tamlyn

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
aligeeee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

tamlyn

Post by aligeeee »

i heard a band of this name in galway & bought a cassette of the same name (15ish years ago) anyone got any info about them please :-?
Kypfer

Re: tamlyn

Post by Kypfer »

If you use - tamlyn band - as your search parameters in Google you'll find a MySpace page and some other stuff

If you've still got the cassette there might be some band member names on the inlay. If they've stayed in the business, under a different identity, you might ind something from that
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
JGrant-Skerries
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JGrant-Skerries »

Hi,

Not Tamalin, by any chance? Just that the timing is about right. A band comprised mainly of McSherrys from Belfast.

Jim
aligeeee

Post by aligeeee »

thanks for replying - however neither of these suggestions are correct - i have already exhausted the internet for an answer - the band were all male 3 or 4 piece when i saw them & certainly traditional & non-electrifed however one played the guitar which was unusual - hopefully someone else may know - the pub by the way was the mary long i think - mins you i was in their allday/night?
maracirac
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maracirac »

could be this band...?

Tamalin is a family-based band from west Belfast who originally began playing Irish traditional music in the early 1980s under the name The McSherrys. Toward the end of the 1980s they were joined by long term friend Kevin Dorris on bouzouki and subsequently changed the name of the group to Tamalin.

In the early 1990s the band became close friends with legendary drummer and percussionist Dave Early who had settled in Belfast and was playing with Mary Black. When not touring with Mary, Dave worked closely with Tamalin playing concerts and experimenting in the studio. An album was shaping and in July 1997 Rhythm and Rhyme was released on the Grapvine label.

In October 1996 Dave Early died in a car accident outside Dublin and never saw the release of the band's debut album. John had a parallel career for many years, being a member of Donal Lunny's Coolfin as well as co-founding the band Lúnasa along with Michael McGoldrick.

[edit] MembersTina McSherry: Flute, vocals.
John McSherry: Uilleann pipes, whistles.
Joanne McSherry: Fiddle.
Paul McSherry: Guitar
Kevin Dorris: Bouzouki.

marin
aligeeee

Post by aligeeee »

thanx 4 the info but still not correct - the name was definitely tamlyn
atnnn

Post by atnnn »

Could this be it?

http://web.archive.org/web/200307261735 ... cband.com/
TamLyn was one of the most sought-after bands on the California Irish music scene

Christa Burch vocals, bodhrán
Cathy Alonzo fiddle, viola, mandolin
Lyn Davies guitars
James Hamilton flutes, whistles
Nathan Armstrong flutes, whistles, bodhrán
Mark Framer electric bass
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I don't think so. Christa Burch is a good friend of mine, and I don't think they were around as a group 15 years ago, nor were they ever in Galway.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
aligeeee

Post by aligeeee »

no sorry not these either - i dont think these were in any way a well known band more a group of enthusiasts but i definitely did buy a cassette they had made cant remember the label though thanks for trying