Three cheers for The Irish Rovers!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The Irish Rovers are back! Well, I guess, realistically speaking, they've never been gone, but it's felt like they've been gone for a very long time.

Call me a silly old groupie if you like, but please bear with me for a while...I feel like I've just discovered that an old friend, who I thought long dead, is very much alive!

More years ago than I care to count, I was idly surfing our limited TV channels for something to watch, and happened upon something incredible...a music that reached out and grabbed hold of my soul. It was an Irish Rovers special, filmed on Prince Edward Island, and it totally captivated me. I was enthralled...the music made me want to laugh, cry and dance all at the same time. I don't know if I'd ever heard Irish music before, but I do know I'd never heard anything quite like that sound, and I wanted more!

Shortly thereafter, we got cable TV and I learned that the Irish Rovers had a weekly program on the CBC (one of the "new" channels we got with our cable subscription). I watched once, and was hooked...after that, I never missed a Wednesday night, if I could help it (and if I had to be away, I made my sister sit in front of the TV with a tape recorder...what I wouldn't have given for a VCR back then!). I begin to seek out Irish Rovers albums in our local record store, and soon had quite a collection, bought from my babysitting money. And when they performed in Spokane...man, I was first in line at the box office to get tickets! (one of my most cherished possesions is an album cover I got autographed by the entire band at one of their Spokane concerts).

I didn't just listen to the music, I lived it. When other kids my age were getting into Disco, I was learning to play the tin whistle (inspired by Will Millar) and incorporating Irish songs into my vocal repertoire. Thanks to the Rovers, I was turned on to other Irish and Scottish groups...The Dubliners, The Chieftains, The Boys of the Lough, The Corries, etc. But the Irish Rovers remained my firm favorite, and even after their TV show was canceled, I carried the music with me to college and beyond, in my LP collection, in the collection of audiotapes I'd forced my poor sister to make, and in my voice and fingers. :smile:

Some years later, as I was scanning newspapers as part of my job with an advertising agency, I came across an article promoting a concert by a group called simply "The Rovers." Reading the article, I came to learn that the group had dropped "Irish" from their name to indicate their "expanded" repertoire. A friend who was able to go to the concert came back and told me she was very disappointed, because they did very little Irish stuff and seemed to be leaning toward a Country-Western sound. I was terribly saddened to hear that, and hoped they'd find their way back to the sound that had captivated me as a teenager. As the years went by, however, no new Irish Rovers albums appeared in the record stores...and as CDs began to replace LPs, they pretty much disappeared entirely. When it became obvious that my old LPs were reaching the end of their lives, I started searching for Irish Rovers albums on CD, but the only one I could find was one of their earlier albums (and not one of my favorites), "The Best of The Irish Rovers." When no new or old Irish Rovers CDs appeared in the record stores, I decided the group must have disbanded.

A couple of years ago, my old turntable finally died. My LPs were pretty near unplayable anyway, and the audiotapes had long since self-destructed. I came to the sad conclusion that the sound that had so captivated me as a youngster was lost forever.

Then a couple of months ago, I learned from someone here at C&F that Will Millar had embarked on a solo career. I found his CDs on-line, and was very happy with them...they're all instrumental, but some very fine whistling indeed! Yesterday I decided to do a 'net search to see if any of the other members were doing solo work...and guess what I found?

<A HREF="http://www.irish-rovers.demon.co.uk/">The Official Irish Rovers Website</A>

It actually took me a second to realize that this was, indeed THE Irish Rovers...after all, it had been a good 15 years since I'd seen any of them. I knew that Will Millar was no longer with the group, and that Jimmy Ferguson had passed away in 1997, and my first thought was "who are these guys calling themselves The Irish Rovers???" Then I looked a little closer, and recognized George Millar, Joe Millar and Wilcil McDowell. And "Irish"...?

I clicked on one of the sound samples, and that same sound that I fell in love with so many years ago came rolling out of the speakers...some new voices, to be sure, but there was no mistaking George Millar's voice on "The Rose of Kilrea"! I swear, I listened to every single sample with tears rolling down my cheeks. You know how evocative music is...you hear something you used to love and it takes you straight back...and this took me back to the days when I first fell in love with Irish music :smile:.

I'm so happy, I could dance a jig if I knew how...maybe I'll just go downstairs and play one instead! I know where my music budget for next month is going! Straight into acquiring NEW Irish Rovers CDs!

Thanks for bearing with me...I figured this was one of the few places on the web where people might understand just how thrilling this is for me :smile:

Redwolf
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

*hands Redwolf a tissue
/Bloomfield
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-27 14:37, Bloomfield wrote:
*hands Redwolf a tissue
Thanks (sniff!). Ain't music grand?

Redwolf
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I bookmarked it--maybe I'll get lucky and they'll come to my area sometime!

R.
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Wow.
In 1986, we here in Vancouver hosted a World Expo that lasted from May to October, and I worked there for the duration. Right across the courtyard from my office was a pub run by this group! They played regularly, and a seat there was hard to get without a line-up of at least an hour.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them and considered it a treat! Obviously, I wasn't alone.

Jef
PS I also caught those shows on the CBC in the 70s (along with Bruno Gerussi's Beachcombers show... the nostalgia is thick here).
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-27 15:18, Jeferson wrote:
Wow.
In 1986, we here in Vancouver hosted a World Expo that lasted from May to October, and I worked there for the duration. Right across the courtyard from my office was a pub run by this group! They played regularly, and a seat there was hard to get without a line-up of at least an hour.

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them and considered it a treat! Obviously, I wasn't alone.

Jef
PS I also caught those shows on the CBC in the 70s (along with Bruno Gerussi's Beachcombers show... the nostalgia is thick here).
Very cool! I worked at a World Expo myself...Expo '74, in Spokane, WA. I was just a teenager, but a friend and I managed to get taken on as volunteers with the Folklife Festival. Spent the entire summer, every day from 11 a.m. until the fair closed at 10 p.m., having a blast helping people from different cultures demonstrate their crafts and culinary arts (we were only supposed to work 4-hour shifts, but it was so much fun we didn't want to leave, so would take a break to walk the fair and then come back and do another shift!).

I'm not surprised The Irish Rovers had a line out the door at the Expo in Vancouver...when they used to play the Spokane Opera House, they'd sell out every year...which is why I'd be at the box office the day tickets went on sale, hoping to get a front-row seat.

I remember "Beachcombers" too! I used to watch CBC a lot...it was a nice change from the standard ABC/NBC/CBS fare (Spokane was a bit late getting on the cable TV bandwagon, and didn't even get PBS until I was 12 or so).

Redwolf
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

Redwolf,

Expo 74 in Spokane was a major event of my childhood! My family lived in Pullman, and we spent that summer entertaining a nearly endless string of relatives who used Expo as a good excuse to come visit us. It was great fun, and needless to say we all had season passes and spent LOTS of time there.

I have to admit, though, that I didn't develop musical taste until much later in life, so I wasn't listening to the Irish Rovers back then.

Sarah
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-27 16:20, HDSarah wrote:
Redwolf,

Expo 74 in Spokane was a major event of my childhood! My family lived in Pullman, and we spent that summer entertaining a nearly endless string of relatives who used Expo as a good excuse to come visit us. It was great fun, and needless to say we all had season passes and spent LOTS of time there.

I have to admit, though, that I didn't develop musical taste until much later in life, so I wasn't listening to the Irish Rovers back then.

Sarah
Wow! Small world! It was the same with us...seems like every distant relative we had found their way to Spokane that summer. My parents and sister had season passes, but I didn't need one, because I could get in free anytime, just by showing my volunteer badge at the Lilac Gate near the Flour Mill. I literally lived there that summer...I'd get up in the morning, gulp down breakfast, hop on the bus and be at the Folklife Festival right when it opened at 11...then my friends and I would hang around the fair until after the fireworks, when my dad would pick us up. Talk about a great way to spend a summer! Even during the school year I spent all my weekends and often my afternoons there. It was so hard when Expo finally closed...I'd made a lot of friends, and coming back to the "real world" was painful.

