wondering about humidity and flute playing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

wondering about humidity and flute playing

Post by stiofan »

I've just started playing flute again after a hiatus of about 6 years (though I've been playing low whistle intermittently, and in my other musical life, the cello). Good to see this community alive and well.

I recently acquired a Copley all-wood keyless flute (from the Irish Flute Store) which I'm now breaking in. I live in northern California, where the relative humidity in my house stays between 55–60% this time of the year, which seems to be within the recommended RH range. Here's my query: Do you all find that your flute(s) play better (tone, responsiveness, etc) within a particular humidity level? I'm not sure about the science of this, but just as when a flute plays better following being oiled (if it was somewhat dry before), I'm wondering if the same holds true for playing in an environment where the humidity is say, 65% rather than 45%. Does this make sense to you all, and have you had tangible experience of an optimum RH for playing? Since the relative humidity does make a difference regarding drying out of the wood and the risk of cracking, this other question just occurred to me about RH.

cheers,
stiofan
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: wondering about humidity and flute playing

Post by plunk111 »

I'm pretty sure that RH becomes moot once you start playing and the moisture from your breath humidifies the flute. I do know that mine (a John Gallagher) needs about 10 minutes to get "up to speed". Could be me, but this seems pretty consistent no matter what the outside humidity is.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I think the wooden flutes play a lot better with a 50-60% humidity, the joints will be better fitting, the pads will seal better and most of all the wood cells will swell and become smoother. All in all, you will have a happier flute! :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

Jon, you certainly know best, but I have allergies and am concerned about molds and mustiness and usually like to see my hygrometer reading between 45-55. Only get out humidifiers below 35-40. At what point would you say the RH is too high?
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I haven't noticed humidity making much of a difference in how my flute plays. (Knock on uncracked wood, but I haven't found humidity to be much of an issue at all when it comes to wooden flute care. The only negative effect is that very high humidity can make the flute feel clammy.) I do find the temperature makes a difference. Temps in the upper 60s to mid 70s seem to be the sweet spot.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I believe the OP was asking about PLAYING in varying RHs... I store mine in a humidity-controlled environment at about 55-60%, as I'm sure many of us do. Another subject entirely. He was asking about what happens when you take it out and play it, ergo my original answer.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
libraryman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by libraryman »

I guess you are right Pat and your answer makes sense to me. I would think that worrying about the RH in the room you are going to be playing in might be carrying things a bit far unless conditions are really dry or wet. I mean what are you going to do? Take you hygrometer down to the pub or a friend's house and get a reading before deciding whether to play?
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Yes, kind of miss read the question... I often bring a couple of flutes to the desert, 5% humidity, I take them out play them for a bit then put them back in the humidified container. They play fine under low humidity, just don't leave them out in it! :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Appreciate all of your thoughts and feedback. Pat has a good point about the moisture from your breath naturally humidifying the flute. True, libraryman, I doubt I'd personally be playing in an environment that has a significant enough difference in RH for it to matter. Jon, I guess I'm surprised that your wooden flutes (vs. delrin) do ok in 5% humidity, but I'm glad to hear it's not a problem for you. Thanks again, ya'll.