Patsy Hanley's flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
deisman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Patsy Hanley's flute

Post by deisman »

just wondering if anyone knows what flute Patsy is playing in this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLcfnY8-gY

I hope my flute looks that loved someday...
I'm on it...
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Patsy Hanley's flute

Post by Akiba »

So funny you should post this...I was just looking at these youtube vids a couple of days ago and was wondering about PH's flute, particularly that blue patch around the barrel.

My guess is that it's a Rudall and the blue is duck tape to seal a badly cracked barrel.

Great playing, ain't it though?
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Why, that's Patsy Hanley's flute! In those days, I think you mostly played the one that was handed to you at the appropriate time.

Meanwhile, I believe I spy a young Ciaran Tourish swaying to the music.

Rob
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Guess we all could use a handout... Especially one that sounds like that - of course he is a fantastic player
I'm on it...
pflipp

Post by pflipp »

Look at what's happening at 0:44. This man is playing a keyed, right-handed flute in left hand style, and still manages to find the C key with his top hand pinky. (Although it might just be an Eb instrument, then it would be the C# (Db?) key...)

Most likely he's also playing against the embouchure cut, so I guess the sound is more about him being Jimi than about his guitar being a Strat :)
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The C key actually is the long F key, re-fitted to the C position, and there is no long F key on the flute. The keys appear to be nickel slver, the striker plates are round, so it *could* be a later Rudall, maybe #6xxx series, but also all sorts of other flutes from around that time looked about the same. I'm a bit unsure about the keys, they don't look too familiar if I compare them with my own #6000ish Rudall's keys. The headjoint appears to be considerably darker, probably from another flute. Also note the flare under the duct tape, looks a bit Clementiesque. All in all it appears to be a player's flute, composed from what was available and repaired to make it playable without having historical aspects in mind, where form follows function. And function is certainly proven to be there!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Does that help?

I may be able to get a better view in a few weeks.
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Wow, he really gets that thumb around to the outside.
Jay
Tell us something.: Hello, I make flutes for Irish traditional music. Three models in D (Large and small Rudalls and a Pratten), a Boosey Eb, and a Rudall Bb.

Post by Jay »

I like how he hits the C key with his pinky at 0:44...

Do lefty's have full use of the keys on a right handed flute?

Jay
Maker of wooden flutes for Irish traditional music. www.woodenflutes.com
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Jay wrote:I like how he hits the C key with his pinky at 0:44...

Do lefty's have full use of the keys on a right handed flute?

Jay
We have a player here in Germany who used to play left handed on a right handed fully keyed flute. She used all the keys save the foot keys. Tunes in A major required some left hand acrobatics to hit the G# key, though :)
She now switched to a flute made especially for her with a very unique key design. No acrobatics needed anymore, but I guess a righty won't be able to use the keys...
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

...bit of video I took at the Cruinniú na bhFliúit last year, you might like

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/vid ... 2707082505
Mark
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

MarkP wrote:...bit of video I took at the Cruinniú na bhFliúit last year, you might like

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/vid ... 2707082505

Can't see the video...perhaps one needs to be your friend in order to see it?
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I am Mark's FB friend and I can see the video just fine. Terrific post, Mark. Thanks a million. Too bad Patsy's playing in the morning, when he can't play very well. (His words, not mine).
Mark's post goes a long way towards compensation for having to wade through the recent humorless crap being posted by people with too much time on their hands.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
deisman

Post by deisman »

Mark - I couldn't access it either even after I logged into my FB... Here's a nice video of Patsy and friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCU07LkzSvE
I'm on it...