tunable/moveable reed seat

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

tunable/moveable reed seat

Post by pancelticpiper »

This is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBLsfLh7w0A

Are any uilleann makers doing the same?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PCL

Re: tunable/moveable reed seat

Post by PCL »

No need for it. Fiddles have tuning pegs.

Cheers, P.
(Wooff Bb)
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Hmm. Curious how the designer deals with trading off slop and stability. Seems to me every time this chanter got a tap the reed would move.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

pancelticpiper wrote:Are any uilleann makers doing the same?
My Whitmer chanter has a straight-bore reed seat at 3/16", which fits hobby-tube staples so the height of the reed is easily adjustable.

From Nick's website.
PJ
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

The reed seat question (cylindrical vs. conical) has been discussed on the "other forum," here. The consensus there seems to be that Whitmer's method is probably fine if the chanter was designed that way, but retrofitting a tubular reed seat to a conically-seated chanter is inadvisable.

Cheers,
Mick
KJM

Post by KJM »

Calum wrote:Hmm. Curious how the designer deals with trading off slop and stability. Seems to me every time this chanter got a tap the reed would move.
The reed tube is threaded (like a worm gear) and in contact with the adjustment gears so as long as everything is stable structurally and in good contact with each other (and the adjustment knob has enough resistance), it seems to me that the amount of reed movement would be negligible. A pin to lock the adjustment knob would be even better.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I designed a gizmo that worked like the end of a flute head joint where you twist the end cap and the cork moves in and out.
In my case I turned the upper mount of the chanter and the reed socket moves in and out.
While it looked good on paper, I never made one.
One day...

Tommy
DjUntzUntz

Post by DjUntzUntz »

I am not sure If it is the same but Andreas Rogge makes it possible to have a tuning pin in the chanter. With the pin you can raise or lower the reed, tuning it. If you want I can make a picture of it.
irishmuse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by irishmuse »

Try the Arizona Uillean Pipers Society website where Jim Burke describes a simple way of achieving the same objective in his reedmaking video
http://www.azuilleann.org/resources.htm
He does say he glues a tube into the chanter so you would have to be bold or really want to be able to make the adjustments the modification would offer?
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

The good thing about Andreas´ tuning pin: You can adjust your tuning while playing and don´t have to stop!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

PJ wrote:
My Whitmer chanter has a straight-bore reed seat at 3/16", which fits hobby-tube staples so the height of the reed is easily adjustable.
Yes but you have to stop playing and remove the chanter from the stock to adjust it. This gizmo means that you could hold a note played by the top hand only (say, B or G) and adjust the reed height while the chanter continues sounding to fine-tune the chanter to another instrument or an electronic tuner.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

pancelticpiper wrote:Yes but you have to stop playing and remove the chanter from the stock to adjust it. This gizmo means that you could hold a note played by the top hand only (say, B or G) and adjust the reed height while the chanter continues sounding to fine-tune the chanter to another instrument or an electronic tuner.
IMO one handed notes are rarely true, so there's no real advantage in the gizmo.

Besides, what if it gizmo malfunctioned in the middle of a slow air? It would sound like a clown's slide whistle! :tomato:
PJ