Repadding flute keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Caspermilktoast
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Repadding flute keys

Post by Caspermilktoast »

Hello,

I recently bought an 8 key Murray. The flute plays great but the b flat pad has torn in half and is stuck on the hole. The lower C keys work, but need new pads as well, they don't seat reliably.I think I can do the job myself but m not sure what to use. The pads seem to be made of some sort of foam rubber, not like the pads on my other flutes.

I have been reading past posts on the subject and also read McGees article. I don't think these are clarinet pads and I was wondering if someone knows what Sam Murray uses and or if clarinet pads can be made to work.

Thanks!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
accordionstu

Re: Repadding flute keys

Post by accordionstu »

Not sure what Sam Murray uses but I have re padded flutes and piccolo's with the tan clarinet pads and never had any problems.
never seen a foam pad but have used clear silicone sealant when i was stuck once.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I use synthetic felt and hot glue - works well for me! You fill the cup with hot glue and place the circular pad on it and put it back on the flute while the hot glue is still warm. Seems to form-fit quite well and is very easy to remove (in case you screw it up the first time). Very non-traditional and really cheap, but I've used this technique on everything from antiques to my one true love, a John Gallagher Pratten.

Pat

[EDIT] @Bob (below): What I'm calling "synthetic felt" is the same stuff you're calling "closed cell" below, I'm pretty sure. I do the same thing you do, but use hot glue.
Last edited by plunk111 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I often use closed cell sheet for crafts, by Darice. It comes in various colors, and thicknesses. I generally stick to fairly conservative colors like beige or light brown :) The thicknesses can be bought in various gauges. . .2,3,4, 5 mm and maybe thicker.. I fit a length of hobby tubing into the cup of the key that will just barely fit, or possibly just larger. I use wet n dry sandpaper to dress an edge onto one end of the tube, then press and rotate the tubing into the foam on a hard surface. Sometimes I use a urethane mallet to tap it through the foam and get a clean circle. (A telephone book (remember those?) would do as well). You can use sealing wax, shellac, or contact cement to fasten the circle to the cup. Barge cement is excellent. In a little while the foam conforms to the pad seat and makes an excellent seal (actually this has been suggested by Hammy Hamilton!). You can buy the foam at Michael's, or Joanne's Fabric, or I suppose Hobby Lobby.
G'luck

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Caspermilktoast

Thanks all for the tips, I will try it this weekend.

Thanks!
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I've used neoprene or closed-cell foam on my Murray's pads, and stuck it on with shellac.

I thought Rod Cameron had a basic flute-repair document floating around out there somewhere, but I didn't come across it. I did find a helpful little bit from Terry McGee, though. http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/repad.html

He tells you how to do a much neater job than mine turned out to be! But the keys work and don't leak, and that's the most important thing.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Caspermilktoast

I went to Jo-anns and picked up the foam. I wanted to get sealing wax but they did not have it. I ended up using hot glue.

The pad does not look the greatest but it works great now! In the future I want to try doing a better job with clarinet pads and wax, but the foam and hot glue did the trick.
Thank you all for the help.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

You can get premium carded leather clarinet pads from Farrees, size the pad to just under the cup diameter, always use shellac to attach pads, not hot melt. Sometimes it is necassary to take the pad apart and shave the felt some to get thinner pad.
I have had to clean all kinds of junk out of key cups over the years! Then there is the brilliant idea of filling the key cups with CA glue, and using foam, like a couple of well known makers do, try digging that stuff out when installing purse pads... :swear:

Here is the link to leather pads:
http://www.ferreestools.com/pads/pads-clarinet.html
B32 are tan/brown
B33 are white

http://www.ferreestools.com/woodwindtoo ... plies.html
G65 G66 are the shellac sticks
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

@Jon - hot glue works great and is very clean (and easy) to remove. Why are you against it? Just curious as I'm gonna keep using it...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

plunk111 wrote:@Jon - hot glue works great and is very clean (and easy) to remove. Why are you against it? Just curious as I'm gonna keep using it...

Pat
Don't mind me, I am a purist! :puppyeyes:
I guess it would work, I like the shellac as you can float the pad in position, by heating up the key cup, but I guess the same is true with hot melt...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

@ Jon. I have been putting off repadding a flute for a couple of years but, in preparation, had in mind an old post of yours viewtopic.php?p=632776#p632776 Was the bit about caulk a joke ?

The white 'decorators caulk' they sell in the UK looks like it might work for fixing closed cell foam if allowed to set for a while the way one might do with silicone sealant.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

david_h wrote:@ Jon. I have been putting off repadding a flute for a couple of years but, in preparation, had in mind an old post of yours viewtopic.php?p=632776#p632776 Was the bit about caulk a joke ?

The white 'decorators caulk' they sell in the UK looks like it might work for fixing closed cell foam if allowed to set for a while the way one might do with silicone sealant.
That would be silicone caulk not latex. That was the craz for a while, using silicone as the pad itself, by forming it to the key seat, with some sort of release... If you just want backing for foam, that would work.
Michael Flatley

Jon
david_h

Post by david_h »

Thanks Jon. The flute in question has just such silicone pads.

The white stuff I have is cheaper than the sort that says silicone on thetube and smells better in use than that or latex compounds. But I guess it may have silicone or latex in it. I will give it a try it.

My part used tube of silicone seem to have become a rubbery lump whilst I have been thinking about using it for the pads.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

david_h wrote:Thanks Jon. The flute in question has just such silicone pads.

The white stuff I have is cheaper than the sort that says silicone on thetube and smells better in use than that or latex compounds. But I guess it may have silicone or latex in it. I will give it a try it.

My part used tube of silicone seem to have become a rubbery lump whilst I have been thinking about using it for the pads.
The stuff gets wonky when it is old like that. You can shape silicone using saliva, just spit on your finger and it will glide over the surface of the silicone. I would shape an let it set up tell it is gummy then lightly press into the seat. I guess something like plastic film could be put on the seat to keep it from sticking...
The other option is hand sewing purse pads form goat skin... :really:
Michael Flatley

Jon
david_h

Post by david_h »

Jon C. wrote: The other option is hand sewing purse pads form goat skin... :really:
My thought was to go the closed-cell foam route, as I already have some, but to use the caulk or silicone as an adhesive that could be wedge shaped if needed. The existing silcone pads need a dusting of french chalk now and again when they stick - and the open-standing ones ones on the foot don't seal.

Having done this talking I must get on and do it !