Original late Keyless Rudall prices?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
keithsandra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Original late Keyless Rudall prices?

Post by keithsandra »

Anyone have any idea how much an original late keyless Rudall costs now? And how do I get in touch with John Cornea?

Thanks in advance ..

Best wishes all,

Keith.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Original late Keyless Rudall prices?

Post by kkrell »

Jon Cornia
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=522

This has his email and Private Message.
Or Friend him on Facebook (Jon Cornia)
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

@kkrell

Thanks! I swear I looked in the membership list four times - once under C, and once under J, then both again ... Ironically, I was in touch with him earlier this year and had his email address, then it must have disappeared in the transfer from my old, dead PC to my new one ...

Thanks again.

Best,

Keith.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

keithsandra wrote:Anyone have any idea how much an original late keyless Rudall costs now?
Out of curiosity, is there such a thing? The only original Rudall's I've come across have all been keyed, in one system or another. Also, what do you mean by late? 1870s? Early 20c? These are questions completely out of curiosity, nothing else.

However, out of interest, I have a late Rudall (I think it's a Rudall Carte & Co, but Jem would know better than me :poke: ). It has 8 sterling silver keys and is in absolutely perfect, original condition. It even has its original case, though I don't use it for fear of it falling apart (the leather hinge is broken already, as so many of them are). It's probably of no use to you, Keith, as it's in the UK and I wouldn't want to ship it overseas. Also no use, I suppose, because it's got keys.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Oh. I provided the contact info for Jon. As to the OP's request for keyless, might he mean a modern "original" keyless flute, based on a later true Rudall (and adjusted if need be for improved tuning at A=440)?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Oh. I provided the contact info for Jon. As to the OP's request for keyless, might he mean a modern "original" keyless flute, based on a later true Rudall (and adjusted if need be for improved tuning at A=440)?
Ah. Maybe. In which case, my confusion would have been the word "original".
libraryman

Post by libraryman »

I read it the same way,
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

I have it on good authority from an email this morning that Rudall's didn't make keyless flutes. The nearest they got was a six key, apparently. So my hopes for an "original" Rudall keyless are dashed.

Now what? Am I doomed to a heavy keyed original Rudall? It's no use looking for a contemporary version of a Rudall because I think I already have one of those if the measurements of my authoritatively voiced, sweet playing one-keyed circa mid 18th century Cocus and the comments of Chiffers is anything to go by. It's got me itching to hear the "real", "original" Rudall sound that everyone talks about. Once I do, maybe the one I've got will be the keeper I'm looking for. (I want to concentrate on just one "sweet" flute and one full volume flute).

Am I going to be doomed to keys? (Sob).

Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Keith.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Keith, if you ever want to try an original keyed Rudall just to see what it's like, I'd be happy to let you try mine. Jon C said that it's one of those special Rudalls, and Patrick Olwell took its measurements when it was in his hands. I don't go over to the island that often, but when I do I am en route to Chemainus, so in principle it would be possible to drop it off in Nanaimo on the way out, and pick it up on the way back. Or if you come to Vancouver, then let me know and we could see if we can meet.

It's not as light as a Watson (thinned walls, and smaller keys), but it's much lighter than my Morvan. I will say that working on hand and arm tension while piping has transferred to the flute, and now I don't notice weight of the flute anymore. So if perchance you are looking for keyless for reasons of weight, this might be a sign that you could rethink the basics of holding and playing the flute. Of course, if you are looking keyless for other reasons, just ignore this comment.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

That's a very generous offer, Hugh. Thank you very much. I would love to try your Rudall. Unfortunately I shall be out of the country for some time within a week, so wont be able to take you up on this great offer until I get back. But I do feel settled at the thought I shall at last be able to hear and feel that Rudall sound everyone talks about. What luck!

So far as keys are concerned, I have a romantic notion about playing a simple flute without the sophistications of keys, learning how to half hole and whatnot to achieve whatever the music or my tastes dictate: Simplicity in all it's primal meanings. I have a one key, a four key, and an eight key flute, but have not yet taken to using their keys seriously. Perhaps the keyed Rudall will change my mind.

Thanks again Hugh. I shall be in touch.

By the way, I got that new large holed Olwell I was salivating for. I'm giving myself plenty of time to get used to it's attributes. At the moment it sounds great for ITM dance tunes but that's not all I play. Its tone sounds coarse compared to my more sophisticated Rudall type Cocus ... For what it's worth, I think a flute should sound like a flute: sweet, mysterious, with commanding volume but subtle harmonies that wet the eyes, raise the neck hairs, roil the stomach and set the heart in wonderous turmoil. (Someone get me a bucket of cold water ...)

All the best,

Keith.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I suppose you could say Seamus Tansey plays an original keyless Rudall and Rose--he took the keys off and plugged up the holes (and sanded off the blocks?). So there's always that route...
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Yes, I forgot about that one! :lol:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Tansey. Wasn't he the one who used sultanas to plug the keyholes? In that Sam Browne belt he always looks like Rama of the Jungle. . .or like he just busted out of the harness of a full set of pipes. . .powerful fluting notwithstanding. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Neil B

Post by Neil B »

Whomever is the info passer, pass on....4 Nov 1881 # 1283 started a run of x4 keyed flutes made by R.C. but these were only "band flutes" :-))

I have it on good authority from an email this morning that Rudall's didn't make keyless flutes. The nearest they got was a six key, apparently. So my hopes for an "original" Rudall keyless are dashed.
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Neil B" How do you mean, "only 'band flutes'"? What kind of flutes were they?

Best wishes,

Keith.