Blackbirds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
daynamite209
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Blackbirds

Post by daynamite209 »

'Lo there! What are your thought's on the Jerry Freeman Blackbird? Also what is your favorite of all of his tweaks? Many thanks!
Denny

Re: Blackbirds

Post by Denny »

might want to read this thread....

Which Freeman?
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Pay no attention to that man... just 'cause he got the last word in that thread and won't let anyone forget it. besides, you saw his avatar - that's a chicken, not a blackbird - and Jerry's got a duck. and me, I've got bats and they ain't even birds... just some kinda damned mammal animals....

tweet tweet :poke:
Playing, not paying.
Denny

Post by Denny »

shrews.... flying shrews they are :D
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

I own Blackbirds in D, C and Eb and simply love them. Jerry did an excellent job on making each of them sound sweet and hold a great tone. I use them for recording at home and general practice all the time. :thumbsup:

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

I don't know if you've seen this from the The Whistle Shop
http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/w ... ckbird.htm
The Jerry Freeman tweaked Blackbird is a standard body penny whistle noted for its pure, birdlike voicing, especially in the high register. It plays clean and pure throughout its range and records beautifully.

Hardcore traditionalists love the Blackbird because it has playing characteristics similar to the traditional mass produced whistles, but with a sweeter, cleaner voicing and smoother playability. It requires a gentle breath control, especially in the lowest notes. The Blackbird is medium in loudness, quieter than some whistles, but with a bright, clear timbre that carries well.

Blackbird vs. Mellow Dog comparison:

The Freeman tweaked Blackbird is a quieter whistle than the Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog. The Blackbird has a purer (you could say "less complex") voicing, especially in the upper register, which is very birdlike, hence the name. The Blackbird requires more subtle, gentle breath control, whereas the Mellow Dog will accept a more forceful breath. The Blackbird is a standard body whistle; the Mellow Dog is a wide body whistle.

In addition to being a lovely sounding whistle that advanced players enthusiastically endorse, the Blackbird is recommended for beginning players as they develop breath control. Although it requires a gentle breath in the lowest notes, the whistle is very clean playing and consistent throughout its range, so it will reward very quickly, the practice needed for a beginner to master its playing characteristics.
I'll be getting a set....................eventually.
Right now I should have a Mellow Dog set on it's way to me.
Good luck.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

All of Jerry's whistles are great so it depends on what you are looking for. The Mellow Dog is a great all around whistle while the Blackbird is an especially nice quiet whistle.
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

i have one in D and i like the whistle took awhile tho......

;-)

www.tuxedomusic.com
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

I have a C Blackbird, and it is very nice and easy to play, the same goes for the Mellow Dog from Jerry that was my first whistle. He certainly does good work.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I've a Mellow Dog D/C set and a Blackbird D - lovely whistles; for a very fair price a young whistler could thereby get all s/he would need!

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.