Purely Whistle CD what songs would you like to see

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wizzer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wizzer »

I have been pestering Jerry O'Sullivan to come out with a purely whistle CD. one with no accompaniment and for the sole purpose of giving those wishing to learn something to play along with. We have discussed that he do one for beginners and one for intermediates players.
If I can convince him to put the time and energy and expence in what tunes would you like to see on this type of CDs.
There are recoding and productions cost for a limited run like this but I personally think it is something the whistle community can really use.
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Drowsy Maggie
Kesh Jig
Kid on the Mountain
King of the Fairies
Tam Lin
Shebeg Shemore
Siuil Aroon
Fields of Athenry
Boys of Ballisidare
Clumsy Lover
Devils Dead
Drops of Brandy
Foxhunters Jig
Lark in the Morning
Terry 'cuz' Teehans
Wind that shakes the barley

That should be a good start... :smile:

Aodhan
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Aodhan, I think three of your first four are on Cathal McConnell's instruction CD. Other songbooks have accompanying CDs.

Just one request: please ask Jerry to employ a count in to each tune. I can't believe how many instructional CDs of Irish music just launch unannounced into each tune as though the listener had a magical intuition into just when the tune was going to start. This doesn't happen in other styles and is just plain amateurish. It isn't 'charming' either, just stupid.

Oh, my list. Anything good will do.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Langstrom's Pony at a reasonable speed. Everything I've got of it is too fast.
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

Great suggestions.
just keep in mind that we are discussing at least two levels and two different CDs. If Jerry can be convinced to put this together.
For a beginner Cd I think it would be mostly Airs leading into a few hornpipes.
This would allow for training on the basic and a few ornaments
The intermediate could be a collection of Jigs and reels with introduction to some more ornamentation.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Britches Full of Stitches
Swallowtail
Fill, Fill, A Run O
Southwind (good one for the beginner's CD)
Denis Murphy's Slide
O Keefe's Slide

Redwolf
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

We have had 78 reads on the message so far but only a few suggestion.
Do the C & F people feel their is a need for this item or should the Idea be dropped.
TomB

Post by TomB »

I definitely feel there is a need, at least from the Beginner point of view. I didn't make suggestions because I'm not far enough along. I like the idea of a Beginner's CD featuring Airs and Hornpipes, however.

I truly hope you make this happen.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

I`m with Tom on this one. We for sure need to have CDs like this. There are a million tunes out there and as a beginner I sometimes feel overwhelmed with what there is to learn. It is a real treat to have a tallented player take the time to help in this journey. Most of the songs I play I don`t know the names of. They are just tunes I have heard some place or other and have stuck in my mind. Anything will do, I love it all.

Tom
Bala

Post by Bala »

I think there is a need for it. But it's hard for me to make suggestions because I am a beginner as well. I would like to see:
A fig for a kiss
Inisheer (and other airs)
I'd like to hear from those more experienced players that can think back to when they were learning and tell what tunes they wished they had access to back then.
Bala
-\/-
\/\/
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2003-02-05 15:22, Blackbeer wrote:
There are a million tunes out there and as a beginner I sometimes feel overwhelmed with what there is to learn
Just for that reason, if you don't mind me saying so, maybe a CD like that shouldn't be filled with the mostly unbelievably obvious tunes that were mentioned above but with a load of suitable but maybe somewhat lesser known ones so that you get introduced to a repertoire that has a somewhat wider horizon.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-02-05 16:24, Peter Laban wrote:
On 2003-02-05 15:22, Blackbeer wrote:
There are a million tunes out there and as a beginner I sometimes feel overwhelmed with what there is to learn
Just for that reason, if you don't mind me saying so, maybe a CD like that shouldn't be filled with the mostly unbelievably obvious tunes that were mentioned above but with a load of suitable but maybe somewhat lesser known ones so that you get introduced to a repertoire that has a somewhat wider horizon.
This is a good idea.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think if Jerry is going to record the CD, he should pick tunes that he thinks are good for beginners to learn, technically & stylistically, and that will represent what he, O'Sullivan, is interested in musically.

It shouldn't matter how widely the tunes are played because those learning with the CD won't be finished afterwards anyway: there will be more tunes to learn. It makes much more sense to me that such a CD tries to teach style, phrasing, expression: all the subtle things lost in the musical notation. A player who has developed a bit of an ear and good taste will have no problem picking up a tune he or she wants to learn. And who wants to add to the repertoire of a player who hasn't learned good style & expression?
/Bloomfield
Paul

Post by Paul »

The feedback is going in the right direction IMO. I hope that he decides to make the CD. Hope you can talk him into it, Wizzer.

-Paul
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I agree that the CD should teach style and the tunes should be up to the master. The tunes I want to learn are those that are played at my local session - which may not be the ones everyone else wants to learn. It's a great idea, anyway.