"Birthday of the King" question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

"Birthday of the King" question

Post by CHasR »

To the piper who has recorded:
"Birthday of the King" (On that night in Bethlehem) © Deibler/Eaton/Knight 2011, with the Prestonwood Choir / Nativity Symphony;

I am rather curious as to whose chanter you are using. PM me if you wish. I know you're on here, somewhere.....
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: "Birthday of the King" question

Post by maze »

did you find out?
Maze
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

CHasR wrote:"Birthday of the King" (On that night in Bethlehem) © Deibler/Eaton/Knight 2011, with the Prestonwood Choir / Nativity Symphony
Can't answer your question, but I listened to a sample of the recording on Amazon and it's the traditional melody "Don oiche ud i mBeithil". Curious how Deibler, Eaton and Knight can claim copyright over a traditional melody.
PJ
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

PJ wrote:Can't answer your question, but I listened to a sample of the recording on Amazon and it's the traditional melody "Don oiche ud i mBeithil". Curious how Deibler, Eaton and Knight can claim copyright over a traditional melody.
Happens all the time in folk music publishing. As one example, I'm looking at my copy of The Irish Songbook by The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem. And every song in the book is marked © Copyright by Tiparm Music Publishers. Including "Whisky You're the Devil", "The Wren Song", etc. They're also credited as "Adapted by ..." whomever. I believe the IP principle is that you're copyrighting the actual setting and physical note layout on the page. In the above case, maybe the claim is on those words with the melody as a unique derivative work. But it is always odd, isn't it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MTGuru is (yet again) right, :P :wink: there are gazillions of "trad/anon/pd" melodies which have been adapted, arranged, REarranged, folded, spindled, mutilated and basmatized by numerous composers, performers, etc throughout the recorded history of title registration. FYI the trad melody is incorporated into & onto an otherwise orig work in various guises, both recognizable and un recognizeable. ly.
Yes, I had to learn "Don Oiche" a couple Christmases ago, and AM STILL TRYING TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE PIPER ON THIS PARTICULAR RECORDING, who was sadly not credited on the production, at least not the copy I have. Talk to me!!! :thumbsup:
Podge

Post by Podge »

Curious how Deibler, Eaton and Knight can claim copyright over a traditional melody.
They are claiming copyright over their recording and arrangement of the traditional melody. That arrangement is protected for 50 years (under Irish copyright Law - don't know about the USA). The original melody remains in the public domain that anyone else can perform or arrange. It doesn't prevent other musicians from using the original melody however they wish.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I'm to play this same piece Sunday week, and cannot find any online recordings. I have played the tune it is based upon for several years, but have never heard the orchestral part behind it.
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.