Fintan Vallely New edition of Learning the Irish Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
TomGlos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Fintan Vallely New edition of Learning the Irish Flute

Post by TomGlos »

New edition of Fintan Vallely's "Timber" now titled "A Complete Guide to Learning the Irish Flute"
is be launched in Dublin on 8 October, per this page
http://imusic.ie/complete-guide-to-lear ... ish-flute/

Copyright May 2013, published August 2013, maybe it'll even be possible to buy it soon!

(No connection, I've just been keeping an eye on progress.)
Tom
TomGlos

Re: Fintan Vallely New edition of Learning the Irish Flute

Post by TomGlos »

Website now says launch is in November at the same venue in Dublin. No other explanation.

This gets tedious. Bad as ordering a flute from some notorious makers!
TomGlos

Post by TomGlos »

Now available, or so it seems,

Waltons in Ireland anyway
http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=31870

24 euro or so plus P&P
megapop

Post by megapop »

Its predecessor "Timber" used to get recommended quite a bit, no?
return null;
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

The original Timber was and still is a wonderful little tutor. It is done with intelligence and humor. It was central to my development over 25 years ago and I still pick it up to read every so often.

http://imusic.ie/timber-the-flute-tutor/
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
megapop

Post by megapop »

Thanks JD! So it looks like I'll get this one. :)
return null;
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

I'm interested in this book as well. Has anyone found a place to order it online in North America or is Walton's in Ireland the only place?
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

I'm sure Custy's will have it. I'd sooner support Custy's than any other music shop in Ireland. Or the US.
Custy's is very supportive of musicians and music. The family is deeply involved in music, not just as a business. Everybody who works there or who is associated with the shop loves the music, and some in the family play at a very high level.
If you aren't familiar with the shop and with their collection of trad videos of musicians passing through town, you're missing an important resource. This is the music shop equivalent of a small local pub in a small village thirty years ago. What Joseph McHugh's used to be.

http://www.custysmusic.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/CustysMusic
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I would have to second Custy's as a great source as well. Shipping has always been quick and reasonable and they have recordings that no one else does. I always look there first.
whinstone

Post by whinstone »

Just noticed these letters ... what can I say? Apologies for delays, but entirely down to the publishers, Waltons, as I finished my stuff on the revision of the book (see imusic.ie) in April last. It seems alarming that they took so long to put it in their catalogue, for it is in their shop, but it may be best if I get copies from them and put it out also through my own site. Their site now has it on http://waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=31870
Thanks for the wake-up on this ... FV
monoRAIL

Post by monoRAIL »

Waltons don't ship to Australia. Is there anywhere else I can buy this book?
Conor O'Kane
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I can report that Fintan's new book and CD's have made it halfway around the planet and arrived safely out here on the extreme edge of the USA Pacific Northwest.

The book was ordered from the Walton's web site on Friday Dec. 6th and shipped on the following Monday. It took another 10 days to arrive via U.S. postal service, which is about on par with other things I've ordered from Ireland.

With multiple family visits over the holidays, it's been hectic and I haven't had a chance to do more than skim the contents and burn the audio files for study on my iPod. So far, it looks like a valuable text for someone like me, a second year beginner who doesn't have access to local instruction. It covers technique from a few slightly different angles than my current favorite book (Conal O'Grada's "An Fheadog Mhor"), and includes an interesting historical background section. I had planned on picking up "Timber" at some point, so this new version arrived just in time to be next on the list for me.