Comparing whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Comparing whistles

Post by DrPhill »

I have been comparing two whistles. They sound vastly different to me when playing, but they sound more similar when listening to a recording. Some of you out there have more discerning ears, and I would appreciate you opinions on the difference in tone, if you coould spare the time.

I rushed off a recording this morning. Same room, same position, same recording settings, no enhancement (except a 'normalisation' which amplifies the signal uniformly). Same tune, played once with each whistle. I left in the gaps and the flubs as it is not about my playing or audio mastering techniques.

Your opinions would be very helpful. I will not identify the whistles yet, as that might colout your perceptions.

Thanks
Mikethebook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Comparing whistles

Post by Mikethebook »

Nice playing! What was the tune?

Wow! They did sound so similar to my ears. The differences were very subtle. Of the two I preferred the first which I felt had a slightly richer fuller tone with more breathiness. The second whistle had a good sound but suffered slightly by way of comparison. It was a purer sound and lacked the fullness of the first whistle. I won't even try to guess what the whistles are. I will only embarrass myself. That's my two pennyworth anyway.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

My guess is that the first one is a dixon.

I've noticed the same about recordings and whistles sounding more similar. I recently got two different whistles from the same maker, and in the recordings they sounded pretty similar. In real life they were very different from one another (btw, both fantastic though!). These were two completely different models, by the way. The attributes of sound that set them apart from one another were not heard in the recording. I think recordings generally suck tone from the instrument.

Also, I've recorded whistles and noticed the sound as being much different. I'd say it's due to a combination of factors.

First, any recording method is not going to pick up all the frequencies heard in real life, with many of the attributes that set the whistles apart from one another might not be picked up in the recording.

Second, whistles sound different to the person not playing it. What you are hearing is different from what a person 15 feet away might hear, and this applies to the microphone, too, even moreso considering the first factor.

I noticed when I record my MK it sounds much less breathy than it does to me when I'm playing it. I'd say it's a combination of both factors I mentioned.

I could tell a difference between the two whistles on the recording. I assume they sound much more different in real life, though, especially to the one playing them. The sound wasn't too different between the two, but enough to know it's not the same whistle.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

I found both samples to be pleasing to my ears. Any variation noted was minor and I can easily say I did not have significant preference of one vs. the other. Nice playing. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I agree that the differences audible on the recording are very subtle. On first listening, I had a slight preference for the breathier tone of the first whistle; on second listening, I favoured the second whistle, and I think that's the one I'd prefer for long-term use. Neither is a dud. I enjoyed the playing, too. Thanks.

Next question ... is there any way to make recordings that reveal the differences more clearly?
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

I don't know that my ears are particularly discerning but the whistles do sound distinctly different. I prefer the second one and thought the tone was more interesting. In particular i thought the low F#DE sequence at the end of one of the early phrases was much nicer on the second whistle.

A caveat though - I have chosen to play flute rather than low whistle so my preferences over tone tend away from the breathy sound of the first one.

Edit to add that I had a quick look at the spectrum of that low E (in Audacity). As I suspected there is more volume in the fundamental from the first whistle; the spectrum of the second is nearer to that of the flute players 'reedy tone'.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

Nice tune, 'Cape Clear'.. I wonder if the first one is a Overton/Goldie/Chieftain and the second a Burke or a Reyburn?
I am shooting in the darke here though.. :)
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

Interesting test! I didn't read the others replies, but will after I post my thoughts.

I preferred whistle no 2, because it had a lovely low end, even though the bell note was not overly strong it seemed). Overall the notes were more defined, (not as airy or thin) compared to whistle no 1.

The low end was stronger on no 2, and it seemed the upper end was a bit harder to access. Nice expressive tone overall.

In contrast, the low end on no 1 was not strong, and it seemed the upper end was easier to access for you. But, a bit too thin and a bit whispy, for my taste, overall in tone.

Sometimes it's all how you play them too-so, maybe it's not a foolproof test either.

