesy hicks. It sounded like a midi file. No thanks as far as I'm concerned but I am probably this way because of where I have walked. I like things together too but it is not my religion. :D
The musicians that didn't know music could play the best blues. I know that I don't want no musicians who know all about music playin' for me. Alberta Hunter
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Hey, I played with his evil twin. Although I have only had an informal education in music, I can read and play sheet music. This guy couldn't read sheet music at all. Didn't know what a measure was and just liked feeling the vibe which was not the same vibe he felt 5 minutes earlier. He was very disappointed that he couldn't be the front man and ultimately decided we weren't a good fit. We all wished him well. He makes a good solo act.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

I'm putting my vote in for having three pints, holding it tight, and playing it loose... but I always do that after three pints. :D
Playing, not paying.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

PhilO wrote:Great thread; great Talasiga....Constitution, strict construction or living document?

Philo
living in document
and extending it
beyond strict construction

:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit