FS - FT Peter Noy boxwood flute - SOLD

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
yvie
antispam: No

FS - FT Peter Noy boxwood flute - SOLD

Post by yvie »

UPDATE

SOLD

thanks for all the whistle offers to save wasting anyones time, I would consider the following as whistle trades.

1 -Copeland high D older pre serial number or philadelphia shamrock model
2 -Delrin Abell high D
3 -Delrin rose high D
4 -Ian simpson high D
5- Lon Dubh new style high D,

any of the above or anything else interesting, I will accept $1100 or near offer with no trade, or any of the above and $635 or two of the above and $335.

but if you have a couple of other interesting whistles in the same class just let me know

Hello all at chiff,

I am sadly selling my Peter Noy flute, made of Boxwood, recently purchased from Damian chiff member in Ireland and a very nice guy, when I bought the flute it had ivoroid rings which needed some attention as there where a few splits and cracks, there was also a tiny crack in amber embouchure insert, it didn't affect the playing of the flute, and there is a slight boxwood bend towards the player in the main section, its stable and from what damian said has not moved in the 8 or so years he had it, and also has not moved since I have had the flute.

it also has a thinned headjoint and boehm style raised embouchure with insert this has now been replaced with horn and creates a very hard blowing edge, read refurb blurb

FLUTE REFURBS

I sent the flute back to Peter in Seattle and had a few coversations on the phone with him, also another great guy to talk to.

he has replaced all 6 ivoroid rings with beautifuly turned horn rings and replaced the embouchure insert with horn which is much harder than amber, the flute was cleaned, new tennon corks fitted and a bore polish, it also has a large amber stone in the headstopper and solid silver tuning slide, its a great flute and I will be sad to see it go, but I have a degree of arthritus in my left thumb, and playing flute boehm and trad aggevates it, I can still knock out tunes on my whistle as its less stress.

below is a link to the original post when Damian was selling it and a link to Damian playing it as well, I hope you dont mind Damian, but you do the flute much better justice than me.

I will try and gets some pictures up of the flute now its been refurbed, the clip is before refurb it now has dark horn rings and dark embouchure insert, and has a new pistol case and inserts.

Now to price, I paid 700 Euro or $ 970 and peters refurb charge was $400
so the cost without mark-up would be $1370 i'm not going to be asking that much, peter only made one flute like this and remembered it well when I returned it, as he loved the sound it produced, which is very distintive and punchy, the flute has a great buzz to it and is very light to hold, when you get the embouchure right you can feel it vibrate.
I will take any sensible offers or trades for good whistles, I'm not after a quick profit
as I love playing music and am happy to sink it all back into whistle. pm me or e-mail direct
at yviehoward(at)hotmail.com just replace (at) with @

I forgot to mention I am based in the UK and am happy to ship worldwide at cost, I would need a location to get a accurate price, if you wanted to try the flute let me know and we can arrange a time, I live in sussex, and work in Surrey near Guildford.

thanks Yvie

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75648&p=968824&hilit=noy#p968824
http://s794.photobucket.com/albums/yy22 ... CF5341.flv

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by yvie on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: FS - FT Peter Noy boxwood flute - pics added

Post by dow »

What a beautiful flute. I wish I had something to trade for it.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
yvie

Re: FS - FT Peter Noy boxwood flute - whistles for flute

Post by yvie »

shameless Update Bump,

yes dow she is a beauty :D
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Oh man, I've played this flute up in Seattle when Damien had it, and when it first went on sale I kicked myself for not buying it, and now it's available again in a new and improved form... It has the most amazing feel in the hand when played, the boxwood just buzzes. I must have this instrument and you seldom get a second chance.

yvie, check your PMs!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

eskin wrote:Oh man, I've played this flute up in Seattle when Damien had it, and when it first went on sale I kicked myself for not buying it, and now it's available again in a new and improved form... It has the most amazing feel in the hand when played, the boxwood just buzzes. I must have this instrument and you seldom get a second chance.

yvie, check your PMs!
Yes, you can play that flute until you are blue in the face.
eskin

Re: FS - FT Peter Noy boxwood flute - SOLD

Post by eskin »

Woo Hoo!
planxtydt

Post by planxtydt »

Congratulations on the sale and the purchase! I have a keyed one of these in blackwood and it has the most amazing tone. I have played that particular flute and would have bought it had I enough money when Damian was selling. On my own flute I got the thinned head and standard head from Peter and much prefer the thinned head. I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase eskin.
damoinclare

Post by damoinclare »

Wow she looks beautiful with the horn rings and the refurb...such an epic flute!! Whoever get's this will be definitely stoked! Plus this is the lightest flute in the world I think. Fair play to you Yvie for having Peter do the refurb. Sorry to hear about the arthritis. Hope you are doing well otherwise.
eskin

Post by eskin »

The Noy is on its way to Patrick Dunn in Scotland. I wasn't able to adapt to the large square embrochure of the Noy, so traded it to Patrick for a wonderful boxwood Olwell keyless that I'm very much enjoying.

The Noy was one of the prettiest instruments I've ever seen, but I believe flutes deserve to be played, not collected, so I needed to find it a new home instead of keeping it in my closet. I'll miss it.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Ah got hit with a 200 pound customs bill today. The flute was marked No sale returned for repair. I've never had to pay before. 2oo pound on a 1200 dollar flute is extortionate no. Has anyone ever contested? Is it possible. Its the vat that was so high. I don't have the funds right now. I may need to sell a flute to pay. Anyone ever deal with the customs folks?
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

yes you have a good case. i had similar case in usa and won after a few phone calls.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

I've never appealed - had no cause to the handful of times I've been caught by them - and after the first time I vectored the possibility of getting caught and charged into my budgets. You can read up on it all by following links from Royal Mail's page about it (bottom of page). Having read them in the past, I don't hold out much hope (unlike rama), I'm afraid, unless (which you can't) you can definitively prove the "returned for repair" argument. BTW, second hand/used goods (including antiques) are not exempt in GB.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ducks »

to be honest, the grief involved in contesting is huge. I had someone return a necklace they had bought from me for a refund and I got stung with customs on that. Absolutely nothing I managed to do about it at all.
sophie
damoinclare

Post by damoinclare »

Glad to hear it's going to someone who will play her. Sorry about the customs I hate those people. I had a friend send me an old mp3 player with a couple gigs of local Seattle music on it as a gift and it got held up in Dublin last week. First they said it was new, which it clearly wasn't it was all scratched and old. Then they said it doesn't matter that it's not new and a gift I still needed to pay 30 quid for it. Ridiculous the thing isn't even worth that. They're thieves. Anyway, maybe you'll have better luck than I did. Hope you enjoy the flute anyway, and if you ever come to the west of Ireland let me know and we'll have some tunes. Would like to see and maybe play the flute after the refurb.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Same thing happened to me when the Noy was first sent to the U.S. from the U.K., I got hit up with a bill for about $100 for customs duties. The whole tariff system is so incredibly archaic...