American Civil War flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fred.hocker
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

American Civil War flutes

Post by fred.hocker »

I am collecting information on surviving flutes with markings tying them to specific units in the Civil War. Most of the examples I have seen so far are either four- or eight-key flutes in concert pitch (rather than Bb band flutes) in the American style. I own two such, and have seen two others. My two are both four-key, block-mounted cocus flutes with german silver keys and rings, marked Oliver Ditson & Co. The dimensions, style, blocks and keys all look exactly like late production Firth, Pond & Co (which Ditson bought just after the war). The only difference between the two is that one has a tuning barrel and the other does not. The one with barrel is marked 2 N.H. ART. (2nd New Hampshire Heavy Artillery, formed in November 1863), the one without 7 Me. (7th Maine Infantry, formed in August 1861). The other two I have seen are another American style with saltspoon keys, similar to pre-war Peloubets and marked 7 VT INF (7th Vermont Infantry; it was posted here for sale a couple of years ago) and a German-style eight-key with pin mounts marked F 8 ME (Company F, 8th Maine Infantry). For three of the flutes (all but the /th Vt example) I have been able to track down the likely original owners. In two cases, (2nd New Hampshire Artillery and Co F 8th Maine) the company only had two musicians on their enlistment rolls, while the 7th Maine had a full regimental band. So far, I think it is interesting that the examples I have seen are all from New England regiments, and that Oliver Ditson seems to have been a supplier of note, although Ditson clearly was not the manufacturer. Hardly surprising, as he was one of the largest, if not the largest, music dealers in New England, but the center of flute manufacturing was in New York.

I am working on a research project on these flutes, their makers and the musicians who played them. I would be interested in hearing from others who might have marked flutes (not fifes) of this period. I would like to know if these types of flutes were used in military music outside of New England, and who might have supplied other units. I would be especially interested in knowing if similar instruments survive from any Confederate units.

Thanks for any help!

Fred Hocker
Feadoggie

Re: American Civil War flutes

Post by Feadoggie »

fred.hocker wrote:I am working on a research project on these flutes, their makers and the musicians who played them. I would be interested in hearing from others who might have marked flutes (not fifes) of this period. I would like to know if these types of flutes were used in military music outside of New England, and who might have supplied other units. I would be especially interested in knowing if similar instruments survive from any Confederate units.
I don't know if you have considered this angle of attack yet but there are long established purveyors of vintage flutes around the country. They might be a good resource to start with. One such vendor, of which I am familiar, is Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia. Vintage Instruments has had flutes as part of its trade since its inception in the early 1970's. History is a large part of what these businesses deal with. They have certainly seen most of the types of flutes from that period which remain, probably restored them too. They've likely done the leg work to document their origins, identify various makers and where they worked. And I would guess they have a good idea of how the flutes were used as well. And if they don't, they would likely know of collectors that would. I am not sure how you would go about making your intriductions to them but I would expect they, and other similar dealers, could prove to be a valuable resource in your research.

Down here in Pennsylvania the fife is the wind instrument we associate with the Civil War, especially with the Irish brigades. The fife (and whistle) are used to re-enact camp life around here along with the string bands. Of course much of that practice may be more wishful thinking than historically accurate. Flutes were certainly around at the time. I don't know how many of them may have gone to the war as well.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Anything in the Daton C Miller collection?
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/dcmhtml/dmhome.html
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
fred.hocker

Post by fred.hocker »

As far as I can tell, none of the American flutes in the Miller collection are marked with military associations from the Civil War, but the catalogue may not be sufficiently detailed. I will query the curator.

Thanks for the link to the Vermont flute. It looks very similar to other regimental flutes I have seen, although not identical to the Ditsons I have.

I am already in touch with the dealer network, to keep an eye out for similar items. Three of the four I have seen have been offered by the same military antiques dealer in New York. I also bought a non-military-marked Peloubet from a military dealer many years ago. Vintage instrument dealers do not seem to have these items as often, possibly because they are often student or band grade instruments and sometimes in pretty rough shape.

I am hoping that there might be some C&F readers out there with military flutes in their collections. One of the two that I have is in excellent condition and plays quite well, like a Firth, Pond & Co should. The other is in need of restoration (new pads, cracked tuning barrel, new crown) but the bore and holes are all in good shape and so should work well. If I can figure out how to post images, I will put up a picture or two.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

fred.hocker wrote:I am collecting information on surviving flutes with markings tying them to specific units in the Civil War. [...]

I am working on a research project on these flutes, their makers and the musicians who played them. I would be interested in hearing from others who might have marked flutes (not fifes) of this period. I would like to know if these types of flutes were used in military music outside of New England, and who might have supplied other units. I would be especially interested in knowing if similar instruments survive from any Confederate units.

Thanks for any help!

Fred Hocker
Please forgive if this is already well known to you... But, have you tried contacting either Mark Elrod or Robert Garofalo? Both have been extensively involved in Civil War era music, bands, instruments and the people involved in making music during that era. I am sure both are still alive and active in the Civil War music scene. Either one or both might be able to offer some more specific direction for your research. The later, I believe, is an emeritus prof at the Catholic Univ. in DC.

Regards,
Whistlecollector (who owns no military-marked old flutes :( )
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373