Do you remember the IMAX movie at the American Pavilion? That was my favorite...I think I saw it more than 50 times that summer :smile:

Redwolf
HDSarah

Post by HDSarah »

On 2003-01-27 17:04, Redwolf wrote:

Do you remember the IMAX movie at the American Pavilion? That was my favorite...I think I saw it more than 50 times that summer :smile:

Redwolf
Oh yes, that was when IMAX was new and we'd never seen anything like it before. I remember that movie well because it was so realistic it made me motion-sick!

The movie I really loved was at some other country's pavilion -- Hungarian, maybe?? At various junctures in the film, the audience got to vote on what would happen next (by pushing buttons on the arm of the seat -- very cool), so it was never the same.

Sarah
Blackbeer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blackbeer »

Hi my name is Tom and I am an Irish Rovers` fan from Spokane..............
I also thought they were no more. I don`t think they were the first Irish band I ever heard but close to it. I remember when I was a little kid we would have these big family get togethers at my grandparents house and the Canadian contigent would be down. My grandfather was from Nova Scotia and my grandma was from Alberta. Anyway they were all in kilts and had drums and pipes and would actualy march up and down the street. And they were great.
Then when I was living in Aptos there was a 3 hour radio show once a week on PBS that played nothing but Irish Trad. In fact all the Irish music I have right now is what I taped from that radio show. That was in the early 70`s.
I was living in Guatamala when the sailing bug struck me so I headed back to Bellingham and bought a friends boat and before I took off on my first real cruise I went over to Spokane to visit my mom and grandparents and take in Expo. I think the thing that blew me away the most was that the train station was gone. I remember when I was about 5 or 6 we would get on the train to head over to the coast to visit my moms side of the family. Believe it or not they were still using steam engines and it took 12 hours to get there. We rode in a pulman car with fold down beds and were chimed to dinner and breakfast and it was just too cool.
Oh boy; memory lane here :grin:

Tom
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Wow...it really IS a small world!

Yes...I was sad when they tore down the old train station on Havermale Island. I had collected coins for the "Save Our Station" group, and had really hoped they'd turn it into a railway pavilion at Expo. I'm glad they saved the clock tower, anyway...downtown just wouldn't look the same without it.

Redwolf
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Thanks, Redwolf--what an interesting thread!

I've never been to Washington (much less the Expo), but I, too, fell in love with the Irish Rovers as a young 'un.

I've perversely stopped listening to vocalists but I'm willing to overcome that prejudice for <i>some</i> groups!

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

On 2003-01-27 21:44, mvhplank wrote:
Thanks, Redwolf--what an interesting thread!

I've never been to Washington (much less the Expo), but I, too, fell in love with the Irish Rovers as a young 'un.

I've perversely stopped listening to vocalists but I'm willing to overcome that prejudice for <i>some</i> groups!

M
I'm not listening to vocalists much these days either...primarily because I just can't NOT sing along, and I've got terribly laryngitis right now thanks to this awful cold that's going 'round...safer for my poor voice to stick to instrumental music (I have to be able to sing by February 2, as we're doing a special choral evensong for Candlemas).

It's wonderful to find so many other people who like The Irish Rovers! I wonder why their CDs aren't available in music stores (at least here in the States)...I would think they'd sell at least as well as The Clancy Brothers CDs, and I see a ton of those here.

Redwolf
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2003-01-28 01:37, Redwolf wrote:

It's wonderful to find so many other people who like The Irish Rovers! I wonder why their CDs aren't available in music stores (at least here in the States)...I would think they'd sell at least as well as The Clancy Brothers CDs, and I see a ton of those here.

Redwolf
I gather, from a very quick browse, that their early work is yet to be reissued—no systematic program, no box sets? I'm surprised. But reissue releases are very haphazard, especially for artists who have slipped out of the public eye. It wouldn't surprise me if, in six months time, you were in a position to replace all those old LPs. (Wouldn't surprise me if you weren't either, unfortunately.)
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2003-01-28 01:37, Redwolf wrote:

It's wonderful to find so many other people who like The Irish Rovers! I wonder why their CDs aren't available in music stores (at least here in the States
I saw one of their CDs today in the music section of a Barnes and Noble store in San Jose, so evidently they ARE available.