Shaw high D Whistle Care?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Shaw high D Whistle Care?

Post by Mr Ed »

I just got a new Shaw and can't find any info on what care is needed. With the whistles I make, I use part of a rifle cleaning rod and strips of microfiber to swab them out and help dry the wood block. The cleaning rod won't fit the Shaw, so I was thinking of using soft 12 inch pipe cleaners. Any suggestions besides those?

Thanks,
Ed
megapop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Shaw high D Whistle Care?

Post by megapop »

I've got to admit that I didn't ever particularly care for mine, and they're still alright. (Not even a recorder swap fits into the narrow end of the bore...)
I think it's okay to just let them dry a few minutes after playing, i.e. not putting them into a plastic carrier immediately. The wood they use for the fipple block doesn't swell or mould or something, of course. As for the windway, the usual strip of paper is fine.
return null;
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

I'm not sure what wood is used for the block in the Shaw, but it definitely dries faster than whatever the dowel is I use for My Finely Tuned Leaky Pipes. Those need swabbing, or eventual soaking in alcohol to kill the mold/mildew that will develop if left alone.

I also noticed that there's a semi/gloss coat on the floor of the duct. That probably helps too.

Oh, and the thumb-to-the-duct squish the roof tweak sure makes the second octave A and B sweeter and easier to reach.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

megapop wrote:I've got to admit that I didn't ever particularly care for mine, and they're still alright. (Not even a recorder swap fits into the narrow end of the bore...)
I think it's okay to just let them dry a few minutes after playing, i.e. not putting them into a plastic carrier immediately. The wood they use for the fipple block doesn't swell or mould or something, of course. As for the windway, the usual strip of paper is fine.
Second that, the only care i have given my Clarke C is care not to step or sit on it :) Can't say i detect a difference compared to when it was new 1993.. well it's a bit rusty come to think of it but i never loved it anyway.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Don't sit down with one in your back pocket- they bend easily. Don't ask me how I know this.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Mr Ed

Post by Mr Ed »

brewerpaul wrote:Don't sit down with one in your back pocket- they bend easily. Don't ask me how I know this.
I'm going to try and avoid sitting down with one in my back or front pocket. Can't be a good thing, either way. :o