Olwell Pratten and Nicholson physical differences.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
yvie
antispam: No

Olwell Pratten and Nicholson physical differences.

Post by yvie »

Hi all,
Just a quick question regarding Olwell flutes, the Pratten and the Nicholson models, I'm looking at one on
Monday morning, the owner has no idea which it is, all I know is it's one of the two, and consist of headjoint, tuning barrel mid section with all six holes and footjoint, I'm guessing his Rudall model is a 5 piece and not
4 piece, So is there anyway of telling which Olwell flute it might be, as the sound is describe as big on both, I don't think it will be easy to tell by sound alone, so are there any clear cut dimensional identifications.

All the best Yvie
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Olwell Pratten and Nicholson physical differences.

Post by kkrell »

From an eBay description by Patrick Olwell "I think the size of the tone holes is defined best by looking at the #4 hole, which vents the G. On this flute that figure is 9.0 mm which matches a large majority of the flutes by Prowse, the maker authorized by Charles Nicholson. "

For the Rudall "Our "small" model flute is patterned after period flutes, mostly R-Rose flutes, and l the #4 hole on these is 8.0mm."

I think the Pratten may be 9.5mm or 10mm.
See an older discussion with measurements of holes and span, and you may be able to glean some other info:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9414

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

The bores are apparently different as well and as you might expect.

This is also from a recent Olwell Nicholson description sold by the maker himself recently on eBay.
Patrick Olwell wrote:This is our Nicholson model, which Aaron and I have been working to perfect in the last few years, as we find it a bit more difficult that our Pratten model which usually come
out effortlessly and play themselves. The original Rudall-Rose and Prowse flutes we are following have more complex bores, made with multiple reamers in different tapers or
pitches, and we are doing something similar, with 6 different reamers on the body of the flute, not counting the footjoint. This model, which I call our Medium, is akin to the standard
Prowse flutes marked "Nicholson" and the large hole Rudall-Rose flutes of the period.
Not sure how you'd go about telling which bore it is though. Kevin's suggestion may be the easiest indicator to measure.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

The Nicholson's model he used to sell was the same bore as his Pratten, with different sized tone holes. The Nicholson's Improved bore is difficult to replicate, at least if you want in in 440 tuning! So I imagine it would be something that would take a while to get right. The original small holed Clementi Nicholson's Improved on my desk, just needed a new shorter foot, now it is in much better tuning!
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon