Wierd side-blown whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sbfluter

Wierd side-blown whistle

Post by sbfluter »

Someone gave me this side-blown whistle. It's a vile thing. It tastes like chewing on aluminum foil and it's in the key of somewhere between B and C. It says Western Flute Company S.F. Cal near the top. Has anyone seen anything like this?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Wierd side-blown whistle

Post by Jayhawk »

Looks like a fife, maybe high pitch, with a cheater on it. Flutes in the past sometimes had those added on. Can you remove the cheater and play it like a fife or is it buily onto the body?

Eric
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Fairly common item. Search here and Google for "Melody Flute" for information on another company's version. They were instruments provided to school music programs for basic learning instruments—analogous to Tonettes or Flutophones . Not known for great musical potential or intonation, but offered a starter experience. They come up on eBay with some regularity.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I would caution you to test the cheater with one of those household lead-paint testing kits. Those cheaters are often lead or base metals with high lead content.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

But the OP said the cheater tasted terrible...not sweet like those lovely lead paint chips we all snacked on as children. :-P
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Definitely aluminum and brass. The thing you blow on doesn't come off. I didn't think it was any kind of rare item. I just had never seen anything like it before. It actually sounds kinda sweet.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird