High a roll

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
buskerSean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

High a roll

Post by buskerSean »

How do folks do a high a roll without losing the octave? Just getting back into playing after 6 yrs off!
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: High a roll

Post by Calum »

Depends on reed, I think. I have to crank a bit with the elbow but it works just fine for me, so far at least...
andymay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andymay »

Myself i generally have the F or G fingers open and that seems to help. But still some setups often loose the octave when you cut with the csharp, in which case cutting with the B instead can be a safer option?

Any use?

A
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

On my chanter, and with my reed (which I've been playing in that chanter since 1982) High A is a bit problematic anyway.

It's most in tune using x xxo oxxx and it's stable enough to roll, cutting with the middle finger and patting just the ring finger.

Depending on the melody I'll also use x xxo xoxx say when going back and forth between F# and A and that too works well for rolls; however with that fingering high A is a tad flat.

On my chanter x xxo xxxx doesn't sound well. Neither does x xxo ooxx.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Lifting a chanter off the knee (either momentarily or perhaps throughout the sequence) can allow things to happen in the second octave when a reed is reluctant to stay there.

I would recommend venting with the F# hole whether playing on or off the knee. Again, this could be throughout the roll sequence or simply in one phase of it. As it was taught to me, the best time to vent with the F# hole is the time that the chanter would otherwise be closed off in the octave ie when your finger momentarily closes the G hole

Boyd

(I am presuming here that you cut the A with the B not the C note, and then tip the G to complete the roll)

....nobody said this would be easy......

myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

depends on your chanter . . .
For my Sloan chanter it took a while for me, but I usually leave a note open on my bottom hand, so it will look like:

x xxo oxxx

x xoo oxxx
x xxo oxxx
x xxx oxxx
x xxo oxxx

This is what I usually do . . . sometimes I will cut with the c-natural key if I want a sharper cut, and sometimes I will vent the F# hole instead of the G.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

and with my reed (which I've been playing in that chanter since 1982)
and pipers complain about reeds!!!!!

try an oboe

but maybe since oboists are constantly having to make (or purchase) reeds they get good at it...

and sorry for the off topic interjection
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Vent the F and/or G. And accept it will drop the octave sometimes anyway.