ask from china,about the price of Uillean-pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cai-shao-yang
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

ask from china,about the price of Uillean-pipes

Post by cai-shao-yang »

HI good friends:

i came from china,and play penny whistle,some guys maybe konw me,in other forum.

in china,We could hardly see U-pipes, many people do not understand the U-pipes, but this is a wonderful instrument, should let more people know。

i want konw,Generally speaking, one in the quality, about how much value? if I need to buy one, what good producers recommend?

and Where can I find tutorials? Foundation for more than one year I played Whistles。

thanks all!

your friend CAI
2013-7-30
my mail: 23921660@qq.com
i come from china,and i have a irsh-US name "fluke.Whelan"
DjUntzUntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: ask from china,about the price of Uillean-pipes

Post by DjUntzUntz »

Hello Cai!

Welcome on the Uilleann pipe forums.

It is such a shame that the uilleann pipes are not well known in China. You are absolutely right! The uilleann pipes are fantastic.

There is a wide range of quality and prices for Uilleann pipes. I believe there are a few pipemakers who make a practice set for a very
decent price to be able and step into the wonderful world of uilleann piping.

If you wanna start with the uilleann pipes I would advice you to start with a practice set. You can get a quality practice set for lets say...1000-1500 euro's. (counting in Euro's since i'm European but I hope others can fill in with dollar/sterling pound prices).

There are also quite a few good pipe makers. You can find a list here : http://pipers.ie/makerlist.asp

You can and should check out some uilleann pipes made by different makers and decide what sound you like best... You can contact the maker and
discuss what options there are and how to start with the uilleann pipes. I'm confident they are more than willing to help you out.

The best way to learn the pipes I guess is to play face-to-face with another piper. They can tell you and show you how the pipes are to be played.

There are also some good books that can put you into the right direction. Things such as youtube movies or skype lessons are also possible.

I hope I answered some or many of your questions. If you have anything else to ask, please do! :-)

Kind regards
No E
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by No E »

Dear Cai,

Welcome! Be sure to read the thread warning about uilleann pipes made in Pakistan. A good practice set can be found for around US$1,000 and up. Visit Patrick D'Arcy's Uilleann Obsession website for lots of information: http://www.uilleannobsession.com/ .

I would recommend joining Na Píobairí Uilleann; they have a series of DVD tutorials that are very helpful. Membership includes access to their "The Source" website, which also has quite a few video lessons. The NPU website is: http://www.pipers.ie/

Ask a lot of questions, and be patient before buying a set of pipes.

All the best,

No E
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Hello Cai

Can certainly recommend the NPU DVDs for someone who is a long way from a live piper as you can see how they are played.

Pakistani made pipes do not work and I had one of these horrors before getting my own set. Be very wary of Ebay where these things abound and if it looks and is cheap then avoid it.

Check your pm's

John
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Elmek wrote:
Check your pm's

John
Floggin your pipes there again ,John.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
john

Post by john »

hunterpipes.co.uk make budget-price chanters available at short notice

I think that pipers who live in remote places piping-wise tend to try to become self-sufficient with regard to reeds
maki
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maki »

Have you thought of coming to LA for the Pipers Tionol in November?
You can use my Daye Penny Chanter set, getting started is better with help.
I cant go due to my nephews wedding.
http://www.socalpipers.com/index.html
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Floggin your pipes there again ,John.

RORY
Posting your usual rubbish to get your 'score' up or is it one two many bevvies again Rory

Not selling any of my pipes just offering some suggestions

John