Terry Coyne

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gromit

Terry Coyne

Post by Gromit »

I saw Terry Coyne playing in one of Jem's videos - any one know where I can get his cd it seems to be unavailable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aIZ6WMjRJs - nice
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Terry Coyne

Post by jemtheflute »

I'll try to remember to ask him when I see him or talk to him online next - should be within a couple of weeks. He is a superb player - very good fiddler and singer too, and lovely chap.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

The CD "The Other Side" is Out-of-Print, unless that's a fancy way of saying Terry's got them put up in an attic somewhere.

Assuming he can clear all the compositions for additional release, he could setup a digital-only distribution (MP3s, for instance, on Amazon, CD Baby, or iTunes) to make it available again.

Alternatively, if Terry gives me the OK, I have the copy he sent me for the Wooden Flute Obsession volume 1 project, and could make digital files available to whomever he wishes to so favour.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I'll draw his attention to this thread.........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

I saw him playing in Ennis a week ago, he's an insane flute player... It's incredible the volume he can get out of his very small holed flute (he said it's from the 1820s, foot to low B)
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
Gromit

Post by Gromit »

Thanks folks - it would be good to hear a recording as there's not much out there of him playing solo.

Jem's video is good except the pipes come in a bit loud, I've heard that there is some software that will isolate instruments from a noisy background (if I've got that right) - which would be handy but won't run on my ancient computer.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

LorenzoFlute wrote:I saw him playing in Ennis a week ago, he's an insane flute player... It's incredible the volume he can get out of his very small holed flute (he said it's from the 1820s, foot to low B)
He's a stunning player, for sure - loud and intense on any flute. But I wouldn't describe his Paine & Hopkins (active c 1821-37) as "small-holed", Lorenzo. It has holes pretty comparable to my R&R #4683 - pretty much what I'd call "medium", in that one can find significantly smaller on English flutes and much smaller on Continental ones, especially French. I fettled Terry's (previously much repaired, by Dave Williams among others) flute up for him a while back, and last Autumn he had the embouchure bushed by Chris Wilkes - the original had been crudely enlarged long ago, and Terry had played it thus (as it came to him) spectacularly for many years, but he thinks it's even better and more responsive/less hard work now! :-)

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Yes I imagined the flute was modified...
Maybe it was the light in the pub that made the holes look smaller than they are, I thought they were about as large as a German or French flute. I was also quite tired at that point...
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Jem
I believe Terry is good friends with one of my favorite players, Deidre Havlin (who is having children now?).
Never did know how they came to be chums.
do you know the back story?

it's been a bit since i've chatted with terry. I have a few "off" clips of his before the recording.
btw....it was his playing of John Lardiner's that got me going on the tune.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Fair enough, Lorenzo ;-) FWIW, most nach Meyers I've seen come in at what I'd (subjective, I know, but I kinda take an overall perspective) call "small medium", not much different from many English flutes.

David, Terry seems to know almost anybody and everybody in Ireland and ITM in GB.... and a good many in the US. I'm afraid I don't know about Deirdre Havlin. Neither, alas, have I a copy of Terry's solo CD, so I don't know the tracks on it. I do know (he told me) he recorded a significant part of it on a Hawkes Crown AZ Eb flute now in my possession and awaiting the completion of a stalled, part-done restoration.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

jemtheflute wrote:Neither, alas, have I a copy oif Terry's solo CD, so I don't know the tracks on it.
http://thesession.org/recordings/2086