Hamilton & Monzani

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
radcliff
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Hamilton & Monzani

Post by radcliff »

Hammy just updates his blog with a review of a :shock: Monzani!!
Joy!
http://hammy-flutemaker.blogspot.it/201 ... -last.html
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
Hup

Re: Hamilton & Monzani

Post by Hup »

There's one for sale at http://irishflutestore.com/ - without the B foot though
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Always love the look and craftsmanship of these flutes, if they only played like they look... :swear:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

They do with a proper headjoint (some Monzanis have itty-bitty embouchure holes).

Now, who do we know who has recreated one of those?

:poke:

Rob
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

A very fine review from Mr. Hamilton. A lot of interesting information about Monzani flutes that I didn't know. There's a Monzani and Co, London. circa 1820, for sale here:
http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.a ... wood-8-key
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Steampacket wrote:A very fine review from Mr. Hamilton. A lot of interesting information about Monzani flutes that I didn't know. There's a Monzani and Co, London. circa 1820, for sale here:
http://www.earlymusicshop.com/product.a ... wood-8-key
The later ones made by Hill, like this one with a separate foot i think are nicer.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

There's been a boxwood Monzani on the following site for a while now as well:
http://www.music-treasures.com/antflupi.htm

Beautiful to look at.

Anyone ever heard on in action playing tunes?

There was one reported many years ago as a fine player .

I've never seen one in the flesh.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

dunnp wrote:There's been a boxwood Monzani on the following site for a while now as well:
http://www.music-treasures.com/antflupi.htm

Beautiful to look at.

Anyone ever heard on in action playing tunes?

There was one reported many years ago as a fine player .

I've never seen one in the flesh.
Pretty early version, probably 430 tuning, but sweet sounding... Better be, at $5k!
Michael Flatley

Jon
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

dunnp wrote:Anyone ever heard on in action playing tunes?
As I've written here on C&F before, my first 8-key simple system concert flute was a Monzani. It was quite sweet but, narrow-bored and small-holed as it was, it wasn't by any means ideal for ITM. It did me the (IMO) favour of forcing me to learn to use correct classical fingerings with vented keys for F# and C# etc. because without them the intonation and strength of those notes was very poor.

One (the nearer one with the B foot) of the two ivory flutes depicted on the cover of this (highly recommended) album of music for two flutes played by Stephen Preston & Lisa Besnoziuk is a Hill, late Monzani & Co., looking absolutely typical Monzani. The flutes are those actually used for the later repertory on the album. Get the album (available as MP3 downloads) and judge for yourself! ;-)

I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

Once upon a time I had the chance to play either that exact Monzani or its identical twin. What a posh piece of kit it was, too, like playing a Doric column draped with Lalique trinkets.

Rob
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Rob Sharer wrote:Once upon a time I had the chance to play either that exact Monzani or its identical twin. What a posh piece of kit it was, too, like playing a Doric column draped with Lalique trinkets.
Rob
Choicely put, Rob! Did it sound good? Stephen Preston certainly makes this one sing.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Rob Sharer

Post by Rob Sharer »

It was refined and polite, more pretty sounding than brash. The embouchure hole wasn't what I was used to at the time, so I don't think we were best suited for one another.

Rob
apossibleworld
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by apossibleworld »

I have played one of those ivory flutes before and thought it was fantastic. But then again I am more interested in the sweet classical sound, and I prefer a small embouchure.

Jem, on that recording, do you know which pieces they play the Monzani/Hill on, and what's the other ivory flute? I'm just listening online, no liner notes. What are the earlier flutes?

I have a very nice ebony and ivory Hill (late Monzani) that needs to be restored. Integral foot.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I have the LP at home (nice, large picture!) but am in work just now. From memory the Haydn and everything later are on the ivory flutes pictured, the other being a Drouet IIRA. The baroque style flutes used for the baroque pieces are both modern copies, but I forget details. Later.........

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

OK, the full gen:
The album was recorded in 1983. The Bach and Handel pieces are played on two copies of a 1735 Rottenburgh, Preston's by Tutz and Beznosiuk's by Winkelman. For the rest of the content the C19th multi-keyed ivory flutes were used. Preston's ivory Hill, late Monzani & Co. has 10 keys and was made in London in 1831/2; Beznosiuk's Drouet has 8 keys and was made c1825.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums