Improving, but seeking advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
krabben
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Improving, but seeking advice

Post by krabben »

Picked up my first wind intrument about 18months ago, which was a Bb generation whistle. Shortly thereafter I aquired the infamous WhOA, and I now own all sorts of flutes/low whistles/high whistles. Ever since that first Bb generation I've been teaching myself to play by mostly listening to celtic music on youtube etc. I play alot of non ITM music using flutes/whistles, but I also try to practise some traditional tunes once in a while. I'm having a hard time getting the ornamentation right though.

Basically what Im asking: Is there a "wrong" way of learning cuts, rolls and so on? I've basically just been trying to emulate what I hear in experienced players recordings, and so far it atleast sounds ok.

I just uploaded a short video of a little tune I composed recently. I'm not sure if it can be called a proper jig though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi0kD4udmlY

Emil
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Improving, but seeking advice

Post by benhall.1 »

I like that. I didn't think I would, but you won me over. :thumbsup:

To me, it sounds more like a fling or something than a jig. Those strange little Scotch snaps in there - rhythm = 1/16 note followed by dotted 1/8 note or something similar - give it a Scottish flavour in what otherwise sounds pretty Irish to me. Maybe it's 'pan-Celtic' or something like that. That's all fine though. I like the tune.

Just at the start of the first part, the rhythm seems to go off - it happened on each go-through, so I'm guessing that's a part you haven't quite got down yet. And the usual advice applies - practise it slowly.

I'm not sure about the other part of your question, mind. A right and wrong way to practise cuts and taps? There must be many on each side, right and wrong, I would think. You could do with getting them crisper though (couldn't we all?) so maybe do what I've been told to do by various people. Try playing a long note. A 'G' to start off with. Then, without stopping the note, put a cut in the middle of it. Keep doing that until it's really crisp. Do the same with taps. Then move on to other notes and put cuts and taps in the middle of them. The caveat is that, if you're yer average human (as opposed to a God :wink: ), it will take ages - months and months - to get the cuts and taps really crisp. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I think it's harder on low whistle than on a high one, so it may be an idea to get them as crisp as possible on high D first, before transferring that crispness to your low whistles.

Oh, and a basic roll is the note, with a cut and a tap in it. So, try practising them with your long G, then a cut then a tap, but all really slowly and with the three parts taking the same length, if you see what I mean. Get the cut and the tap as crisp as possible. (Niote: there will be other, slightly different comments on this bit. They'll be along in a minute ...)
krabben

Post by krabben »

Thanks for usefull advice Ben! I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to ITM and celtic music in general. Sometimes I'm not too sure what Im composing really :D I should really work more on playing in time. Its easy to be slacking off when youre mostly playing by yourself. I also usually find it easier to get crips cuts when playing flute.
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

I like it too! :thumbsup:

www.tuxedomusic.com
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Wow !!

If I'm that proficient after 18 months I'll be well pleased :)

From where I was sitting I didn't notice any variations in tempo ... probably because I do it myself ... the whole tune just seemed "natural", call it "artistic interpretation" ... really nice ... thanks for sharing 8)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
Whistle Free or Die

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Hey krabben,
I do admire your spunk.
You are composing and playing your own music.
Keep up the good work.
Susan
krabben

Post by krabben »

Another question though. Is it of significant which fingers you use to perform cuts? For example: When I do a cut on a E note, I usually very briefly lift the finger covering T3.
Last edited by krabben on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
osage59

Post by osage59 »

Whistle Free or Die wrote: You are composing and playing your own music.
Keep up the good work.
Yep. Most excellent! :)
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

krabben wrote:Another question though. Is it of significant which fingers you use to perform cuts? For example: When I do a cut on a E note, I usually very briefly lift the finger covering T3.
Others will surely give their thoughts on this. Here's my experience. Some players prefer to cut using the hole just above the note sounded. So you would cut on B1 for the E. Others would use T3 to cut any note sounding the notes using the bottom three holes and T1 for the notes sounded by the top three holes. So that method is what you describe. Results from each method can be different on various whistles so you use what gives you the best results. I personally don't pay attention to which method I use. Life's too short and I'm too old. It depends more on the tune for me although I tend to use T3 for notes sounded by B1, B2 and B3.

I found your video to be enjoyable.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

krabben wrote:Another question though. Is it of significant which fingers you use to perform cuts? For example: When I do a cut on a E note, I usually very briefly lift the finger covering T3.
I gave your YouTube video a listen and your tune, while in 6/8, is missing an understanding/familiarity with Irish music to make it sound like a jig. If you spend some more time listening to Irish music you'll likely be able to rephrase the notes in a way that sounds more in the style of traditional music (if that is your goal).

In regard to your question above, there are various schools of thought as mentioned by others but I think the best advice to give to any person regarding these matters is to know how you want to sound and experiment with different ways of achieving it until you find what you're happy with. For me personally, my choices for cut notes are a mixture of habit and intention. I started out learning from the school that says something like "any notes below G get cut with T2 and those above get cut with T1." Some of that habit creeps up on me at times but when I'm being intentional I choose based on the sound I get with which finger on the whistle/flute/pipe I'm playing at the moment. For example, cutting your G with T3 on most whistles will typically give you a softer result than cutting G with T2 or T1. Just experiment and listen.
krabben

Post by krabben »

I wasnt specifically going for a jig I guess. To be honest I wasnt even paying attention to what time signature I was composing in at first. I listen to alot of both traditional and experimental celtic music I guess. I'm a big fan of Brian Finnegan. Thank you for tips and clarification about the cuts and all.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

I'm impressed! Have to confess that I opened the link hesitantly, because so often the clips make me cringe - but yours sounds just great. I heard the Brian Finnegan influence straightaway; I like that too. No need to go more traditional, in my opinion, there are enough people covering that already.

Can't give you any advice, because your playing is way ahead of mine, other than: keep it up.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

krabben wrote:I wasnt specifically going for a jig I guess. To be honest I wasnt even paying attention to what time signature I was composing in at first. I listen to alot of both traditional and experimental celtic music I guess.
I was only trying to address your question:
I just uploaded a short video of a little tune I composed recently. I'm not sure if it can be called a proper jig though?
Also, It can be difficult when someone asks questions about executing ornaments, etc. to answer the question if there is no benchmark (i.e., traditional music) to use as a standard. Without that I suppose anything goes if you're happy with how it sounds.
I suppose my comments were in the context of someone who was aiming for traditional expression. If that's not your goal then you're welcome to take my comments with a grain of salt.

Best of luck
Lyn D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lyn D »

krabbin,

I really liked your tune. :thumbsup: Keep up the good work!

Lyn
BSG-11288

Post by BSG-11288 »

i can offer a wonderful suggestion for you, if you're trying to learn how to play cuts and strikes, and rolls etc.

there is a book, the traditional penny whistle handbook by Och, and it comes with a CD. it breaks down all the traditional ornamentations into easy to learn lessons, and there are accompanying audio tracks on the CD to go with every ornament slowed down so you can hear it very easily, and then sped up so you can hear what it should sound like.

as to your question, if there's a right or wrong way? i don't think so, it's your personal style, you can only learn everything you can, and then interpret it how you will.

hope this helps!