A question of taste

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: A question of taste

Post by benhall.1 »

I.D.10-t wrote:Manufactured notoriety. It seems it was mentioned on Tosh.0 or something and people have been clicking to see how "bad" it is. It is now linked here and probably received more hits due to it. The longer this artificial "controversy" lasts, the more air play the news, comedians, and others will get from it.
Yeah, I was aware of that issue when I started the thread. But then I thought "It's had 22 million hits so far. It's not going to make any appreciable difference posting it here." Plus, I have to say, it interested me. I've probably been suckered, but ... what the heck?
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

I.D.10-t wrote:Manufactured notoriety.
From a marketing perspective, that isn't a bad thing.

You're all clicking their videos, aren't you? :D
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

Clarinetcat wrote:You're all clicking their videos, aren't you? :D
True. But I ain't payin' for nuthin'!

:D
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

...and some of us won't be clicking on the link a second time.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I will. I liked it.

PS 29 million hits now, according to the BBC. I doubt those extra 7 million were all Chiffers.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

fearfaoin wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:What IS perhaps novel are the lyrics in the sense that they are samplings from messages on internet social media like Twitter or Facebook, and that is of course very au courant. But there's still no work/craftsmanship involved, as I count it, unless cutting and pasting together a collage may be called work/craftsmanship.
Is this true? Because that would explain a lot.
It's word on the street, anyway.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

benhall.1 wrote:I will. I liked it.

PS 29 million hits now, according to the BBC. I doubt those extra 7 million were all Chiffers.
Most likely not considering this thread has so far only had around 300 views, and it is likely that not all of those views are from one time viewers. We'd have more of an effect with her unplugged version.

I don't know where the information about the lyrics being from "samplings from messages on internet social media like Twitter or Facebook" came from. Seems the song was written by Ark's writer and was part of a package deal that was payed for by her mom (kind of like a vanity book publisher). I wonder how many more packages will be sold after this.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:I don't know where the information about the lyrics being from "samplings from messages on internet social media like Twitter or Facebook" [came from].
Hey, I just saw it on some comments somewhere. I took it as coming from someone who probably knew. Made sense so far as it goes; the lyrics certainly give an impression of that when you think of it, anyway. Man. I have a feeling I'd better duck if people are gonna shoot the messenger.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

I didn't intend my statement of "I don't know" as an editorial comment, rather a statement of not knowing. The writer may have pulled inspiration from twitter feeds, who knows.

(PS. Thanks for completing the sentence and adding "came from", sometimes I forget what I am saying)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

OK, I finally listened. And I can honestly say it's the best auto-tuned 3-note song I've heard all day. It really is!

Lest you think the lyrics are too simplistic ... Check out the acoustic version of the song performed on GMA, where she sings:

Yesterday was Thursday,
Saturday is Friday.

This stuff is obviously harder than you thought!

And that rap sequence is not at all completely creepy. No, not creepy at all.

I'm now working on two wholesome new songs to offer to ARK Records. The first is "Roy G. Biv", about a preteen boy who eats some of daddy's special mushrooms:

Red, red, red,
All inside my head,
Orange, orange, orange,
Nothing rhymes with orange ...

And "My Very Eager Mother", about a girl who want to be a teen pop slut, but her overbearing mom insists she study planetary science:

Mercury's the first one,
Venus is the next one,
Earth it is the third one,
And Mars is where the Martians live ...

And now I'm going to go listen to "The Ketchup Song" and "Touch My Bum" for a while, just to cleanse the aural palatte.

BTW ... I wonder what Dale and his Teen Driving Contract would have to say about five 13-year olds packed into a car, driving (!) around, none of them wearing seat belts, the driver with his hands off the wheel, and the rear passengers standing up.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

MTGuru wrote:OK, I finally listened. And I can honestly say it's the best auto-tuned 3-note song I've heard all day. It really is!

Lest you think the lyrics are too simplistic ... Check out the acoustic version of the song performed on GMA, where she sings:

Yesterday was Thursday,
Saturday is Friday.

This stuff is obviously harder than you thought!

And that rap sequence is not at all completely creepy. No, not creepy at all.
So ... you liked it then?

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:BTW ... I wonder what Dale and his Teen Driving Contract would have to say about five 13-year olds packed into a car, driving (!) around, none of them wearing seat belts, the driver with his hands off the wheel, and the rear passengers standing up.
Indeed. :really:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I don't know what the fuss over vacuous/nonsensical lyrics is all about; the Beatles pulled it off and even made it respectable, after all. :wink:
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I wanna hold your hand.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Don't touch me.