New subject: SUPER flat Back D.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

New subject: SUPER flat Back D.

Post by ennischanter »

So in my earlier thread when I was talking about my unstable bottom D, I think the actual problem was my reed drying and closing up! And maybe the rush was just adding to the problem.

So, I put the humidifier in my room. Every thing is going well, the humidity is now over 45% and all. The chanter now plays where it wants to, 14 cents south of C#. Everything is pretty much in tune. Except one note. The Back D is WAY out of whack, it is almost sounding a C#.

From what I am reading I think the reed is still too closed and needs to open up, the back D and C# are also very weak. Which I think is caused by leaky sides, which doesn't surprise me, considering the probable state of my beloved reed. :(

I am basically wondering what I should do? Should I wait for it to stabilize, wax the sides? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Edit: I am willing to try to make some reeds, but I need to get some supplies first.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Re: New subject: SUPER flat Back D.

Post by deisman »

If your volume is good your reed prolly does not need opening. If 2nd octave is really easy to achieve and overall sound of pipes is puny than maybe so. I would not mess with the reed unless you know what you are doing. A simple suck test will tell if you have a leak. If you know what you are doing you could pull your reed out and cover the reed lips with the fat flesh of the inside of an index finger knuckle and suck to check for leaks. Do not shut the reed lips by pressing them together or you may split it. Reeds are fragile things so don't do this unless you know what you are doing andhave other reeds as backups.

Reed making is a PIA not for weekend warriors. Come to St. Louis Tionol in April and Jim Wenham can get you started.

Hope you get things sorted out. Hopefully spring will come soon and all our pipes will sing.

Best
I'm on it...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Depending on the circumstances your reed was made in 45% is still pretty dry to some standards. I don't think I have seen the hygrometer in the house go below 50 on very rare occasions. That's an old cottage in West Clare though.

If it's just the back D' though, it could be worth looking if there's a bit of hair, fluff or dust caught in your reed. It does happen in woolly jumper season. A good clean out sometimes makes a reed sound like new.
My brain hurts

Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

When you got the C# chanter did you get any spare reeds from Sam Lawrence

When I got my D narrow bore chanter from Joe Kennedy he supplied be with 5 reed.

You could email Sam for help tips or order a few spare reed. You could see a local pipemaker/reedmaker to get sorted out. Or even better learn the art of reedmaking.

All the best

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Back D and C# are the first notes to react to a leak. Try the "suck test" as deisman suggests. If there is a leak in the sides, then a little nail varnish along the sides should seal it. You might also have a leak in the binding, so make sure that the reed is properly wrapped and that the binding is not loose.
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Wellp, I tried the suck test, and there is an ever so slight of air coming through. I have rubbed some wax on the sides, and it sounds a little better. Still sinking though. The F# is also quite flat.

I think I am just gonna have to put them away, and wait a few days for it to stabilize I guess.

I'll look into buying some reed supplies maybe.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Depending on the circumstances your reed was made in 45% is still pretty dry to some standards. I don't think I have seen the hygrometer in the house go below 50 on very rare occasions. That's an old cottage in West Clare though.

If it's just the back D' though, it could be worth looking if there's a bit of hair, fluff or dust caught in your reed. It does happen in woolly jumper season. A good clean out sometimes makes a reed sound like new.
Thankfully now, the humidity is now staying above 50%.

When looking at the reed, I notices the reed lips were slightly blackened with some dust I think.

pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

Check to see if the D hole didn't move down a bit. That's been my problem lately.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
ennischanter

Post by ennischanter »

Edit, now I think I have to make or get a new reed, because mine closed down quite a bit. :(

That or I could maybe leave them in the case for about a week.

This may be a stupid question, but, we don't have any neatsfoot oil or kerosene, but we do have some WD 40, going back looking at Pat Sky's thread. Considering how desperate I am at this point, do you guys think I should try rubbing some of this stuff in? Or is it not worth the risk?

deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

I would never in a million years do that. Would kill a reed IMO. Either wait a month for spring or get your kit to a experienced piper for advice or get a new reed. To keep my reed somewhat working I sit on the John and play for about 15 minutes with the shower running on hot to try and get some humidity into the reed. Doing this helps my set but don't do it for too long. Pipes don't like extremes of hot or cold or wet or dry.
I'm on it...