A good sheet music source for whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LMGrimsley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A good sheet music source for whistles?

Post by LMGrimsley »

I have been trying to find a good source for printable sheet music for my whistles in D. Can anyone share their sources? I'm hoping for free, but wouldn't mind paying for some, as well. I am, of course, looking for music from Hobbit and LOTR, Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter, and music from Titanic, among others. I read sheet music (or rather, I am re-learning to read it!), and can't use tablature. Makes my eyes cross! :boggle:

I tried 'searching' for answers to this request- but it brings up so many results! When I tried going through them, the pictures don't load, and the links are all too old to work any more... sigh. Yes, I know this has probably been asked many times- but I have to ask it again! This is a topic that should maybe have a sticky, for the newbies that come 'round...

Thanks!
Lisa
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons- for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Tommy

Re: A good sheet music source for whistles?

Post by Tommy »

LMGrimsley wrote: I read sheet music (or rather, I am re-learning to read it!), and can't use tablature. Makes my eyes cross! :boggle:

Thanks!
Lisa
Go here http://www.tinwhistler.com/ and click on the tunes. It may not have the music you are looking for. But it is good for learning, the music is printable and you can here it played there.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

This is not sheet music but she shows you how to play that stuff you're interested in. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCAhRi6NPJx2SG4QBWm1zfA
Blower
Tell us something.: Whistling for 8 years after 40 year break from oboe, not enough puff for that anymore. Play gigs, sessions and for own amusement, though not cat's.

Post by Blower »

Google Images. Type in the tune name and hey presto.
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

Titanic related Irish Tunes:

John Ryan's Polka (the one where Jack and Rose are dancing in third class)
http://thesession.org/tunes/441

Blarney Pilgrim (see above)
http://thesession.org/tunes/5

The Kesh (Rose downing a pint and also doing her weird ballerina thingy)
http://thesession.org/tunes/55
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

Here is a fantastic source of printable sheet music for traditional celtic tunes (mostly Irish) and it's free: http://home.comcast.net/~saustin98/lark/ They even have chords written in so you can be accompanied by guitar.
Poohze

Post by Poohze »

Flywhistler wrote:Here is a fantastic source of printable sheet music for traditional celtic tunes (mostly Irish) and it's free: http://home.comcast.net/~saustin98/lark/ They even have chords written in so you can be accompanied by guitar.
Flywhistler, Your Blood is Worth Bottling!!! (as we say here in Oz)

Firstly, because that's a great site that I didn't know about. Secondly, and even more importantly, because they have a link to a site with sheets for tunes from Brittany, Galicia and Asturias! Cooooooool Stuff!!! Thanks!!! :D :D :D

Cheers

Marc E
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)

-Walt Whitman
chas

Post by chas »

This is the most complete I've found: http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefind . I think it searches many tune sites.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Um... have you tried the tunes section at thesession.org ?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I am, of course, looking for music from Hobbit and LOTR, Hedwig's Theme from Harry Potter, and music from Titanic, among others.
Is it just me or didn't the OP state clear enough what she was looking for?
My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Sorry for posting YouTube videos for that stuff. Have a nice day. :D
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Sorry for posting YouTube videos for that stuff. Have a nice day. :D
Those seemed to be among the few closest to the spirit of the OP's request, as far as I read it. She didn't seem to be looking for traditional stuff though.

I suppose it's a bit like some posters looking for a particular type of whistle, they post a request with a fairly narrowly wish list and by the time the thread is finished they have been recommended just about every whistle available.
My brain hurts

LMGrimsley

Post by LMGrimsley »

Thanks everyone! I did list some specific music I was looking for, but I did say I was interested in other songs, too- so any music link is appreciated! I have been bookmarking like mad- keep 'em coming!!! Any and all sheet music links appreciated!

Chas- that trillian link, I'm having trouble getting the music to come up... is there a trick to it? I've tried several formats. And, by the way, they had 'Concerning Hobbits'! I just can't seem to open or view it.

p51baby- thanks for identifying those songs for me, from the movie- I never would have figured that out on my own!

Thanks... and more sources, please! Thank you, sir, may I have another!
Lisa
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons- for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

She didn't seem to be looking for traditional stuff though.
There are various traditions and variations within traditions.
chas

Post by chas »

LMGrimsley wrote: Chas- that trillian link, I'm having trouble getting the music to come up... is there a trick to it? I've tried several formats. And, by the way, they had 'Concerning Hobbits'! I just can't seem to open or view it.
gif and pdf display as pictures; midi plays an electronically generated sound version, which is good if there are several versions and you're looking for one in particular.

Edit: There are some weird ones of "Concerning Hobbits" aren't there? Some are parts of scores, some obviously contain things that aren't standard abc. But I found that #22 (and some others labeled "full version") display okay at least for me. Another option is to get the abc version and copy and paste it into the Tune-o-tron.

Cheers,
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.