Japanese Gouges for Reedmaking

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mukade
antispam: No

Japanese Gouges for Reedmaking

Post by mukade »

I have been looking around for a new gouge.
As I live in Japan, the flat rates that retailers use the postage mean that the postage can be as much as or more than the gouge itself.

I read somewhere that Benedict Koehler uses a Japanese gouge, so I have been looking at Japanese wood tools.
There are a plethora of shapes and designs for woodworking here, and I can pick them up at local stores,

ImageImage
The above type is an in-cannel scribing gouge. They are used for trimming and paring, but unlike western in-cannels the bevel is flat.
I am wondering how useful they would be for reeds.

I am a duffer when it comes to this sort of thing.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
geoff wooff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Japanese Gouges for Reedmaking

Post by geoff wooff »

I cannot see why you could not use one of these for gouging cane slips. You might want to decrease the bevel angle a bit, but on the other hand this flat bevel does make for easier sharpening.

These Gouges look as if they have a slightly 'cranked' shank which lifts the handle away from the cutting plane... this can be a good thing as it éliminâtes the possiblility of ramming the handle into the end of your slip.

Geoff.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

Those things are supposedly incredibly sharp, and hold the edge v. well!

I believe what you mean about Benedict's gouge is the type of gouge he fabricated for his own unique way of reed making is similar to a gouge found in Asia. However, you won't be able to find anything like that easily (if at all) commercially available, aside from John ward fabricating one for you.

John Ward (on this list) will make any of the Koehler style reed making gear. He is a brilliant machinist!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
mukade

Post by mukade »

Thanks for the replies.

I talked to my neighbour who is a carpenter. He can get tools at cost, so I will pick something up for him.
He doesn't have any in-cannel gouges himself, but I showed him the cane and what I want to do.
He said the Japanese gouges should cut cane like butter because they are used for bamboo.
He also said he would take me down to an old supplier where we can sit down with an expert and see what will do the job best.
The shop guy can adjust the gouge as needed.

If you are into woodworking, these old shops are your wet dream.

Last edited by mukade on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
lordofthestrings
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by lordofthestrings »

I have one just like this that's about 15mm wide I use for violin work, especially for fine-tuning surfaces like bridge feet and soundposts. I like the fact that the bevel is flat, makes sharpening and then touch-up honing and stropping a breeze, and the round shape of the edge of the blade makes for great cutting control. It took me a while to get used to using it, having been used to 'western' chisels and gouges, but now I'd never give mine up. They will hone up INSANELY sharp, and since they cut rock maple (even with high-figure) like it's warm butter, I can only imagine how slick they'll be with cane.

...if you get one and don't like it, I'll give you my forwarding address :D It was a bit of a hunt to get a good one in the states.
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Mukade, if those tools are forged up anything like other Japanes traditional edges, there is an incredible amount of craft-knowledge backed up by modern steel technology. lordofthestrings you are right, these types of tools do hone up insanely sharp. Particularly if you invest in the traditional water stone sharpeners.
P.S cannot view your image.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
mukade

Post by mukade »

an seanduine wrote:Mukade, if those tools are forged up anything like other Japanes traditional edges, there is an incredible amount of craft-knowledge backed up by modern steel technology. lordofthestrings you are right, these types of tools do hone up insanely sharp. Particularly if you invest in the traditional water stone sharpeners.
P.S cannot view your image.

Bob
I updated the image.

Those big chisels at the bottom are for low A chanters :D
Last edited by mukade on Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Tony Mcmahon
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Snap. Now I see it. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi