A soprano D that 'sounds like' O'Riordan ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Just cutious...Does such exist? I read Dale mention in the review that Burke sounds like Riordan...but has anyone on the board done the same experiment (particularly on D)? If so, do Burkes sounds like Riordans do? In what extent does it/does it not?

I am getting a Burke soon but not yet a Riordan......especially when the waiting list is for 2 years/more? ! Not that I want a 'substitute', but I've always wanted both whistles and combined with a curiosity I decided to post this silly question.

BTW does anyone know the current price for Riordan Soprano D & how to contact the maker? It seems that it'd take at least 3 years to get the wooden whistle!
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Burke and O'Riordan sound very different. Patrick O makes a head design unlike anyone else's, which renders a very, very pure tone. If you look at Pat's entry under "expensive whistles" I think you'll find his address and phone number. You have to call him, he doesn't do that computer thing at all... When I ordered my concert blackwood D with a C body, the total price was just under $200 with shipping, and that's a steal.
Dave
Tak_the_whistler

Thanks 4 the tips, Dave... Hmm, looks like I've really got to make sure I won't give Pat a 4-o'clock wake up call (with a bit ofweird Japanese & Glaswegian mixed accent)!
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i believe the o'riordan's sound a bit like the burke's and find the latter best
i believe the C o'riordan tullipwood sound like the burke D brass session,i love the sweat and pure tone of the burke,and like the composite even better! have a listen at http://www.tinwhistletunes.com

whatever thickels your fancy!!
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I've been told that mine sound very similar to O'Riordans... but I dare not speak such blasphemy myself. :wink:
There are currently three tunes on Clips & Snips played on one of my later prototypes, and I hope to have at least one tune submitted before the end of this week played on one of my finished production models.
If only there were more hours in a day... I've been frightfully busy lately.
I suppose this post borderlines on being commercial... but maybe not close enough to be in violation of the rules.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
nickt

Post by nickt »

I've never played an O'Riordan (I have one on order), but have heard Joanie Madden play at the Willie Week live, and I can say that it sounded an awful lot like a Rose blackwood (looked like one too).
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I don't think Burkes sound like O'Riordans. The closest thing would be a Silkstone. I like the alloy ones. Silkstones are loud and some O'Riordans are loud, but not as loud as a Seery or a typical Copeland second octave. Still, I think the Silkstone alloy would be a good place to start if you are after the O'Riordan sound.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

No doubt in my mind: a Hoover cpvc. I've played both side-by-side and the Hoover is very close to the O'Riordan (whose sound I love). The O'Riordan is better on the cross-fingered C natural. Most of my performance whistles are O'Riordans and Hoover cpvc's.

Vinny
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I have an O'Riordan set and a Burke brass d. I've also tried a Rose. I thought the Rose was pretty similar in sound to the O'R- they both have a very pure sound. The Burke is very unlike them. I told Raindog his prototype sounded a lot like an O'R based upon an mp3 file. We posted comparisons on the Clips site. (Don't try to link with tinwhistletunes.com. I have to fix that html problem. tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip will get you there. Go to the newspage. (The link below my name goes to the same place.)
Tony

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2003-02-13 18:27 ]</font>
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

So, we have votes for Burke, Silkstone, and Rose sounding most like O'Riordans. Three very different-sounding whistles. OTOH, I don't remember anyone saying that these sounded A LOT like O'Riordans. I love Burke brass, very much like the Silkstone alloy, like Burke AlPro and am not crazy about Rose (the D's in all cases, I love Burke AlPro in other keys).

So, does anyone else want to weigh in? The Burke AlPro, Silkstone, and Rose are all pure-sounding whistles, but the Silkstone has tons of body and the Rose is extremely sweet.

Also, how do O'R wood whistles compare to his aluminum whistles? Could it be that one type sounds more like Silkstone and the other like Rose?

TIA, Charlie
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

A friend of mine recently got a set of O'Riordans. D, C, and G. She was nice enough to let me play them for a week!!!
I have a Burke,Copland,Rose,Dixon,Weasel,Sindt,Bussman. Nothing sounds like an O'Riordan to me, but I have never tried a Silkstone Alloy.
Tak_the_whistler

thanks for the suggestions....

Hmmm...Burke, Silkstone, Hoover.....

That Hoover cpvc was mentioned is interesting to me. I have a brass Hoover D (narrow), but have yet not played his cpvc D's. Might try soon.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

The Hoover cpvc is very different from the brass. It has that lovely pure tone like an O'Riordan but has much more volume than the brass. Puff requirement is low to moderate. Also less wait and lower cost.

Vinny
"Grace . . . It travels outside of Karma."
- Bono -