New maker - Holifield

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

New maker - Holifield

Post by Mikethebook »

Yet another maker joins the market http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Holifield-whi ... 4d2c19c761. The whistle looks interesting and the price is very low. Anyone tempted to try it?
olly498

Re: New maker - Holifield

Post by olly498 »

Very tempted!
GoldTop

Post by GoldTop »

Looks good.
olly498

Post by olly498 »

Caved in to temptation! Will tell you what I think when it arrives :)
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Look forward to getting a review of it!
seanpmoran
Tell us something.: I find it hard to believe too, but I have been playing the tin whistle for 52 years. My late father taught me when I was 6 years old. My favourite whistles are by Steve Harper and Hans Bracker.

Post by seanpmoran »

That looks great!

The mouthpiece is strongly reminiscent of a Harper Classic.

Even though I don't really need another D, I'm strongly tempted to buy one. Let us know what you think, Olly.

Seán in Tipperary
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

I spotted this last night. Almost pulled the plug on it myself. Be very interested to know how it plays.
olly498

Post by olly498 »

The seller messaged me straight away saying he's posting it off on Monday, I'm in the UK same as him so it shouldn't be too long at all :)
Watch this space.
olly498

Post by olly498 »

It arrived this morning! I'm midway through an essay at the moment but I'll endeavour to get some feedback on it up here soon. First impressions are extremely good though :D
olly498

Post by olly498 »

Due to me being majorly unorganised, an excellent procrastinator and oblivious to the amount of work I had to do, I've had an extremely busy week, five essays down, one more to go and just in time as I'm off to Dublin tonight, won't be able to review the whistle till I'm back. Sorry guys!
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

I messaged this maker, and apparently he's busy in workshop, so more whistles from him will be appearing on Ebay shortly.

Just thought I'd mention that :)
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

Norman Holifield, as it turned out, is as good as a neighbour of mine. ( About a 45min drive away. ) So, after exchanging emails, off I did trot...Ok...I got "The Wife" to drive me...to visit the man himself on Wednesday night :)

Photos or it never happened! I hear you cry...

Image Image
Norman Holifield / Whistle bits 'n' pieces
Image Image
A big machine thingy / Norman using the big machine thingy

All the esoteric machinations of the big machine thingy pictured above were eagerly explained to me by Norman. Smiling, I nodded in complete incomprehension, not having the heart to admit that when it comes to DIY, I can barely wire a plug myself :boggle:

Technical stuff aside, I am now the proud owner of a Holifield high D whistle. ( same as the one on Ebay ) I am impressed with this whistle. So much so in fact, that I am getting Norman ( Did I mention he's a lovely man? ) to make me a tunable one also.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Yes, photos or it never happened. Nice photos. I'm not a whistlemaker but I love to see the workshops. :thumbsup:

Is Norman Holified a member here on C&F? Is there any whistle review forthcoming?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ScotsJim wrote:Norman Holifield, as it turned out, is as good as a neighbour of mine.
It's always a treat when you can "meet your maker".
ScotsJim wrote:A big machine thingy
:lol: :lol: :lol: The big green and white machine thingy behind Norman Holifield in the upper left photo is a machine lathe with variable speed drive and digital readouts (DRO). I happen to have and employ a similar lathe but without the bells and whistles. I do not see any evidence of stepper motors on the lathe for computer control.

The second big machine thingy is a milling machine and that one appears to operate under computer control as evidenced by the photo in the lower right. Looks like one of the machines sold by Tormach here in the States. That is some heavy duty weaponry. I am experiencing milling machine envy.
ytliek wrote:I'm not a whistlemaker but I love to see the workshops.
I am a whistlemaker and I also enjoy seeing the workshops. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Enjoy your whistle(s).

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ScotsJim

Post by ScotsJim »

ytliek wrote:Is Norman Holified a member here on C&F? Is there any whistle review forthcoming?
He told me he'd be signing up to C&F. I told him your were all a fine upstanding bunch, despite being doubtful about any forum that'll have me as a member :wink:

As for a review... :o I am unaccustomed to such, and not up to speed on the lingo to use. Suffice to say, it's on a par as regards volume with my recently acquired Syn high D. Has about the same air requirement as a Clarke's original D. Has a sweet tone but still maintains a nice chiff.

Here's a sound file of a tune played on my Holifield that I was messing about with today ;

https://app.box.com/s/jupyyk3s21vty19dwbld7su7f0a2l3rl