Thanks for the listen!
~~~~
Barry
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I find the differences in sound between the two to be rather large, as in hugely different. Along the lines of what Mr_Blackwood said, I'd guess the first whistle has a flat windway while the second may be curved. I wouldn't go so far as to guess brands although the bottom end on the first whistle doesn't, in this recording, seem to have the characteristic power of a Goldie/Overton. But the player can certainly influence how much of that one hears as well.

My main comment on the two is this: The first whistle sounds more consistent in tone from top to bottom, that is to say, the second register notes have the same characteristic tone as the 1st register notes, everything sounds as if it's coming from the same instrument and your ear is not surprised by the sound of any note. Not so on whistle #2 - while the bottom notes lean towards a significantly cleaner/purer tone, the upper notes are much more breathy sounding by comparison. Personally, as a former woodwind maker, I consider this a fault, a poorly designed or voiced instrument: A wind instrument should sound tonally consistent from top to bottom, to be otherwise tends to distract the listener, and player, from the actual music being played. Not as jarring perhaps going up and down the scale, but when you start playing passages where you're jumping between registers, that's where it can really become distracting to have vastly different tonal characteristics of notes in different locations: Pure here, breathy there, piercing/biting somewhere else, etc.

Well that's my take anyway, fwiw.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Both whistles nice sound and nice playing. You know I certainly have no expertise but here goes, FWIW.

The first whistle has a deeper, fuller sound with a slightly more airy quality that took more push. The second whistle has a slightly cleaner, crisper sound, while seemingly easier to reach the higher notes, perhaps a better quality made whistle. I'd prefer the second whistle while both are lovely.

Wild guess here, first whistle is a mystery with the second whistle being a MC. But what do I know. :)

And there's a slew of more discerning ears around here than mine.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

I like the 2nd whistle better. Each note sounds a little more defined.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

First of all, Phill, nice playing! :thumbsup:

I thought the differences were quite marked, to be honest. The second was a much more open sound and, as a result, more expressive. I don't know what the whistles were, and it's probably not even worth guessing. I much preferred the second one though. I'm not so fussed on the breathiness of the first one. Strange, in a way, since I'm guessing that the second one takes more air, since there was just a hint of you running out here and there.

It's a nice tune, that I haven't heard before. It will be going through my head all day now.
Lars Larry Mór Mott

Benhall.1: It's on Paddy Keenan's 'Port an piobairi' album. A pretty good album all through i might add. I had 'Man of the house' churning through my head for days after first hearing the album :)
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Thank you to all who took the tiime to listen and especially for the feedback given. Though I was not seeking comment on my playing, I thank yo u for the compliments. My goal has always been to make music that people enjoy, so your enjoyment bings me great satisfaction.

I may be misinterpretting, but I think there seems to be a preference for the second whistle, which I find reassuring. Out of the two it is the one whose tone I prefer, though it is the more difficult to play. The first whistle has been my main/only whistle for so long I know it almost as well as my tongue knows my teeth. It is very reliable and easy to play.

I find Lorens observatons very interesting. I was not aware of the difference in tone (timbre?) between the different parts of the register - perhaps my ears (or brain) are not sensitive enough to the differences. I would not assume that it is the whistle at fault, though. It is more likely to be my playing. I am not fully in control of the second whistle - it has a will of its own - and maybe I am clamping down too hard on its caprice, and limiting its fullness? I may try recording plain scales without the control and see if the tonal differences persist, though I would have to rely upon Loren's ears for a judgement.

As for the whistles, since people seem to like the 'guessing game' I will let it run another day or so. I will say that one of Loren's assertions was 75% correct. That should spice up the game a little for those that like to play.

The tune is, indeed, Cape Clear. Or was, when I began learning it. I have not looked at the dots for several years, and I am always changeing things, so I may have drifted quite far from the original.

Phill
Lars Larry Mór Mott

DrPhill wrote: I may have drifted quite far from the original.

Phill
Not as far as to keep me from recognizing it within the first bars :)
Nicely played too!