MHz for an LP flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

MHz for an LP flute?

Post by keithsandra »

What MHz would my antique German/Austrian flute be playing at? It's stamped, LP.

Thanks and best wishes,

Keith.

[Edit: Mz -> MHz. - Mod]
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Mz for an LP flute?

Post by jemtheflute »

Most likely "diapason normal", A=435Hz, but might be 432 or even lower. Bear in mind that, with a tuning slide, just like contemporary English or other nationality flutes, it will have c 3cm/over a tone's worth of tunability and that the design reference pitch will not be with the slide fully closed - that's just the sharpest it can reach.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MTGuru

Re: MHz for an LP flute?

Post by MTGuru »

Of course, a 1 MHz flute is definitely high pitch. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

A flute pitched in MHz would more commonly be called a radio transmitter, likely made in the 20th century. :wink: Herz (Hz) will get you in the audible range.
Terry McGee has some info on historical pitch (at least for English flutes): http://mcgee-flutes.com/eng_pitch.html
But yes, for a German/Austrian flute, A=435 is probable...unless 'LP' stands for 'Low Pitch' (which would be odd on an instrument of Germanic provenance).
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tintin wrote:A flute pitched in MHz would more commonly be called a radio transmitter
:-) Though, interestingly, there is some overlap. For example, 20 kHz is within the hearing range of some people, but it's also VLF (very low frequency) in the radio spectrum - used for navigation services and underwater communication. I have a radio that goes that low, but the selection of Top 40 stations down there is really crummy.

Also, of course, what's vibrating matters - physical pressure waves in air or an electromagnetic field. If your flute is producing 20 kHz harmonics, it's still not a VLF radio (and I remember this confused me for a long time).

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Having just finished a Biography of Nikola Tesla, I"m happy to report he was early on investigating ELF (Extremely Low Frequency electromagnetic waves) and prophesied that the Earth had resonances of 6, 18, and 30 Hz. It was in the 1960's researchers were able to refine this to a measure of 8, 14, and 20 Hz.
Along with his electromagnetic researches, he studied what would be today called Statics and Materials by studying the sonic resonances of structures. He had a series of run-ins with the NYPD when he nearly collapsed the building his Lab was in and terrifying the neighborhood that earthquakes were occurring when he studied the resonant frequency of structures with mechanical oscillators. Always the showman, he told the press he could bring down the newly constructed Brooklyn Bridge with a portable device that could fit in his pocket within a matter of hours of being employed. This, as well as the generation of chain and ball lightning up and down the streets of his lab late at night helped precipitate his moving out to Colorado Springs.
Be careful when you 'honk' the D on that LP flute! :D
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Actually, if you play your flute in or near a plasma, you definitely can generate radio waves with your flute. For example, acoustically modulating a carbon arc or an oxyacetylene flame. Don't ask me how I know this. :o

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm guessing that Homeland Security just opened a file on you...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Tintin wrote:....for a German/Austrian flute, A=435 is probable...unless 'LP' stands for 'Low Pitch' (which would be odd on an instrument of Germanic provenance).
No. Despite being English language abbreviations, "LP" and "HP" stamps are by no means unusual on later German/Czech/Austrian instruments. However, the precise import of such stamps should not be assumed. High or low relative to what? Bear in mind that the Markneukirchen/Graslitz makers were exporting instruments all over, including GB and especially the US. The majority of "LP" stamps do mean diapason normal A=432-5Hz, but sometimes they can mean modern Concert Pitch - low in relation to English high pitch - you need to check sounding lengths to be sure which. Similarly "HP" most often refers to English high pitch, A=450+, but conceivably it might signify modern CP, high in relation to diapason normal.......
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

An Seanduine said: "Be careful when you 'honk' the D on that LP flute!"

Thank you very much. But too little too late. I am now missing six finger prints and my nose hairs.

I have a terrible cough and talk in a high pitched whistle ...

What is more, I think my gonads have retracted.

K.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Steve Bliven wrote:I'm guessing that Homeland Security just opened a file on you...
At the very least, I suspect that the physics department at Stony Brook University may still be angry at me. It turns out that sensitive lab instrumentation and other experiments in progress don't like being bombarded with electromagnetic garbage by a mad intern. Who knew? :twisted:

Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:At the very least, I suspect that the physics department at Stony Brook University may still be angry at me.
Plasma speaker? Or would that be a plasma microphone?
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Plasma speaker?
Yes, exactly right. :)

keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Thank you all!

Best wishes,

K.