Davy Spillane Low Whistle Techniques

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Davy Spillane Low Whistle Techniques

Post by Mikethebook »

Not everyone is a huge fan of Davy Spillane's low whistle playing like me. I know many ITM purists frown on or disregard his music and that's perhaps understandable and fair enough. But nobody can dispute the influence he's had in promoting the popularity of the low whistle or his innovative style (which I've heard Donal Lunny suggest comes from his love of blues music). And because of that, I'm amazed that there are no resources, at least that I can find, that address the "ornaments" (maybe some not strictly ITM) and "techniques" that he uses, especially in his slower music. As a relative beginner still training my ears to hear what's going on, I would love for those who know and understand, to talk about some of the things Davy does because I, for one, am keen to learn any such stuff for my own playing. Any takers or thoughts?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Davy Spillane Low Whistle Techniques

Post by pancelticpiper »

I'd need to know what specific "lick" you're talking about in each case. You could post a YouTube video and ask "what is that that Davy does at 3:14?" and so forth.

What I've heard, in general, is standard traditional Irish ornaments (he is, after all, an uilleann piper) but with some "expressive" breath stuff going on.

OK I found this quick on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CDYkiViwt0

Lovely playing, but nothing outside the boundries, as far as I can see, of traditional sean nos air playing as done on the uilleann pipes.

If there's a specific thing you might point it out so we can hear what you mean.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for your reply. I was speaking in general terms about the things he does but to give you a couple of examples, in Titanic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGFEAUEfzE at around 41 sec he, I think, overblows a note at the end of phrase. I've tried that but it's not so easy if you've a whistle with a fair bit of backpressure. His Overton has hardly any!! But between about 51 sec and I minute he repeatedly hits a high note (is it G) making it sound discordant. I'm not sure what he's doing there. Is it repeated cutting or what?

Thanks for the YouTune clip. There are better clips of him playing the same thing. Now what you said make me curious.
nothing outside the boundries, as far as I can see, of traditional sean nos air playing as done on the uilleann pipes.

I've a vague idea of what sean nos is but hadn't a clue that is a part of pipe playing. If that's a regular part of his approach I would love to learn more. Any idea where I can learn about such Uillean pipe techniques?

Thanks for your help.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If that's a regular part of his approach I would love to learn more. Any idea where I can learn about such Uillean pipe techniques?

You expect to find some hints here:

in reality though...

you may be disappointed.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Yes, that's what I've heard.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mikethebook wrote:in Titanic at around 41 sec he, I think, overblows a note at the end of phrase. I've tried that but it's not so easy if you've a whistle with a fair bit of backpressure.
He's not just overblowing it (the high A). He's gently throating it with a glottal instead of tonguing. Make a little "cough" or " huh" and huff a brisk puff of air. Voilà. It's a standard flute (and whistle) technique.
Mikethebook wrote:between about 51 sec and I minute he repeatedly hits a high note (is it G) making it sound discordant. I'm not sure what he's doing there. Is it repeated cutting or what?
He hits that long G four times.

1: Slide from F# to G, then finger vibrato, then cut.
2: Long roll on G, partly flubbed (squeak).
3: Cut into the G, hold, then tap. Basically a "stretched" short roll.
4: Melodic variation, f|gagf dz

It's actually all standard stuff, Mike, not special sean nós or piping technique. But maybe that will help you to hear it.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It's actually all standard stuff, Mike, not special sean nós or piping technique. But maybe that will help you to hear it.
It can be , and has been, argued the 'standard stuff' originates in either branch of the tradition. But maybe we should allow the nits a quiet easter weekend.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

MTGuru thanks for the enlightenment. Glottal stops I've never tried or understood yet but I understand what you're saying. Thanks for giving the cuts and rolls in there. As you say it's all standard stuff but now that pancelticpiper has mentioned it I would like to know more about sean nos and how pipers try to emulate it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A good start would be to listen to good sean-nos singers and then seek out pipers (or whistle/flute players, or fiddlers) playing the same air. Or listen to pipers who are good singers both sing and play the same air. Eamonn Brophy is a magnificent sean nos singer and a fine piper. I could listen to him forever. (although recordings may be admittedly hard to find). Séamus Ennis used to have a few songs that he both played and sang, Bhean Dubh a Gleanna for example.
Not much in the way of short cuts though.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the suggestion.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For the day that's in it, Caoineadh na dTri Mhuire may be nice one to look at.

Joe Heaney sang a mighty version of it and it's a simple enough tune on the whistle. On youtube there used to be a version sung by (if I remember correctly) Joe John Mac An Iomaire, Johnny Mhaártín Learaí, Pádraic Tom Photch Ó Ceannabháin, Padráig Ó Flatharta, Pádráig Phat Phatch Ó Ceannabháin with piper Seán McKiernan playing the tune between some verses.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

MTGuru wrote:
It's actually all standard stuff not special sean nós or piping technique.
The 'standard stuff' on the whistle, when played by a piper, IS piping technique. Breandan Breathnach doesn't even discuss flute and whistle technique, saying that it can be considered as being under discussion when piping technique is discussed. Another way to look at it is that there's a shared traditional Irish woodwind technique, but whistlers and fluters have long borrowed "licks" from the pipes, a spectacular example being Matt Molloy.

BTW in that video of Davy Spillane I linked to, note that he repeatedly clears the "moisture" out of the windway of his Overton-style whistle... so much for Overtons not clogging when played "properly". :poke:
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Great stuff, thanks! BTW I think Davy just got into the habit of ensuring his whistle was clear and also up to temperature through a long song especially when he isn't continually playing. He may do it at the end of a phrase and then again before starting another. Check out this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAwrdiDao58. I counted at least ten times he cleared the whistle on camera. But Colin's advice to me has always to give it a quick blast if you haven't played for ten seconds since aluminium will drop in temperature very quickly.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Mikethebook wrote:MTGuru thanks for the enlightenment. Glottal stops I've never tried or understood yet but I understand what you're saying. Thanks for giving the cuts and rolls in there. As you say it's all standard stuff but now that pancelticpiper has mentioned it I would like to know more about sean nos and how pipers try to emulate it.
Glottal stop = Uh-Oh :D

ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Ecohawk, is that a joke . . . or seriously is that how you do a glottal spot? If it's serious then two questions. How come there's two parts to it? And I tried doing it while playing a whistle and I'm not sure what effect I'm supposed to get. Do you want to enlarge on that for me? Thanks.