Copeland whistle for sale ebay

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glenndublin
antispam: No

Copeland whistle for sale ebay

Post by glenndublin »

High D Copeland from Windweavers up on Ebay, for anyone interested.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-COPELAND-Ir ... RTM1562569
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Copeland whistle for sale ebay

Post by MTGuru »

Moved here from the Used Instruments Exchange, where no 3rd party sales are allowed, even the maker. I believe this is a new instrument directly from Mr. Copeland.

- Mod
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
glenndublin

Post by glenndublin »

sorry about that. I didn't realise that was a problem.
Last edited by glenndublin on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glenndublin

Post by glenndublin »

Wow...its gone.....
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Nice to to know the maker of a fine crafted instrument is receiving his due from a new instrument that a used one might receive. :thumbsup:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

$800 is ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't pay that much even if i was finacially independent.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Tommy wrote:Nice to to know the maker of a fine crafted instrument is receiving his due from a new instrument that a used one might receive. :thumbsup:
Yes, nice to see support for the original whistlemakers, rather than the used secondary market profiteers. I hope the new owner enjoys the whistle.

Value... new vs. used... hmmm... what ever the market will bring.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:$800 is ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't pay that much even if i was finacially independent.
Have you ever spent serious time with a Copeland whistle?

For some players nothing else is going to do the same job, nothing else is comparable. They are willing to pay for that. Demand for these whistles is greater than the supply. So it goes.

Copelands are certainly not the whistle for everybody but they do eat most other whistles for breakfast. :)

Cheers for Michael Copeland.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Feadoggie wrote:
Lars Larry Mór Mott wrote:$800 is ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't pay that much even if i was finacially independent.
Have you ever spent some serious time with a Copeland whistle?

They are certainly not the whistle for everybody but they do eat most other whistles for breakfast. :)

Cheers for Michael Copeland.

Feadoggie
Not serious time, no.. or well yes, pretty serious although only about 10 minutes borrowing one at a session. Can't say that i found it any better than the Löfgren, Burke, Sindt or the Roy McManus i already own (and bought for realistic prices) then again, to each their own i guess.:)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Whenever someone comments that pricing for something that is really well made is "ridiculous" or the like, I often wonder what they think is a fair hourly wage for a master craftsman? Minimum wage? $20 an hour? $30? To me, THAT is ridiculous.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I don't know, folks, I kind of have to agree with this. If you're a diehard Copeland fan, then this is for you, but to me the appeal of a D whistle is that you can get a really good one for less than 300 dollars. Sure, Copeland's whistles are highly sought after for good reason, but I don't think they necessarily top any of the other popular whistles out there consistently- I've played many mediocre Copelands and one great one. I think at this point you're really paying for the name and status that they've acquired at this point. Just my 2p.

Edit: I do think the word choice of "ridiculous" isn't great, as Loren said. He is a master craftsman, and there are certainly people out there that will pay $800 to receive one of his works. I'm just expressing doubt that one could get $600 more musically out of a Copeland than another whistle by a competent maker. I don't dispute that people might get that $600 in personal satisfaction.
Last edited by MadmanWithaWhistle on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:
I don't know, folks, I kind of have to agree with this. If you're a diehard Copeland fan, then this is for you, but to me the appeal of a D whistle is that you can get a really good one for less than 300 dollars. Sure, Copeland's whistles are highly sought after for good reason, but I don't think they necessarily top any of the other popular whistles out there consistently- I've played many mediocre Copelands and one great one. I think at this point you're really paying for the name and status that they've acquired at this point. Just my 2p.
Even though I have some expensive whistles in my collection, the real appeal to me is that you can get one for a fiver that is as good as any whistle there is.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

The questions of what it's worth to a given individual, what will the market bear, what are the merits of cheap vs. expensive whistles, etc. have been asked and answered 100's of times on these forums. I am genuinely interested in hearing what people feel is a fair hourly wage for a master craftsman. Not any one in particular, just in general.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Loren wrote:The questions of what it's worth to a given individual, what will the market bear, what are the merits of cheap vs. expensive whistles, etc. have been asked and answered 100's of times on these forums. I am genuinely interested in hearing what people feel is a fair hourly wage for a master craftsman. Not any one in particular, just in general.
Do you mean in a perfect world? In a just world? A realistic one? Obviously if one has achieved a remarkable level of skill at a craft, they should be well rewarded for it, but it just doesn't work that way. There's a person down the road from me who's a master blacksmith and studied under incredible talent across the world. 90% of his income comes from day labor in people's yards because very few people want, need or can afford intricate art pieces, wrought-iron accoutrements, and old-fashioned locks. I'd love to see him and everyone else as good as he is get $50 an hour, but that's like asking how high people should be able to go if they could fly.

/rant.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

My question has nothing to do with perfect worlds, I'm simply asking what people think is a fair and reasonable wage for a master craftsman. Sounds like $50 an hour is what you feel a Master Craftsman is worth, is that correct?

Regarding what your blacksmith neighbor earns: If he is truly a master craftsman he could make $100,000. a year or more a year at it, if he really wanted to, but that's a separate discussion.