Leaving

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Re: Leaving

Post by Rob Sharer »

talasiga wrote:I don't ever recall being hammered on for making endless glib unfunny condescensions to people thoughtfully taking part in a topic whilst myself being the monkey for the person who began the topic but, in fact, doing serious damage to the topic OP position by the manner of my monkeying.

As to your Q, I like to measure my responses by the yardstick of "freshness".
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

p.s. Welcome to my "ignore" list.
Arch_Angel
antispam: No

Post by Arch_Angel »

It was the opinion of several people who kindly asked you to disengage. I apologize if you felt it was an order by us non-mods. It was not. It was a request to not be belittled and stay on topic.

I made my appologies to the OP. I respected his debate. Have you made any such offering for being a part the reason his valid topic was locked up? It doesn't appear that you acknowledge your own fault in the matter.

:o I'm sure Talasiga will be greatly punished by being on your ignore list.

If anybody is interested, the OP was informed of what part I held in the process of his topic being locked. He accepted my appologies, but didn't think they were needed. He understood why I did what I did. He did tell me he would consider rejoining when more people are respectful, and others can understand the difference between having their product insulted (long day I can't think of the word that better fits my meaning) and offering constructive criticism. I didn't attempt to look up that instance to know if he may have gone to far. As for his complaint about a lack of maturity within the Chiff Board community, I understand it.
Speak up, judge righteously, Champion the poor and the needy.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Rob Sharer wrote:.......
p.s. Welcome to my "ignore" list.

most gracious of you.
thanks.
:)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I've always heard wheelies "popped".
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Arch_Angel wrote:It was the opinion of several people who kindly asked you to disengage. I apologize if you felt it was an order by us non-mods. It was not. It was a request to not be belittled and stay on topic.

....Which I was entitled to ignore. And did.

If your definition of "on topic" means "dry and humorless", maybe you ought to consider submitting to some of the finer professional journals rather than puttering around here with the wags and cards.

Rob
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You'd think by now someone would invent a way for multiple people to have the last word. I know someone already invented a way for two or more people with differing views to be right at the same time. In John Steinbeck's novel Grapes of Wrath, there is a line, "That's the truth to him." That keeps the Joad family heading to California.
白飞梦
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Last word, schmast word. I'm sitting here thinking we were having a fun-filled romp, trying to cleanse the palate from the less-than-savory pastry we all took a bite of, but some people can't seem to resist getting a few licks in.

I feel like I'm at the State Fair, playing "Whack-a-Mole". Of course, I've never won squat at the Fair.

Rob
Kirk B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kirk B »

mutepointe wrote:I've always heard wheelies "popped".
Right you are. I was going to correct myself once I realized my error but I figured that no one else would notice (or care for that matter).

In any event, it's hole-shots that are "pulled". :)

BTW, I just came back from Shop n' Save and the chips and salsa display was a sight to behold. Black and Gold everywhere.

Kirk
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Like all of a sudden, folks aren't going to notice stuff like that.

I would paste the picture but I can't. One of my facebook friends is a nun and the statue of St. Mother Seton at Seton Hill College is all dressed up in Steeler Stuff.
白飞梦
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I just want to mention that when people bandy about the word "maturity" in the behavioral sense, they don't define it, and that drives me to distraction.

Is it an amorphous standard imposed, by oneself or in the minds of others, on the sum of one's years that means we can't be wags and cards and have no fun at all? If so, bleh on that. In that case I at least am one audience you have irreparably lost.

Or does it mean civility in the way we treat each other? That I accept as a worthwhile standard for maturity.

But, nobody's really being clear about it. Just in case communicating well actually matters, like.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

“When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.”
白飞梦
Arch_Angel

Post by Arch_Angel »

Quite right Nano. I am refering to civility. I wouldn't mind a bit, if we all decided to play "drunken sailor" simutenously, or some other sport. I have even personally encouraged it with my own Tweaks Challange. I just see no point to derailing somebody's discussion with useless banter that only reflects poorly on oneself, and their position.

Staying "On Topic" doesn't force anyone to be dry and hummorless. Most people can incorperate humor into the topic without belittling others or talking about "bacon donuts" and such. Resorting to that banter only indicates that you cannot support your position and you need to distract others from the issue.

Rob, ignoring the request is what made people upset with you and a Mod was requested to intervine. If you had choosen to be civil by posting only relevant material as per the request, a moderator wouldn't have needed to intervine, and perhaps Terry wouldn't have been as irritated for the other issue.

Tal, you're making me jealouse.
Speak up, judge righteously, Champion the poor and the needy.
weedie

Post by weedie »

mutepointe wrote:
I've always heard wheelies "popped".

"Chucked" is also accepted Mute :thumbsup: ...
Wheelies are always spectacular ( when someone else does them :) )..I gave up after one time when then right hand (throttle) was too enthusiastic ....and ended up on my backside while the bike went a tumblin' down the road ... a bit like this chap http://motogpworld.net/wp-content/uploa ... /08/w3.jpg

Leaving ? ...no thanks ,I'll stay ..
" Quiet is quite nice " ..... weedie .....
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Well said AA :thumbsup:

Rob: do you really have an ignore list? Who is on it?
Or was your remark part of an attempt to show humour?
Sarcasm and irony and such twisted forms are really hard
to perceive in a text-only communication like here.
And use of emoticons can only help a little.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Is there an application form for the ignore list?

:lol:

[I don't actually mean that, Rob, as, in my personal experience, you have only ever been helpful to me. Some of your comments last year directly helped me to improve my playing. So ... um ... don't shut up, or ignore me, please!]