Hello, Whistlefolk!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fibulo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fibulo »

Hello!

In my haphazard musical doodling, I have played recorder (not for ages), the viola (sounded like a screeching cat), and the harmonica (still cranking at it).
Recently, I have turned eyes towards the whistle, inpart because
1) I can do the lip whistle fairly well
2) I'm partial to Celtic music
3) Watching various episodes of Star Trek
Having no experience with whistles of the musical variety, and so I would borrow shamelessly from your collective experiences.
What makes a good whistle?

sincerely,
fibulo
TANSTAAFL!
- R.A. Heinlein
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Greetings, and welcome!

I would start by checking out the content on the Chiff and Fipple home page, especially the Inexpensive, Expensive, and Low Whistle guides.

Then I'd pick about three or four different kinds of inexpensive whistles, and buy them, along with the Clarke set that comes with the Bill Ochs tutur and CD.

Start working through the tutorial. You'll be addicted before you know it. :smile:

Good luck and best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2003-01-26 19:11, fibulo wrote:
Hello!
Hi there, Fibulo! I second the advice to just get one or two inexpensive whistles (they cost as little as $3 for a perfectly serviceable Meg...up to...well, a lot more) and seeing if its your cup of tea (which leads me to wonder how many session tune names you can fit in a normal conversation)

And as for your quote...Heinlein was specific...lets not pretty it up... There AIN'T NO such thing as a free lunch: Tanstaafl!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Fibulo,

I'm a bit of a lip-whistler myself. I tend to listen to tunes I'm learning and lip-whistle along to them, while cycling or walking to work. Everyone thinks I'm really cheerful (I get some looks and some grins), they don't realise I'm a really miserable get who just happens to be learning cheerful Irish tunes.

I'd recommend, as above, the Clarke set (whistle, book & CD), plus a Generation style whistle (Generation, Walton, Feadog, Clare, Doolin) as an alternative, in D of course.

I wouldn't splash out on an $80 high end whistle yet, though some reckon they are easier to play and positively help new players.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2003-01-26 19:11, fibulo wrote:

I have played recorder (not for ages), the viola (sounded like a screeching cat), and the harmonica (still cranking at it).
Recently, I have turned eyes towards the whistle
Welcome! Sounds like you're about as bad off as me. It gets worse. If it gets you really bad, soon you'll be trying to play harmonica and whistle at the same time. Here's a clip.
Reasonable person
Walden
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

On 2003-01-28 07:54, Martin Milner wrote:
...Everyone thinks I'm really cheerful (I get some looks and some grins), they don't realise I'm a really miserable get who just happens to be learning cheerful Irish tunes.
hey Martin, That might be just it!
I always thought I was schizophrenic!
Thanks for the insight.

Now back to the regular sheduled program.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2003-01-28 08:39, pixyy wrote:

hey Martin, That might be just it!
I always thought I was schizophrenic!
Thanks for the insight.

Now back to the regular scheduled program.
Pixyy, I used to think I was schizophrenic too, but now I'm in two minds about it.