What is the "Best" side blown, Transverse Irish Flute ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tyiam
antispam: No

What is the "Best" side blown, Transverse Irish Flute ?

Post by tyiam »

From your experience of "Playing" a Transverse Irish flute.... and why?
Feadoggie

Re: What is the "Best" side blown, Transverse Irish Flute ?

Post by Feadoggie »

This question should be asked on the Transverse Irish Flute board.

My two cents. There is no "Best" flute.

The simplest answer is "the flute that you prefer to play". There are many contenders for the title - best flute. Much depends on the preferences, style and physiology of the player. The flute player matters a great deal to the overall sound equation on the flute. What is best for one player may not suit the next player. No one flute is the best for every player. I have my favorites and other players will have theirs. Some like historical flutes, others prefer modern intertpretations. Do some reading and you'll get a decent background on what works, and why.

So let me ask you. What is the length of a piece of string?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Feadoggie wrote:This question should be asked on the Transverse Irish Flute board.
Hey Presto. :wink:
Feadoggie wrote:No one flute is the best for every player.
You got that right.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Feadoggie wrote:
So let me ask you. What is the length of a piece of string?

Feadoggie
My favorite answer, like, ever. :thumbsup:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Feadoggie wrote:So let me ask you. What is the length of a piece of string?

Feadoggie
I think I know this kōan.

Three pounds of flax (twine)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Basically, tyiam, what you want to do is familiarise yourself with the top makers' products. Are you thinking of playing simple-sytem flute, or are you thinking of making them?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I play a Hamilton.

I've had a chance to try a number of different flutes from various makers...I sound like me on all of 'em. :wink:

That said, the subjective experience of playing them can be very different. Some make you work harder than others. Sometimes that's a bad thing--sometimes, depending on your approach to playing the music, you might think that's a good thing.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:...or are you thinking of making them?
If this is the case McGee has instructions and plans for a Pratten for sale, the flutemakers might be helpful. It seems to me like flutes based on the Rudall & Rose and Pratten dimensions are the most common with adjustments made by individual makers.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Nanohedron wrote:You got that right.
-Mr. Mohra speaking to Officer Olson, Fargo ....I love that movie.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

JTC111 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:You got that right.
-Mr. Mohra speaking to Officer Olson, Fargo ....I love that movie.
I had no idea that would be a Minnesota thing. Or at least an Upper Midwest thing. Umm...is it?

I didn't even notice it in the movie. Which stands to reason, I suppose. Yep...you betcha. :wink:

...Oh, and by the way, tyiam: in this case "sideblown" and "transverse" are the same thing. Just to save you some typing time in the future, like. :wink:
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Basically, tyiam, what you want to do is familiarise yourself with the top makers' products. Are you thinking of playing simple-sytem flute, or are you thinking of making them?
Both... I think the best is a good teacher and as was pointed out by Feadoggie... The simplest answer is "the flute that you prefer to play"
What are the top Irish Transverse Flute Makers? That depends on what people prefer to play... :-? and cost, etc.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

Here's a list to get you started. Seems professionals tend to play these brands:

Olwell
Grinter
Wilkes
Hamilton
Murray
Doyle
Burns
McGee
Rudall
Wilde

Not a be all / end all list. Just the brands I've heard pro's using. I believe the top 3 listed have the longest queues and are the highest priced. The last two are antiques usually restored by master flute makers, e.g. Olwell.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Good luck in your search for the best flute.
Last edited by greenspiderweb on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~~~
Barry
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

tyiam wrote:What are the top Irish Transverse Flute Makers?
Well, if you are looking to buy then you could start with the sticky topic at the top of this board which lists flute makers. Who would be on the top 20 will vary by individual preference. Olwell, Hamilton, McGee, Noy, Wilkes, Burns, Copley, Gallagher, Grinter, Murray, Copeland, etc,etc. Cost? Keyed or keyless? How deep are your pockets? You can start by looking at the Irish Flute Store for what Doc has available there and what he is asking. The best thing to do is get out and try some flutes or find a teacher who can help you assess what would be good for you.

As for making flutes, I would suggest that you learn to play first. It helps greatly in determining what you are doing well or not. The suggestions made above by I.D.-t. are good ones. Otherwise you could start with a detailed museum drawings or an example of a good flute and do the measurements yourself. Make your reamers and get down to it. There's a lot to it, more than whistles I am afraid. Do a Pratten; do a Ruddall; do a Nicholson; do a Firth, Pond and Hall. Figure out what works and then do your own. Good luck.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Akiba, what professionals play Burns and McGee flutes? (note that I'm saying nothing about the quality of their flutes, it is just that the makers seem famous among us but perhaps not so well known elsewere?) And I haven't seen many Wylde flutes around, they're a bit rarer that Rudalls, I think...
Grinter, Olwell, Murray are the flutes I've seen around more often (in my limited experience), and Wilkes are usually very much desired (but the waiting list is crazy even for pros!).
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute