Ok to sell bellows out of set?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobkeenan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Ok to sell bellows out of set?

Post by bobkeenan »

I purchased a full concert D set from Brad Angus earlier this year. I LOVE he chanter and am still learning (like for years more) the regs. I also bought a Dow bellows. The bellows that came with the set is a good bellows but I prefer the Dow. So the Angus bellows sits on my shelf unused. So I was thinking of selling it but?

1. Will that lower the value of the set if i sell that someday?
2. Would Angus or any other maker not be happy if I showed up one day with the set but different bellows?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Ok to sell bellows out of set?

Post by PJ »

bobkeenan wrote: 1. Will that lower the value of the set if i sell that someday?
2. Would Angus or any other maker not be happy if I showed up one day with the set but different bellows?
1. Dow bellows are well made, so I doubt they would decrease the overall value.
2. You'll have to ask Brad Angus.
PJ
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

It all depends
I'm Spartacus .
learnthegrip

Post by learnthegrip »

You might also consider that if you sell the Angus set, you may want to keep your Dow bellows to use with your next set. If you sell the Angus bellows now then if you ever sell the set you'd be selling it with no bellows.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
bobkeenan

Post by bobkeenan »

Decided to sell. I need the money and i probably wont sell the full set till I am unable to play and then I can just bundle the Dow bellows with it. Thanks for the comments.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

As Rory said: "It all depends".
To me you enter the undesirable road to a Frankenset. What next? Swap the chanter?
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

To me you enter the undesirable road to a Frankenset. What next? Swap the chanter?
I'm not sure why this is described as being 'undesirable'?

Many of the best pipers around, both professional and non-professional, play chanters of a different maker than the bodies of their sets (especially in concert pitch). Whether this is desirable or not in terms of resale value depends on the set/chanter in question. But in terms of making music, I don't see anything at all undesirable in choosing to play a chanter other than the original, if you prefer the tone, feel and playability of the other instrument.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
piperhahn

Post by piperhahn »

This is a tough question. I know you already decided to sell, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone. I have two sets of pipes from amazing makers. (Q&K and Gallagher) but I bought a set of Dow bellows, because I had a chance to try them once and they were simply the most amazing bellows I ever had the pleasure to use.. neither of my other bellows was poorly designed (and actually the K&Q has at least one feature I wish was on my Dow bellows and that's an outlet tube that angles at about 45 Degrees forward) I ended up simply putting the other two (both amazing) bellows in a box and they've been there for about 2 years now, but I still feel bad, because it would be nice if someone was getting some use out of them but at the same time I think I'd hate to choose to sell one of those sets some day and not have the original bellows with them.. so now I just feel like a bellows hoarder, and it's sad, because I paid more for those Dow bellows than most beginners "want" to pay for a starter set.. but they are, again, amazing and worth every penny.. if you ever think about getting a set of Dow bellows go ahead and make it happen. you'll be thankful you did.