Possible sale of 7 x Mike Grinter whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jerry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Possible sale of 7 x Mike Grinter whistles

Post by Jerry »

I am considering selling my Mike Grinter made set of wooden whistles... I bought them over several years in the 1990' s and quite honestly I have rarely played them so they are still in pristine condition..I have one of his flutes which I love and would never, ever sell and I play this rather than the whistles...They cost me a lot of money then ( Australian $400 for the high D alone ) ..I have yet to find out from Mike what the present cost of them would be to replace so I am open to SERIOUS offers only. If you are after a bargain then forget it !...I will not necessarily accept the highest offer...This could be a rare chance to buy these at one go and not have to wait years for them... These outstanding whistles are the Low D, Low F, Low G, A, Bb, C and high D.....Check up with his prices before hand if you like.....I WILL NOT separate these whistles !!!!

" Angels play Grinter flutes and whistles as the sound is heavenly " !!!
Last edited by Jerry on Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Possible sale of 7 x Mike Grinter whistles

Post by benhall.1 »

Wow! I might be up for them if they weren't so far away. I've been burned so many times by Customs here in the UK that it's put me off importing instruments.

I was lucky enough one time to be able to try Liam Kelly's Grinter low D, and it was a fantastic instrument. I certainly hope they find an appreciative home.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Nice lot by a revered maker. Some whistler is going to be very lucky. :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Wow, that's an impressive set...I have the low D and F...they are outstanding...a little on the quiet side....the last time I spoke to MG's wife, she told me that Michael has stopped making Low whistles...she said that his son might start making low F's but never again will we see the low D...so it is somewhat of a collector's dream...she also told me that Michael has only ever made 11 or 12 low D's...the wood is more valuable as a flute....so yes, very rare...I would imagine that a certain amount of care would have to go into this set...I would be like a mother hen with this set and never take them to sessions...I only use the Grinter's is on stage and miked...Susato low F and Copeland brass low D for sessions and all the madness involved with that sometimes...I've left my whistle case on hot dog carts, hotel rooms etc...good luck with the sale! very curious as to the price...$3,500-4000 would be my guess...
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Wow! Too. While my Whoad may be stirring up I know I cannot go for the entire set as one collection. Individually maybe. But my complete respect for whoever ends up with this Grinter set. Congrats... Nice...

And, I want to say it's about time the wooden whistles get some current air time on the whistle forum. No ill intentions here, but, lately its been all metal and plastic... aluminum, brass, delrin, etc., so hooray for the woodies and their makers!
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Do Grinter whistles have the mouthpiece made of wood only, with no metal parts?
If so - they are of a rare kind as most of makers make their mouthpieces (of wooden whistles) using metal tubing and so on.
As far as I know all-wooden mouthpiece requires much more labour - patience, accuracy and time from the maker.
So no wonder they cost a lot.
Respect to Michael Grinter, of course.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

All wood mouthpiece with a very tiny brass pin holding it together....well the low D and F does...I can't speak for the others being offered here but I can only imagine that it would be the same...
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I keep reading that the low whistles are no longer made, but this doesn't go in line with what I was told when I emailed them a few months ago.

I said I'd like to buy a whistle, and I was told that a batch of soprano whistles will be finished soon, and the low whistles will be quite some time before they are finished. I'm not sure why I was told this if they are no longer made...

I did immediately email them back asking some questions about what timbers are used, and the price, and I said I'd be interested in a high and low whistle both. I never got a response after these few months, so I gave up on it.

But anyway, she did tell me that it would be some time before the low whistles would be available, but didn't say they wouldn't be made anymore.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I could never seriously entertain the thought of buying these, but would love to see a photo of the craftsmanship, regardless.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

@Sirchronique....F is a low whistle...did you ask for a low D specifically?....pretty sure he stopped making the low D....although he could have changed his mind...I'm surprised that they never got back to you...
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

whistle1000 wrote:@Sirchronique....F is a low whistle...did you ask for a low D specifically?....pretty sure he stopped making the low D....although he could have changed his mind...I'm surprised that they never got back to you...
They simply said "high whistles, and "other keys" (So they didn't necessarily say "low whistle", I realise now upon checking, but that's what I took "other keys" to mean)there were no references to the specific keys available. So, I said I was interested in one of the high whistles, and also a low whistle. I said I am not sure if I'd be interested in a low D, Eb, or low F, and I asked for prices and timbers. No response. I would have at very least liked to have boughten one of the sopranos. Response to my initial message before that one was very prompt, though.

It's not a big problem though, it was probably just an accident. It might have possibly slipped through to the junkmailbox, or perhaps business tied things up and it mistakingly got missed. I'm going to write back soon, though. If the low ones aren't available, I still want to try one of the sopranos. It's a shame the ones on this thread won't be splitten up! :cry: Can't justify spending several thousand more $$ on whistles, though :p .

I primarily bring this up here because I was confused regarding if they really are impossible to get in certain keys, or not. I just wrote a message to them again, so hopefully I will hear back on the official word of what is still available and what is not. It would also be relevant info pertaining to the sale taking place on this thread, as a no-longer-made key will undoubtedly be worth much more.

My mistake and apologies for the "low whistle" misquote. Although, I'm still wondering if that's what was meant by high whistles and "other keys".