Impempe Whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Impempe Whistle tour

Post by DrPhill »

Nice review Feadoggie. One slight problem.... the file links take me to my own boxnet files. Is this my bad or yours?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

DrPhill wrote:Nice review Feadoggie. One slight problem.... the file links take me to my own boxnet files. Is this my bad or yours?
I can't access the links either.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nor me ...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

DrPhill wrote:Nice review Feadoggie. One slight problem.... the file links take me to my own boxnet files.
You might be better off that way not having to hear me DrPhil! :) It was my bad, for sure. The links should be fixed now.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

I've had the Impempe high D for a couple of days. Nice whistle. Well balanced, plenty of volume, in good tune, nice blow pressure.
At $60 I'd buy one without any hesitation.

I've posted some rough sound clips on this page, at the bottom:
http://www.toppish.com/Beta/Jack_Lindbe ... dings.html

Thanks Ian - well done.
cboody

Post by cboody »

The Impempe on tour in the US leaves me tomorrow. It is a good value in every way.

To my ears the sound is less "edgy" and more "round" than many whistles. Not recorderish by any means but a nice full and somewhat mellow sound. The top three notes of octave 2 seem to take quite a bit of extra pressure to sound clearly and thus get a bit "shreaky" (sp) but that may well be because of my limited time with the instrument.

the instrument is very solid feeling, much heavier than many hi D whistles, and not at all uncomfortable. It feels like you are holding quality. The workmanship is very nice indeed.

At the current $60 US price I'd say this is a find deal and worthy of your attention.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

I just had my week on the tour.
The first thing the Impempe reminded me of (looks/ fine craftsmanship) was my Burke. Very nice work, no rough edges, a nice piece of art, as well as musical instrument.
I really liked the very small amount of chiff. I don't like a raspy sound, but just a little expressive character in the tone, and this whistle has it.
Low notes are not delicate at all, and i would rate it at medium to loud volume.
The high A and B (and up) take a bit of push, though not untouchable, well suited for a session, maybe a bit loud for in home practice (on the high end).
Didn't have any issues at all changing octaves, cross fingered C natural was right on.
Absolutely worth the $60. My only concern is the sticker, which was rubbing off by time i had received it (close to top hole). With one owner, less cleanings, this might not even be an issue though.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
flynnieous

Post by flynnieous »

So, where is the whistle these days?
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

flynnieous wrote:So, where is the whistle these days?
I think I saw it here recently.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I sent it across the pond from my home in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how long it takes with the weather and the holidays.
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Probably about time for an update on the status. There was a couple of whistles doing the rounds and the tour is drawing to a close - I don't think anyone is still outstanding. Please would you get a hold of me soon if you were signed up for the tour and have not received it yet - with the holidays and the passing of my father, I don't have my confirmation list handy.

I have received some valuable feedback both publicly and privately and hope to implement some changes in 2011 that will improve the whistle more. I sent out the 'bog standard' that I make with no special attention as I felt it was the bottom line that needed feedback on and this I have received and so thank you all who have participated and given your impressions no matter how little, it was a good experiment and I hope it was beneficial to others as it was to me. I am still awaiting feedback from one particular individual in the San Diego area :poke: I hope he sees this...
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

I'd just like to chime in quickly; I also had the tour whistle, and I love it. I don't think it's just an excellent whistle for the money, I think it is a great whistle. My family liked the sound of the whistle from the beginning, thought it sounded great....not like usual, I guess, although I'm trying hard not to be offended by that. I'm comparing it to Sindts and Humphrey's, which I also love, but this whistle just suits me fine, and I think Ian has a very worthy offering. Well worth your consideration.

Adrian
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'll second Adrian above - I had the tour whistle and ended up trading a flute for a new one (thanks Eric). It is now my main whistle. Nice sound, great tuning, and REALLY beautiful!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
flynnieous

Post by flynnieous »

Impempe wrote: I am still awaiting feedback from one particular individual in the San Diego area :poke: I hope he sees this...
I believe I was next on the list after that gentleman. I haven't seen the whistle yet, though.
Matt Flynn
Chicago, IL
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

There have been some post-related kerfuffles ... but I've got the tour whistle today!

Interesting whistle to say the least. I'm deliberately writing with first impressions, and having not re-read the other comments, so as not to be influenced. Then I'm going to read the thread and see whether other people agree.

Firstly, because of aforesaid post kerfuffles, it came direct from Ian. That man sure knows how to pack a whistle! :thumbsup: No dent in the packaging and it's arrived safely. It's beautiful to look at. I mean, really beautiful. Really sleek looks, and has a great feel when you pick it up. If it was mine and I didn't have to send it on, I'd take the label off and have it looking really sleek and sexy.

On first impressions, it plays very well indeed. Very smooth, plenty of chiff at the bottom end, a smooth transition to the upper octave and nice, clean second octave. The breath requirements seem to vary hugely between octaves - much more breath required in the second octave. I mean, obviously, it's normal to require more, but this requires a lot more. And yet, somehow,the voicing is such that it doesn't come across as all that much louder in the second octave. It just sounds sweet. And it's not as if the second octave requires more air than second octaves of other decent whistles - it's just that the bottom octave requires so little. No problem controlling the bottom notes though, which sound solid every time.

This whistle manages a trick that I've mentioned already to Ian. I don't quite get how he's done this. When I opened the pack, the whistle was stone cold. I played it straight away, and then kept playing it until it warmed up. The tone got warmer, but the pitch just didn't go up. It stayed constant. How is that done?

So far, I'm impressed. I'll be taking it out soon to my local sesh, and we'll see how it competes with them pesky banjos 'n' all.